GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

3 Kids in the GX470? Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-07, 11:22 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jazgill
I would also look into the Sequoias if you are going to get another vehicle. I have a GX470 and my sister in law has the sequoia. There is a big difference in luxury but don't go domestic. I wanted a yukon but when I asked about safety the answer I recieved was that the SUV's are pretty heavy. I want more safety features than just weight and size to protect my children. That was the main reason for getting a Lexus. The Sequoia will seem very familiar since its the same company making both vehicels but it does seem larger and the captains chairs are great.
The Sequoia and Land Cruiser would be my Toyota options. However as I mentioned in an earlier post, both are outdated models. Even the Yukon / Tahoe / Escalade family is new and earned a 5 start crash ratings. They all have options for enhanced sportier handling (similar to BMW having their sports packages) and this new generation of full size SUVs is a huge improvement from the past. The only concern is re-sales on these vehicles probably suck and the reliability.

How did the Sequoia Drive compared to the GX? Same floaty comfy feeling?
Old 01-15-07, 11:25 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
Depends on the stroller. I use the BOB Ironman jogger stroller, which is BIG. You'd have to take off all the wheels, which I'm too lazy to do. If your stroller folds to ~1' thick, you can fit it behind the 3rd row or put groceries there. There is some room back there, at least more than the GX...you can fit a big suitcase, etc. Otherwise, I think you'll need the other 3rd row seat removed. But I'd secure anything back there w/ a cargo net so it doesn't fly around and injure anyone. BTW, I never bought an infant seat..got a convertible from the start, partly to save having to buy one seat that would be used for only a few months. The infant seats looked pretty flimsy, plus the cradle that snaps into the base isn't secured w/ any belts. The way it turned out, we didn't really go anywhere when the baby was an infant other than to the pediatrician.
The infant seats will not last too long and pretty soon in the near future I will have to get 2 convertible seats for the infants. However my older daugther can then be seated into a thinner profile booster seat. Ideally with an LX, I could fit all 3 in that 2nd bench row, so not using the 3rd row and utilizing that rear trunk space to it's fullest for all the strollers and other gear.

To use the 3rd row and still have room in the back of it, required those extended American SUV's like the Surburban or the Yukon XL, but those are monsters of trucks to manuever. This is why the Minivan is such a practical solution, since even though it has the 2nd row buckets, you can shift them over to once side to gain easy access to the 3rd row and then also have room behind the 3rd row for additional gear.
Old 01-16-07, 09:30 AM
GatorGX
Rookie

I know there is risk in an all-new model domestic, but have you checked out the GMC Acadia and the Saturn Outlook? I know the Acadia can be fitted with 2nd row captains chairs. Both are very sharp in my opinion. GM is betting on these big since they are canceling their minivan lines. 26mpg hwy also. Never drove either so not sure on the ride but if you don't need the towing and are considering the Tahoe you may want to check them out. Also, a Denali version of the Acadia is rumored to be on the horizon.

BTW, I just put in two Britax Marathon car seats in our new GX last night. Both in the 2nd row outboard locations and forward facing. Used the LATCH on the passenger side and the lap/shoulder belt on the driver's side so that we could still use the pull-down cupholder armrest in the middle and perhaps an occasional slim rider between the carseats. I ensured not to interfere with the middle center seat's shoulder/lap belt. Seems to be a working configuration for 2 kids.

For the 3rd row I have one seat folded against the window (may just remove) and the other set up or folded on the floor. If we ever (during the carseat years) need to put someone back there we'll have them enter through the rear barn door.

Last edited by GatorGX; 01-16-07 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-16-07, 10:37 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Those britax marathon's are huge! The only way you can fit two in the 2nd row is forward facing unless driver and front passenger are like 5' tall. I'm 6'1", and in the LX, I have the britax roundabout in the center, rear facing. I doubt it would fit in the seat behind me unless front facing. If you put a rear facing seat in the 3rd row, can't you use the same anchors as forward facing 2nd row child seats? (but the baby will feel lonely back there, looking up at the rear window w/ no one else back there).
Old 01-16-07, 11:01 AM
rainmn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexguynj
I noticed this earlier too with the captain chairs. The Sequoia is a good choice and larger than the GX so a step up in size, but don't you feel that the Sequoia is outdated and way overdue for a revamp? The interior and exterior seem bland & outdated and I feel that a newly revamped Sequoia is just around the corner and don't want to pull the trigger on the older generation.

Can you tell me what problems you had with the Yukon? This family of full size SUVs are the best selling in its segment, so they must be doing something right. Overall reliable?
It was 10 years ago that I owned the Yukon, so obviously much has changed. Mine blew the transmision at under 40K miles, constantly leaked water into the vehicle from multiple places, had the clear coat peeling off the paint in several places, and had more rattles, noises and squeaks than you can count. Just generally a piece of junk.
As for the Sequoia being "outdated", I guess that's a matter of preference. Sure, it's been the same for quite a while and is probably due for a change, but that doesn't bother me in the least. I like the looks of it, and would buy one in a second. (I also like the looks of mid 90's Lancruisers over the new models, if that tells you anything.) I'd take a potentially "outdated" Toyota over any domestic truck any day of the week.
Old 01-16-07, 11:43 AM
GatorGX
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
Those britax marathon's are huge! The only way you can fit two in the 2nd row is forward facing unless driver and front passenger are like 5' tall. I'm 6'1", and in the LX, I have the britax roundabout in the center, rear facing. I doubt it would fit in the seat behind me unless front facing. If you put a rear facing seat in the 3rd row, can't you use the same anchors as forward facing 2nd row child seats? (but the baby will feel lonely back there, looking up at the rear window w/ no one else back there).
Yeah, forward facing it is not that bad. I removed the headrests from both outboard 2nd row seats and I reclined the 2nd row to the 8th lock (owner's manual recommended the 5th lock position but they seemed to fit best on 8th). Yeah, the rear facing years were spent in a 1996 4Runner but never both rear facing at the same time (center seat for first child rear facing and later passenger side for 2nd child when older child was forward facing on driver's side). It was very uncomfortable in the 4Runner passenger front seat for a while with a rear-facing Marathon behind it.
Old 01-16-07, 01:40 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rainmn
....I'd take a potentially "outdated" Toyota over any domestic truck any day of the week.
I hear ya and just did. Finally gave up on buying new Explorers every 2-3 years once I hit 80K and just bought a used '04 GX w/ 25K on it (CPO). Furthermore, based on all my neighbors accolades, I'm so confident in the Lex/yota products I also ordered my wife an '07 GS. Don't think I will be, but I hope I'm not wrong... Great forum and have learned lots from the archives already. Thanks!
Old 01-16-07, 04:01 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
I hear ya and just did. Finally gave up on buying new Explorers every 2-3 years once I hit 80K and just bought a used '04 GX w/ 25K on it (CPO). Furthermore, based on all my neighbors accolades, I'm so confident in the Lex/yota products I also ordered my wife an '07 GS. Don't think I will be, but I hope I'm not wrong... Great forum and have learned lots from the archives already. Thanks!
I think you are OK since it wasn't a "ES" seems to be a lot of problems with the ES from what I've read on this forum.