GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

3 Kids in the GX470? Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-06 | 08:00 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexguynj
I'll check out the Caddy Escalade and those 22" rims are bling, but look very nice. The two captain chairs in the 2nd row could come in handy, since it can give you easier access to the 3rd row. Although Caddy's are not as reliable and luxurious as Lexus, this new gen Caddy Escalade is a definite improvement.
Saw a good looking new generation Tahoe today with a custom grill that the dealer sells. You might check the Tahoe out, its the same vehicle as the Escalade only cheaper.
Old 12-29-06 | 11:59 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

I will check out the Roundabout, since I never looked into this and assumed all the Britax Convertible seats were similar in size.

Due to uneven latch layout in the 2nd row, I will check out if I can latch one and seat belt the other next to each other and still be able to bring down the last half of the 2nd row seating to access the 3rd row. I assume that I will have to remove the infant seats first to access the 3rd row, but not sure. Also with the 3rd row seats in, I have no room to put the stroller in the back.

Thanks again for all your help.
I have the Roundabout in my LX. All the Britax seats are large. Once the seat is forward facing, I plan to get a dedicated forward facing seat, maybe one of the recaro's, and move the britax to the honda.

Isn't there a D-ring in the cargo area that you could use as an anchor for the seat that flips up to access the back?
Old 12-31-06 | 06:43 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
I have the Roundabout in my LX. All the Britax seats are large. Once the seat is forward facing, I plan to get a dedicated forward facing seat, maybe one of the recaro's, and move the britax to the honda.

Isn't there a D-ring in the cargo area that you could use as an anchor for the seat that flips up to access the back?
I think the LX can fit 3 Britax in a row, forward facing?
Old 12-31-06 | 08:37 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

I think the LX can fit 3 Britax in a row, forward facing?
I think so. With my britax rear facing in the center, my mother and wife can sit on either side w/o issues. The problem is how do you get the child in the middle seat if there are 3 child seats in the 2nd row?

Oh, another thing. The 2nd row should belt attachment point (on the wall) is adjustable like the ones up front, meaning you won't have to have your child in a booster seats as long. The point of the booster seat is to elevate the child high enough so the should belt crosses his/her shoulder rather than neck. Virtually all vehicles have non-adjustable should belt attachment points. The ones on the LX (and I'd image the GX) can be adjusted further downward for shorter passengers. Smart!
Old 01-05-07 | 05:40 AM
R3Wood
Rookie

I almost did not buy the GX for this reason. I am not looking forward to installing the seat we have for post-infant/pre-booster. I don't think they put much thought into the latch configurations on the GX. Also, since we are talking about car seats, please read this is you have an infant:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/b...7_seats_ov.htm
Old 01-09-07 | 11:57 AM
98Nav400
Driver

To answer the original question.....

No, not practically or safely.

You will be unable to fit three car seats in the second row. Perhaps if you compromise saftey to find 3 really narrow seats it may be possible but I am sure that is not a solution you are looking for.

If you install the infant seats properly you will be securing the "latch" strap around the rear base post of the front seats thereby creating a strap that will block access to the center seat unless your 3 year old climbs over the top of the seats. I dont believe you have the proper latch for third row seat for the toddler if you chose that route moreover you would have no cargo carrying ability.

I would think you either need a mini-van or large SUV with the second row captain chairs and third row bench to have a truley useable setup.

Congrats on the two new additions to the family....
Old 01-09-07 | 12:07 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 98Nav400
To answer the original question.....

No, not practically or safely.

You will be unable to fit three car seats in the second row. Perhaps if you compromise saftey to find 3 really narrow seats it may be possible but I am sure that is not a solution you are looking for.

If you install the infant seats properly you will be securing the "latch" strap around the rear base post of the front seats thereby creating a strap that will block access to the center seat unless your 3 year old climbs over the top of the seats. I dont believe you have the proper latch for third row seat for the toddler if you chose that route moreover you would have no cargo carrying ability.

I would think you either need a mini-van or large SUV with the second row captain chairs and third row bench to have a truley useable setup.

