GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

LX470 or GX470?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-06, 06:01 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LX470 or GX470?

I am looking for a new car to buy
i live in michigan, so i have to buy a car that can withstand a LOT of snow
I already own BMW 740iL , Lexus LX470, and a MB S430 4matic.I have to buy a car for my wife so I am deciding between the GX and the LX.I have personal good experience with the LX but i havnt driven a GX much before.
What do u guys recommend?

Also I have included a picture of my LX
Attached Thumbnails LX470 or GX470?-94088_2001_lexus_lx470.jpg  
Old 10-24-06, 06:23 PM
thedon3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gx-470

Hi,
I have an 04 GX-470. I is a great vehicle and drive perfect in all weather condition. It fits 4 very comfortable. I have 3 rd row seats but, never use them. If you do not have a big family then I think the GX is for you
Old 10-24-06, 06:25 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

O thanks for the advice
i think I might go with the gx because we already have 3vehicles
that can support my family of 5 people
Old 10-24-06, 06:45 PM
hsk73
Lead Lap

LX was too big for my garage and my wife felt that it's too big for her to drive it... GX was just perfect size vehicle for my family!

Small enough for my wife but still have enough room inside for my 5 year old and 3 year old...
I might need LX soon... my kids are growing fast!!
Old 10-25-06, 04:49 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JJG430
I have a GX I also have a baby gril, my wife and two boxer pups and it is way to smalllllllllllllllllllll get the LX
Ummm aren't the sizes pretty similar inside?

They look pretty similar to me and the GX is bigger is some areas?

http://autos.msn.com/research/compar...2169&v=t101076

CV
Old 10-25-06, 09:35 AM
Josh's GX
Rookie

Originally Posted by JJG430
I have a GX I also have a baby gril, my wife and two boxer pups and it is way to smalllllllllllllllllllll get the LX
I have the GX and 4 month old baby boy and two grown boxers (75lbs & 55lbs). I put the boxers in a kennel in the back after I removed the third row seats and my son sits in his car seat behind my wife's front passenger side. We all fit very comfortable; except the boxers. I had to stuff them in a kennel that's made for one 75lbs dog. But they are pretty good if they lay down; which they do for the most part. Unless I take a different turn then they are used to. They come to work everyday with my wife, son and me and even though they sit in the way back, they know the exact way we take. So I think the GX is a very good choice, especially if you already have an LX.
Old 10-25-06, 09:43 AM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Josh's GX
I have the GX and 4 month old baby boy and two grown boxers (75lbs & 55lbs). I put the boxers in a kennel in the back after I removed the third row seats and my son sits in his car seat behind my wife's front passenger side. We all fit very comfortable; except the boxers. I had to stuff them in a kennel that's made for one 75lbs dog. But they are pretty good if they lay down; which they do for the most part. Unless I take a different turn then they are used to. They come to work everyday with my wife, son and me and even though they sit in the way back, they know the exact way we take. So I think the GX is a very good choice, especially if you already have an LX.
Sounds like you need Escalade or Suburban, Josh's GX.
Even LX's not big enough for 75lbs boxers!!

My dad has LX... it's slightly wider and has more lag room...
GX might have more head room though... it's petty tall...
Old 10-25-06, 09:52 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Also dont forget the tailgate differences and suspension setups. I suggest you go and drive a GX for an hour or two and see how it feels in comparison to the LX. If it feels softer and rides more like a car then your wife will most likely like it more.

For the size differences, the GX is taller but LX is wider...neither numbers are too different so both should fit in a garage space equally well.
Old 10-25-06, 12:28 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a 80 lb lab, baby son, and on road trips, the LX is barely big enough for 3 adults and 1 child. In the back, I removed the 3rd row seats and in goes a 36" kennel (1 size too small for the lab, but the 40" is huge). Next to that goes a jogger stroller (need to remove the wheels, otherwise not enough space). Then goes in a paper grocery bag of snacks, another bag for the dog's stuff, 6 gal of water, a bag of extra diapers/paper towels, camera tripod, box of baby food, and the back is full. In the second row goes one passenger, the baby/seat, 4x5 camera case behind the driver's side, duffle bag of personal gear on top of that, medium format photo case on the seat, baby's bouncer, jackets, and diaper bag on top of that. In the front, another passenger, then a duffle full of the baby's stuff on the far front floor. We've only tried the 3 adult + baby + dog configuration on a 800 mile, 4-day trip last weekend. We've done a 2 adult + baby + dog on two 1,600 mile, 11 day trips over the summer.

A few things I really like about the LX:
-rear tailgate...great for a diaper changing table on the road, tailgate lunches, sitting on to put hiking boots on.
-hydraulic (not air) suspension w/ automatic leveling (for heavy loads)
- lots of aftermarket accessories for custom mods.
- lots of online support from LX/landcruiser owners around the world in case you ever plan to do your own maintenance.

Last edited by V8_Fan; 10-25-06 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-25-06, 12:58 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Suhyuk1214, If you already owned a LX, why would you want another one?
Old 10-25-06, 03:48 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

he already said why, for his wifey. They already have their own sedans but now they have to have their own SUVs so they can have one of each to themeselves without having to worry about who spilt coffee on what and didnt clean it up.
Old 10-25-06, 04:05 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

+thanks for the advice I'll probably make my decision after driving the GX
Old 11-06-06, 01:31 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I've only driven the Sequoia (not the "Lexus" version LX), but I didn't care for the feel on the road. It felt a lot like a Suburban or one of the other domestic trucks, whereas the GX feels less like a domestic truck and somehow more like what I'd expect from an higher-end import vehicle -- a bit more under control and less like a cumbersome truck. I know that's kind of vague and it's comparing the GX against the Sequoia, but I've had a few other people who have driven both the LX and the GX describe it pretty much the same way.

As you said, you must simply drive the GX to see which one suits you better. Good luck!
Old 11-06-06, 03:25 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I6turbo
I've only driven the Sequoia (not the "Lexus" version LX)
Sequoia's only counterpart in all of the Toyota Motor Company is the Toyota Tundra Pickup. Nothing to do with the LX470s, besides the motor.

As far as our LX's riding like a domestic truck...i feel like im in space when i compare it to a Tahoe or something...there is no comfort there. While ive only SAT in a GX...i felt more like i was sitting in a lifted minivan then in a SUV. My .02 cents....maybe i need to get out and drive a GX @ the dealership.
Old 11-07-06, 06:57 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
....maybe i need to get out and drive a GX @ the dealership.
I guess I need to do the same with the LX -- I've been in a Land Cruiser, but it was about the most beat-up one I've ever seen, so I couldn't make any fair comparisons to something in good condition. I think the LX is about 830 pounds heavier than the GX (aside from the other design differences) so it'll be interesting to see how it feels.

Quick Reply: LX470 or GX470?