GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

the KDSS option, Sport package, "build your own" on Lexus.com?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-06, 07:56 AM
Traveler80
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question the KDSS option, Sport package, "build your own" on Lexus.com?

I've been on the Lexus web site, using the "build your own" function, and I can't seem to put one together with KDSS. As near as I can tell, perusing the Lexus site, KDSS comes as part of a "Sport" package that I'm not given as an option in "build your own". Am I missing something obvious here? Is there another package or accesory I need to choose in order to be eligible for KDSS?

Thanks!
Old 07-30-06, 09:49 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Didn't see it either. I commented to Lexus & was told they are "working on it"

Guess they havn't made much progress. Suggest you send them a query and/or call.
Old 07-30-06, 10:57 AM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Smile Kdss

I've played around with the "build your own" using different zip codes. The sport package does show up on a few zip codes down near the bottom of the Option Packages. I don't find it as a stand alone option, but it is one on the White GX's. I just had my dealer in Calif special order me a Cypress Green with Gray interior and the sport pkg. It was just eaiser.
Old 08-02-06, 11:27 PM
markmit
Driver School Candidate

Default KDSS without sports package? Not in California

West Coast dealers only get KDSS as part of the sports package, unless you make a special order. I originally was unimpressed by pictures of the sports package's dark interior, so I contacted several dealers in an attempt to get KDSS without the sports package. The responses that I got revealed that different zones in the United States get different package configurations. Basically, dealers in the West Coast zone get lots of GX470s with no KDSS nor sports package, some cars with both KDSS and sports package, and none with KDSS but not the sports package.

The nearest dealers with KDSS-only cars were in Colorado, and those dealers seemed to be unenthusiastic about selling to another zone. So, I went back to two California dealers and asked about making a special order. Both local dealers said it would take about 3 months to build and ship a car from Japan. At this point, I gave up and bought a car with the sports package. I have not regretted my decision. In person, the dark interior looks wonderful, and the bundled rear spoiler always keeps the rear window clean. Plus, the KDSS makes my daily commute down a mountain road much more fun.
Old 08-03-06, 04:55 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that it is dumb to have different models in different places. So the KDSS package is offered in Cali...ok...well...why? Most of those users won't even use the 4WD!

CV
Old 08-05-06, 04:55 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
I think that it is dumb to have different models in different places. So the KDSS package is offered in Cali...ok...well...why? Most of those users won't even use the 4WD!

CV
I agree. Here in the NYC area we lose out on a lot of options for reasons I kind of understand but don't recognize. I actually had a dealer in CT spew incorrect information about Lexus phasing out Mark Levinson in the new IS because his dealer doesn't get them. Go online put in a magic zip code and you'll see the ML.

You also see it with PCS, KDSS, Adaptive Cruise (normally found with PCS), active suspension and more. I'll go as far as saying it's prejudice to not allow customers to get the same features in a US Market. You can go back to Special Order, but many customers aren't aware of it, and 3 months delivery time is unrealistic, not to mention the fees involved in the process. Most dealers won't entertain a dealerswap, at least not forwardly. Lastly, many customers don't know to ask, because when they go to the Lexus website, they see vehicles based on their zip code.

Old 08-08-06, 10:59 AM
loflin
Pole Position

May sound like I'm defending Lexus (I'm not, just give the explanation for understanding).

There are not different models for different parts of the country. However, the regional managers get to input the models/builds they want as part of the supply/demand process. They base this on their previous sales, so the process is "backwards looking". When Lexus comes out with something new (i.e. KDSS or even a "sport package"), they don't order many (at first), because they've never had demand for it (obviously, because it wasn't invented yet!). I think this is misguided. But it's NOT an overt process to be prejudiced against certain areas/people not being able to get certain options. It's just a conservative business decision.

On the web site, Lexus has decided to only show you "buildable" models based on inventory in your area (that is why you put in the zip code). This means what is shown to you varies by zip code input (try putting in zip codes of some other major cities like LA, Chicago, NY, Miami, Dallas, etc.), but also can vary week to week.

I think this is also misguided by Lexus and confusing, but basically it is an attempt to only direct you toward cars that they can supply to you, relatively fast.

On special orders, you can do it, the Lexus dealer doesn't like to (any more than any other car dealer), they all would rather sell what's on the lot, or at best, one they can send a driver over to pick up (i.e. within 150 miles).

Finally, you CAN get your dealer to negotiate with other dealers on incoming stock, even across the US. Again, they don't necessarily want to do this, and if they do do it for you, don't expect to be able to turn around and squeeze they real hard on their markup from cost.