GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: which 3 row suv will you guys buy?..why?
gx470
43.75%
'07 bmw x5
29.46%
upcoming jx?
13.39%
mb gl450
5.36%
q7
4.46%
srx
0%
escalade
2.68%
lr3
0.89%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

'07 bmw x5 or gx or upcoming jx?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-06, 10:47 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want the new X5. It looks beautiful and I am sure it handles great, but for all you husbands out there like me, as you already know our women love the GX470 since it's a comfy ride and more luxurious than the competition.

However if you want a sportier SUV with better handling, and a nicely updated revamp, go for the X5.

I am tired of being stuck with the same OEM Lexus Rims that everyone else has out there. They just seem too small for this large truck and Lexus doesn't offer any OEM upgrade to 18"s, so it's hassle to find aftermarket.
Old 10-17-06, 08:10 AM
Salvator
Driver

Originally Posted by TexasGS
I thought the GX 3rd row seats were jump type seats that sat on either side of the back area not in a row? Can you explain how they recline? I haven't looked at the GX very closely so this may be a dumb question.

They fold down from the side... unlike the Land Rover jumpseats of yore, the seating surface and backrest face forward when in use, not sideways... they are attached to the vehicle on the side, not on the back... the two seats, unfolded together, form a third row, not two seperate jumpseats...once folded down, the backrest is unfolded to uncover the seating area ... since the backrest is attached only to the base, it can be reclined within the limits of the back window... Hope this helps!
Old 10-17-06, 05:17 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, I would like to know everyones opinion on this as well. My wifes X5 is off lease in December so we have been looking. We would really like a 3rd row seat. She has driven the Q7 at the Audi event this past summer. They had a Lexus GX and a Volvo XC90 there to compare it to and the Q7 was hands down the best handling and most responsive of them. Unfortunately the GX got the worst marks for handling but the interior is very nice. My wife really wants the GX but after driving it along side the Q7 it is hard to really go that way. .
Texas, if your wife still wants to consider the GX she should probably go to a Lexus dealer and do a fair test drive. I'd hate to make a decision based on a sample a competitor provided!

She can also check out the third row of seats, including how to stow them if that will be something you usually do (the system is rather kludgy for anything but very occasional switches.) In the end it will be a tradeoff.
Old 10-17-06, 06:40 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverLady
Texas, if your wife still wants to consider the GX she should probably go to a Lexus dealer and do a fair test drive. I'd hate to make a decision based on a sample a competitor provided!

She can also check out the third row of seats, including how to stow them if that will be something you usually do (the system is rather kludgy for anything but very occasional switches.) In the end it will be a tradeoff.
I think we are going to go drive the new GX this weekend. The local lexus dealer has one with some sort of stablizing control? Suppose to help with the handling a bit. Do you know anything about that?
Old 10-18-06, 05:37 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Its called the KDSS, it helps with handling on and off road.
Old 10-18-06, 08:14 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Who is this guy ???

Originally Posted by rleggs
which one guys?.....why?
Not to be blunt ...

But what do you work for JD Powers or something and are looking for opinions? Is this the way research is done? I only say this because of your other opinion thread you started ....
Old 10-18-06, 09:29 AM
Salvator
Driver

My wife really wants the GX but after driving it along side the Q7 it is hard to really go that way.
Personally, I would discount the Q7 (and the new X5, even though I am a big BMW fan) merely because it is the first year for both of them... invariably, there will be bugs... One of the reasons we picked the GX was because it had been around for awhile, and one would hope (see "TSB Clunk cancelled?" thread) that they would have a solution in place by now... We will be holding on to our GX for sometime, unless it has major issues... however, if my wife were to entertain trading it in on a BMW X5 in a few years, I'd jump at the chance...
Old 10-18-06, 10:16 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I agree, BMW X5 has alot of quality issues the first few year of their last design. SAAB's relieability record is no better than Range Rover.
Old 10-18-06, 12:34 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I am kind of a modification guy, if we went with the GX is there some suspension/wheel modifications that folks are doing to help with the handling issues. I really like the GX but really want something that handles better. Our X5, I think, handles a bit too rough/tight. The longer wheelbase X5 might handle better but we need to drive one to find out. I don't think you can beat the GX for interior finish but the handling is something that will need to be corrected.
Old 10-18-06, 01:09 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Instead of modification, try to find a GX with KDSS suspension.
Old 10-18-06, 02:57 PM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexguynj
I want the new X5. It looks beautiful and I am sure it handles great......
OMG! Are you serious!?
It's because of people like you... Bangle gets paid to do what he does worst!!
Old 10-19-06, 05:57 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The X5 is not as ugly as the 5 and 7 series. The new 3 series actually look pretty good in my opinion. I just cant imagine anyone paying $80000 for one of those god awful BMW 7 series.
Old 10-19-06, 09:21 AM
Salvator
Driver

Originally Posted by hsk73
OMG! Are you serious!?
It's because of people like you... Bangle gets paid to do what he does worst!!
Actually, its Van Hooeydonk now, isn't it? IIRC, Bangle just oversees multiple product lines...

Truth be told, I don't mind the new look of the BMWs. I do mind some of the interior changes more than the exterior changes. Some of the materials (headliner) feel cheaper, and the ergonomics for things like the mirror adjustment are all wrong. The exterior is definitely different, but not boring... that's one of the issues I have with our GX... it's more interesting looking than many SUVs (due to its height), but still kinda boxy and yet squishy at the same time... like someone draped a wet towel over a cardboard box... The BMW shapes on the other hand are purposeful and dynamic... You either love 'em or hate 'em... which is what Bangle was after... So, do you think I have drank enough of the BMW Kool-Ade yet?

(BTW, the Bangle-Butt on the 7 series can't be all bad... look at all the Asian manufacturers (and MB for that matter) who have copied it! )
Old 10-19-06, 09:45 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Its called the KDSS, it helps with handling on and off road.
Right, it helps to keep the car flat on turns.

This is an suv guys, are we taking 90 degree turns at 80 mph?
I would've liked to have the kdss, but it doesn't matter since most of my driving distances are just straight drivings.

But for better performance, of course the ride will be sacrificed, but depends on your liking, as in the x5, cayenne...more sportier suvs.

Throw me in the fire for liking the 745's also, but only the pre-06 model
Having seen a 740i with some nice clean wheels yesterday, it made me stare for a long time. Now that's the good 'ol bmw
Old 10-19-06, 10:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I think the new Lexus LS have nice lines. Its almost like they look at the 745's design and corrected what they did wrong.

Quick Reply: '07 bmw x5 or gx or upcoming jx?