GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Access Behind Rear License Plate Screw GX 470

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-06, 03:40 AM
R3Wood
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Access Behind Rear License Plate Screw GX 470

Hello,

I am Lexus "Newbie" after owning Mercedes for about 20 years. My wife wanted an RX330 back in '05 and after that we were hooked.

I just purchased a 2003 GX470 and would like to access behind the rear license plate screw. Can anyone tell me how to access this area? I was looking at the Backup Lamps, and it looks like that could be the key to accessing the area behind the plate. The interior side of the tail gate did not look to promising for access.

The fitting the plate screw attaches to came loose, so I need to get in there and reattach. I have attached a picture.

Thanks,
Rich
Somers Point, NJ
(Mercedes Free)
Attached Thumbnails Access Behind Rear License Plate Screw GX 470-screw-is-screwed.jpg  
Old 11-20-06, 05:44 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Try using a anchor or tap it the next size up, its much easier.
Old 11-20-06, 06:01 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Access Rear Door

I have to look for the file I have on this...I will try to post it tonight, otherwise I will just open the door panel again on my wife's GX and take pictures at each step. You need to remove the handle first, there are a few screws, then it should just pop out. Sorry I can't be more descriptive than that right now...haven't done it in over a year.

Will get back to you.
Old 11-21-06, 02:24 AM
R3Wood
Rookie

Thanks Johnny. I appreciate any info.

Rich
Old 11-21-06, 02:27 AM
R3Wood
Rookie

Originally Posted by The G Man
Try using a anchor or tap it the next size up, its much easier.
Gman, there is no way to remove the screw. It is attached to the internal fastener. So both just flop in the hole. It truly needs to be removed and replaced from the back of the license plate panel.
Old 11-22-06, 05:08 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Accessing the inside of the rear door

There are a few things you need to do...under the handle there are 2 "hidden" clips you need to remove, these will allow you to remove the handle from the door panel.

Next on the buckle for the door mesh pocket - there are (2) - 1 inch or so square panels you need to remove that reveal a philps screw. The screws also need to be removed.

At this point you can start pulling on the panel and it will seperate from the door frame...be mindful of the speakers in the rear door, and also don't forget to remove the toolset and toolkit door prior to attempting this.

Once you get inside, there will be some thick plastic wrap sealing up the area - be careful not to rip it, when you pull it from the end it will have some very strong silicone holding it in place just push the plastic wrap back in place after you are done finding the broken "tap/clip". You can replace it with a nut/bolt setup, but you just need to remember it is like that when you remove your plate. I'd go with a nylock nut to prevent vibrations from loosening it. Hope the pics help...couldn't really take the door panel completely off since it is my wife's demo, but this should give you a good idea of how to do it.

Last edited by Johnny Mo; 11-22-06 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-24-06, 09:40 AM
R3Wood
Rookie

Thanks Johnny!!
Old 11-24-06, 12:18 PM
R3Wood
Rookie

Johnny,

Mission accomplished. The metal thread fastener is held on with plastic?? So if you cross-thread the screw as someone at the dealer did, the plastic clip breaks right off. I bonded the metal clip back to the plastic and it works great. Thanks again for the pictures and instructions on getting the panel off.

Have a good weekend. Also I included a picture of my Sirius Sportster install in my '03. I used the ash tray hole since I don't smoke. I also used the Vais SLU to connect direct into the Levinson system. It sees it as a Mini Disc changer.

Thanks again.....

Rich G.
Somers Point, NJ
Attached Thumbnails Access Behind Rear License Plate Screw GX 470-sirisulexusinstall.jpg  
Old 11-24-06, 02:33 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by R3Wood

I included a picture of my Sirius Sportster install in my '03. I used the ash tray hole since I don't smoke. I also used the Vais SLU to connect directly into the Levinson system. It sees it as a Mini Disc changer.

Thanks again.....

Rich G.
Somers Point, NJ
Rich, here is my installation of my Sirus Radio tuner in the SunGlass Visor. I also used the Vais module.

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails Access Behind Rear License Plate Screw GX 470-sirus.gif  

Last edited by Capirato; 11-26-06 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-24-06, 05:29 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Sirius

Cap,

that install ROCKS! Nicely done. Rich - glad to help.
Old 11-26-06, 12:50 PM
R3Wood
Rookie

Cap.....

Sha-Weet! Where did you get that unit?

Johnny thanks again!!
Old 11-26-06, 09:53 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cap.....

Sha-Weet! Where did you get that unit?

Johnny thanks again!!
Got it from Crutchfield.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XLNSBZJTH35/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=247350&tab=morephotos&pi=1&i=607SCFM1&display=L#Tab

~ Cap
Old 12-30-20, 03:01 PM
jpnut
Rookie

Hello,

I am Lexus "Newbie" after owning Mercedes for about 20 years. My wife wanted an RX330 back in '05 and after that we were hooked.

I just purchased a 2003 GX470 and would like to access behind the rear license plate screw. Can anyone tell me how to access this area? I was looking at the Backup Lamps, and it looks like that could be the key to accessing the area behind the plate. The interior side of the tail gate did not look to promising for access.

The fitting the plate screw attaches to came loose, so I need to get in there and reattach. I have attached a picture.

Thanks,
Rich
Somers Point, NJ
(Mercedes Free)
I have to replace my license plate as well and will be following the tips here. Does anyone have a part number for the bolt grommet or fastener? Is there a universal part I can use from Autozone? Thanks!
Old 01-03-21, 03:53 PM
jpnut
Rookie

Default Fastener or clip part number.

I understand this this is the screw. M6x1.0 16mm. What about the housing or fastener/clip part number please?
Old 03-25-23, 01:27 PM
ERW
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Follow-up

Originally Posted by Johnny Mo
There are a few things you need to do...under the handle there are 2 "hidden" clips you need to remove, these will allow you to remove the handle from the door panel.

Next on the buckle for the door mesh pocket - there are (2) - 1 inch or so square panels you need to remove that reveal a philps screw. The screws also need to be removed.

At this point you can start pulling on the panel and it will seperate from the door frame...be mindful of the speakers in the rear door, and also don't forget to remove the toolset and toolkit door prior to attempting this.

Once you get inside, there will be some thick plastic wrap sealing up the area - be careful not to rip it, when you pull it from the end it will have some very strong silicone holding it in place just push the plastic wrap back in place after you are done finding the broken "tap/clip". You can replace it with a nut/bolt setup, but you just need to remember it is like that when you remove your plate. I'd go with a nylock nut to prevent vibrations from loosening it. Hope the pics help...couldn't really take the door panel completely off since it is my wife's demo, but this should give you a good idea of how to do it.

I removed the panel and the wrap but am wondering how I get these off? They too are rusted. Any thoughts or guidance?

Clip one to bolt

Clip 2

Quick Reply: Access Behind Rear License Plate Screw GX 470