GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Kdss

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-06, 01:25 PM
SilvahGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kdss

Is this suspension really worth having?? I have a GX w/o it and it drives great, but I might look to upgrade my '05 to a new GX soon, Is it worth the $$$?

Thanks
Old 07-15-06, 02:11 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Imho... YES! when i was shopping for my GX it was KDSS or no GX at all.

dan
Old 07-16-06, 02:20 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a GX without KDSS.

Can anybody pinpoint the advantages of KDSS?
Old 07-16-06, 06:59 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default The difference, at least to me, is quite significant:

Originally Posted by yaro1

Huge difference in handling. I test drove a GX without KDSS and did not like the "floppy" feel. Handled worse than my wie's minivan. With KDSS it was MUCH improved. Still not a Porsche, but much better.
Old 07-16-06, 07:33 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I found putting the setting on sport on my Regular GX feels the same as a GX with KDSS. It didn't justify the cost IMHO. But most on here would disagree with that statement., that the KDSS handling is far surperior. Subjective of course. Test Drive back 2 back and see for yourselves. I am upset that we couldn't get the blackwood with the regular GX. LOL. Again. it's subjective. Actually found a used 06 w/ KDSS at the same price as new one we picked up w/ 5k miles on it, but still couldn't justify the purchase. As you can see by my sig I have modded my GS430 for sportier driving to get rid of the sloppiness of the suspension. So a good handling vehicle I do care about. Good luck on you decision.

PS: The truck was for the wife and she loves the softer ride. So I really didn't have a say in the matter anyway even if I wanted the KDSS.

Last edited by nate579; 07-16-06 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-16-06, 07:48 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yaro1

when it comes to offroading, sway bars are a disadvantage because the bar itself is linked to the body and both control arms which limits suspension travel. KDSS basically "disconnects" the sway bar to allow full suspension travel.
what a lot of off roaders do is get
"sway-bar disconnects" and manually disconnect the sway bars right before hitting the trails, then reconnecting them when they're done offroading, with KDSS it does it for you.

now when it comes to onroad, this is where i think the KDSS is really valuable. the transition from disconnected sway to fully locked sway is seamless and the truck does not sway at all around hard turns. the only minimal sway i feel is tire slop from the michellins. let's say some 20" wheels with high performance rubber, and we're talking about FX35/45 type handling on a REAL suv.

hope that makes sense
dan
Old 07-17-06, 01:36 AM
mkool
Rookie

KDSS is air suspension?? I'm kinda new here. Like 06' Toyota 4runner ltd has one.
KDSS = X-REAS Sport Suspension ??
Old 07-17-06, 08:09 AM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mkool
KDSS is air suspension?? I'm kinda new here. Like 06' Toyota 4runner ltd has one.
KDSS = X-REAS Sport Suspension ??
KDSS has to do with sway bars
All GX470's have rear height adjustable air suspension (not sure if it's the same one as the optional 4runner's but i'm sure very similar)
XREAS has to do with the shocks that pushes fluid, very different from KDSS

dan
Old 07-18-06, 08:56 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool What are you talking about ...

Originally Posted by nate579
Personally, I found putting the setting on sport on my Regular GX feels the same as a GX with KDSS. It didn't justify the cost IMHO. But most on here would disagree with that statement., that the KDSS handling is far surperior. Subjective of course. Test Drive back 2 back and see for yourselves. I am upset that we couldn't get the blackwood with the regular GX. LOL. Again. it's subjective. Actually found a used 06 w/ KDSS at the same price as new one we picked up w/ 5k miles on it, but still couldn't justify the purchase. As you can see by my sig I have modded my GS430 for sportier driving to get rid of the sloppiness of the suspension. So a good handling vehicle I do care about. Good luck on you decision.

