GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Pulling a horse trailer with the GX 470

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-06, 06:32 PM
echrist0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling a horse trailer with the GX 470

We're looking a new GX with the factory towing option. We pull a two horse trainer fairly regularly to horse shows and clinics. Wonder who in this forum has had experience with serious trailering with the GX470.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-29-06, 09:11 AM
scooterpie
Driver School Candidate

As far as towing, not much in winter, but summer, we tow a 21' boat all the time. and its a big boat, dry weight is 2800lbs and its got a 50 gal tank so add about 300lbs. And i dont know if that includes trailer weight either. We go out almost evey weekend, sat and sun. and even at night sometimes, tow it about 15-20 miles. in and out of the water. And i dont even feel it behind me. I have no lag nor does the truck even feel like its struggling. pulling it out of the water is no problem at all either.
Old 01-01-07, 07:10 PM
seanyepez
Rookie

I tow a race car on a two-axle trailer behind my 2006 GX470 about once per month. The GX handles it well, but the ride quality suffers (exacerbated by poorly maintained CA roads). Combined, the car and trailer weigh about 4,500 pounds. Mileage drops to approximately 14 miles per gallon. Normally, I get about 18 miles per gallon.
Old 01-03-07, 03:14 PM
Gene3x
Driver School Candidate

I trailer a 24 ft 3900lb boat + trailer + gas & extras ~ 6300lbs. Ride suffers but it tows it fine. about 11 or 12 mpg.
Old 01-04-07, 10:12 AM
scooterpie
Driver School Candidate

Yes the gas mileage gets all bent out of shape. i think i get about 10 - 12 as well when towing..
Old 01-04-07, 06:41 PM
echrist0
Driver School Candidate

Well, I'm glad that no one said anything really bad about the handling -- our GX470 is due in to the dealer in the next couple of days. We do have a sway bar hitch that has made all of the difference in the world with our Chevy Tahoes.

Glad to hear that the 470 tows OK. I figured that the gas mileage would really stink.
Old 05-24-07, 10:39 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Poor horse trailer towing for the GX470

I pull a Gore 1991 aluminum two horse trailer, complete with two horses on average about twice a week.

When I first bought the trailer, I had a 1986 3/4 ton Suburban with a 350, which I traded in later for a 1996 K2500 Suburban with a 7.4 liter engine. The 1986 Suburban struggled with the trailer, and wasn't able to keep speed up long interstate highway grades. We towed to three-day events around the southeast while my daughter and I evented. Gas mileage was 13.5 mpg without the trailer and horses, and about 10 mpg while towing.

With the 1996 7.4 liter Suburban - same horses and trailer- gas mileage was about 13.5. It was if the trailer and the horses didn't exist; same gas mileage with or without the trailer. On the positive side, towing the horses and the trailer was effortless. Without looking in the rearview mirror and seeing the trailer, you'd never know it was there.

When my daughter left for college, I gave up eventing and switched to foxhunting. My trailer tow was just a few miles twice a week, so I decided to trade the Suburban for the GX470.

Other than non-towing gas mileage, the switch was a mistake. The GX is not
a horse trailer towing vehicle. The wheel base is too short, and the engine is weak. This is based on towing the same two horses to hunt in other states. The GX gets about 6 mpg towing on the interstate, and the ride is terrible.

If you want a soccer-mom SUV, the Lexus is great. If you want to tow a horse trailer, look elsewhere.
Old 05-25-07, 08:41 PM
Skip
Driver

Default Towing

I would not think of towing a horse trailer with a GX. It is OK for light towing and short trips, but for a loaded 2 horse trailer, forget it! The problem is that the GX is a tall vehicle with a very short wheelbase. Add in a tall trailer with a moving load (the horses) bad things can happen before you know it.

It is kind of the tail wagging the dog!

Towing boats is very different because the distance between the hitch and the trailer wheels is usually much greater. The car has more leverage on the trailer. Also, boats are strapped down and usually the weight, engine, drive and fuel is between the trailer tires, just above the axle. The reason that I am mentioning boats, is because thats what I see most people towing with them.

If you are going to tow alot, I would get a new Tundra. Way, Way more power and much longer wheelbase. Much safer at frwy speeds, towing heavy loads.

I am not knocking the GX, I think that they are a great vehicle. They are just not the right vehicle for what you want to use it for.

I have a 2004 GX 470 and I like it, but I would get a full size truck to tow horses.
Old 06-22-07, 08:23 PM
jjudd
Driver School Candidate

Default Boat Towing

Originally Posted by scooterpie
As far as towing, not much in winter, but summer, we tow a 21' boat all the time. and its a big boat, dry weight is 2800lbs and its got a 50 gal tank so add about 300lbs. And i dont know if that includes trailer weight either. We go out almost evey weekend, sat and sun. and even at night sometimes, tow it about 15-20 miles. in and out of the water. And i dont even feel it behind me. I have no lag nor does the truck even feel like its struggling. pulling it out of the water is no problem at all either.
Scooter, I just purchased an 07 GX today and will pick up tomorrow. I had an 05 RX330 with towing package but was not real satisfied. It pulled fine on open road and the ride was pretty good, but the 2WD caused some problems getting out of my favorite ramp (pretty steep) close to my home. I actually had to have my son hook to the front of me and pull me out couple of weeks ago after the ramp got very wet and the RX just sat there and spun. All the weight on the back kept the front tires from grabbing so I knew then it was time for a bigger machine. I am anticipating a smooth, problem free towing life with the GX as my BMT weighs probably a little less than 2,000 lb. It is a Triton Tr-186.
Old 06-23-07, 07:22 AM
dholling13
Driver

jjudd,

Just remember you have air shock back there. Always load and unload with the air suspension all of the way down and also turned off. It will automatically self level once you get up to speed.

You should be able to tow that load just fine, I tow a 5000 lb. total weight trailer all day long and get 14 miles per gallon. I do use a brake controller though.
Old 06-25-07, 06:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Going from a unibody 2wd SUV to a ladder frame 4WD SUV will be like night and day.