Congrats on the two new additions to the family....
Thanks again. It seems the only option for a large SUV with Captains Chairs is the Tahoe / Yukon / Escalade. Toddler could climb in between the 2 captain chairs and into the 3rd row. Then I would have to move one of the 3rd row seats in order to fit the stroller in the back. I don't want to get the extended versions of these vehicles since they are huge.
Old 01-09-07 | 01:46 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

I would put two kids in the 2nd row of a LX/LC, then the third in one third row seat. You would need to get a little creative in securing the rear anchor, like use the two d-rings in the rear corners. The straps won't go sideways since there's maybe 1.5 ft of space behind the 3rd row seats in the LX. Anyways, it's worth a try if your dealer has a used one you could try the seats out in. At least after they're all front-facing, you'll still have a quality SUV than having to blow a bunch of money on a full-sized domestic that will be already falling apart as they move to booster seats.
Old 01-15-07 | 01:47 PM
Dr.Zeus
Lead Lap

with a little luck
Old 01-15-07 | 03:58 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
I would put two kids in the 2nd row of a LX/LC, then the third in one third row seat. You would need to get a little creative in securing the rear anchor, like use the two d-rings in the rear corners. The straps won't go sideways since there's maybe 1.5 ft of space behind the 3rd row seats in the LX. Anyways, it's worth a try if your dealer has a used one you could try the seats out in. At least after they're all front-facing, you'll still have a quality SUV than having to blow a bunch of money on a full-sized domestic that will be already falling apart as they move to booster seats.
Hello Jim,

Thanks again for the info. If you use the 3rd row would you suggest taking out the other 1/2 of the 3rd row seat, so you can fit the stroller and other baby gear in, or can you fit that behind the 3rd row without any problems in a LX?
Old 01-15-07 | 03:59 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Max707
Saw a good looking new generation Tahoe today with a custom grill that the dealer sells. You might check the Tahoe out, its the same vehicle as the Escalade only cheaper.
Thanks for the good info. I was looking at a loaded Tahoe and for only a couple grand more you can get a Yukon Denali with all it's nice features and power along with a $1,750 cash back.
Old 01-15-07 | 07:33 PM
rainmn
Driver

Thanks again. It seems the only option for a large SUV with Captains Chairs is the Tahoe / Yukon / Escalade. Toddler could climb in between the 2 captain chairs and into the 3rd row. Then I would have to move one of the 3rd row seats in order to fit the stroller in the back. I don't want to get the extended versions of these vehicles since they are huge.
Not true...new Sequoias are available with captain's chairs in the second row with a removable console between them. I'd take a Sequoia over any of the domestics, having owned a Yukon, an Excursion, and an Expedition over the last several years.
Old 01-15-07 | 08:10 PM
jazgill
Driver School Candidate

I would also look into the Sequoias if you are going to get another vehicle. I have a GX470 and my sister in law has the sequoia. There is a big difference in luxury but don't go domestic. I wanted a yukon but when I asked about safety the answer I recieved was that the SUV's are pretty heavy. I want more safety features than just weight and size to protect my children. That was the main reason for getting a Lexus. The Sequoia will seem very familiar since its the same company making both vehicels but it does seem larger and the captains chairs are great.
Old 01-15-07 | 09:30 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Hello Jim,

Thanks again for the info. If you use the 3rd row would you suggest taking out the other 1/2 of the 3rd row seat, so you can fit the stroller and other baby gear in, or can you fit that behind the 3rd row without any problems in a LX?
Depends on the stroller. I use the BOB Ironman jogger stroller, which is BIG. You'd have to take off all the wheels, which I'm too lazy to do. If your stroller folds to ~1' thick, you can fit it behind the 3rd row or put groceries there. There is some room back there, at least more than the GX...you can fit a big suitcase, etc. Otherwise, I think you'll need the other 3rd row seat removed. But I'd secure anything back there w/ a cargo net so it doesn't fly around and injure anyone. BTW, I never bought an infant seat..got a convertible from the start, partly to save having to buy one seat that would be used for only a few months. The infant seats looked pretty flimsy, plus the cradle that snaps into the base isn't secured w/ any belts. The way it turned out, we didn't really go anywhere when the baby was an infant other than to the pediatrician.
Old 01-15-07 | 11:17 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rainmn
Not true...new Sequoias are available with captain's chairs in the second row with a removable console between them. I'd take a Sequoia over any of the domestics, having owned a Yukon, an Excursion, and an Expedition over the last several years.
I noticed this earlier too with the captain chairs. The Sequoia is a good choice and larger than the GX so a step up in size, but don't you feel that the Sequoia is outdated and way overdue for a revamp? The interior and exterior seem bland & outdated and I feel that a newly revamped Sequoia is just around the corner and don't want to pull the trigger on the older generation.

Can you tell me what problems you had with the Yukon? This family of full size SUVs are the best selling in its segment, so they must be doing something right. Overall reliable?

Quick Reply: 3 Kids in the GX470? Possible?