PS: The truck was for the wife and she loves the softer ride. So I really didn't have a say in the matter anyway even if I wanted the KDSS.
Actually, adjusting the suspension is nothing like KDSS. If you have understood how to mod your GS430 for better handling, than you should understand how the KDSS works. If your willing to modify your GS for better handling, how in the world can you rationalize your dismissal of the KDSS? They are the similar modifications by definition, they pursue the same result. Better handling .... I just find your comments inconsistent. Sound like "Sour Grapes" statements. Did you even try the KDSS back to back, or at all? If you had, your would probably not be making some of those statements. In flat driving, there little difference between the two types. In mountain driving (winding road curves) or offroad, the differences are pretty dramatic.
Old 07-18-06, 10:21 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I test drove both the standard and the KDSS. The best way to sum it up is, the KDSS is like 3 settings stiffer on the suspension setting. It does handle better than non KDSS around corners, but not enough to justify the cost and the limited availablilty. Also, I didnt like the black maple trim. I am quite happy with the ride of my non KDSS GX. Recently, I did the 2006 cluck TSB on the drive shaft and rear lower control arms. That actually make the suspension stiffer, the GX handles better in the corner now and I don't get that drifting on the highway on winding days. The TSB acts almost like a 2 notch increase in the suspension setting.
Thye best thing to do is test drive the GX with the new TSB and the KDSS. If you like to take hard corners with a 6000 pound truck, then the KDSS is a must.
Old 07-18-06, 01:52 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The G Man
If you like to take hard corners with a 6000 pound truck, then the KDSS is a must.
don't you mean "if you wanna make hard corners easier with a 6000 pound truck, then KDSS is a must."?

J/K

but yea, i don't think KDSS is only for agressive driving though. not having any body roll even at a 30mph turn is sheer comfort.

dan
Old 07-18-06, 05:02 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=The G Man] Recently, I did the 2006 cluck TSB on the drive shaft and rear lower control arms. That actually make the suspension stiffer, the GX handles better in the corner now and I don't get that drifting on the highway on winding days. The TSB acts almost like a 2 notch increase in the suspension setting.

Hmmmm? I'm due to have the TSB for the clunk done this week but I don't like the fact that it makes the GX ride stiffer. Depending on a roads roughness, there are times I wish the suspension could be set a couple of notches softer than the now softest setting.
Anyone else who had the TSB done for the clunk notice that it makes the GX ride stiffer?
Old 07-18-06, 07:22 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default I'll let you know tomorrow or Thursday, as I dropped mine off this afternoon.

[QUOTE=BobsGX]
Originally Posted by The G Man
Recently, I did the 2006 cluck TSB on the drive shaft and rear lower control arms. That actually make the suspension stiffer, the GX handles better in the corner now and I don't get that drifting on the highway on winding days. The TSB acts almost like a 2 notch increase in the suspension setting.

Hmmmm? I'm due to have the TSB for the clunk done this week but I don't like the fact that it makes the GX ride stiffer. Depending on a roads roughness, there are times I wish the suspension could be set a couple of notches softer than the now softest setting.
Anyone else who had the TSB done for the clunk notice that it makes the GX ride stiffer?
They were working on it when I left & I'll likely get it back tomorrow or Thursday at the latest. Had them check to see if it is leaning as well.
Old 07-19-06, 05:55 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

JWS3, it will be interesting to see how the cluck TSB affect the GX with KDSS. Keep us updated please.
Old 07-19-06, 05:57 AM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ADVocate
Actually, adjusting the suspension is nothing like KDSS. If you have understood how to mod your GS430 for better handling, than you should understand how the KDSS works. If your willing to modify your GS for better handling, how in the world can you rationalize your dismissal of the KDSS? They are the similar modifications by definition, they pursue the same result. Better handling .... I just find your comments inconsistent. Sound like "Sour Grapes" statements. Did you even try the KDSS back to back, or at all? If you had, your would probably not be making some of those statements. In flat driving, there little difference between the two types. In mountain driving (winding road curves) or offroad, the differences are pretty dramatic.
Yes I did drive them back to back and was not impressed for cost. Again (IMHO) So my statement still holds. Plust I do not drive the GX like my GS. The truck will probaly never see mountain, aggressive, offroad or sport drive. What the truck will see is the parking lot in front of Wal Mart, Target, Grocery Stores and the occasional Home Depot trips. Never said it was a bad or useless system. I just saying it was not worth it too me for our type of driving and I would guess you didn't read the edited post script. Calm down have a cigar and drink on me.

Quick Reply: Kdss