GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

HELP Please! Is this "Un-fixable Vibration Problem at Freeway Speed" For Real?!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-06, 05:36 AM
cannga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP Please! Is this "Un-fixable Vibration Problem at Freeway Speed" For Real?!!

I am about to purchase a 2007 GX470 (looked at RX, etc., decided on GX). I read about this "vibration problem at 63-68 mph" on Edmunds.

I searched this forum and found threads such as this:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=vibration

I assume brand new 2007 GX 470 won't be affected then? Do I need to test drive the specific car that I am purchasing on the freeway?

I need to make a decision soon so would really appreciate your replies. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Can

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.efeacfc/0
This is exactly what was on the site with many, many entry's Vibration 63-68mph. This is the GX-470 nitemare. The amazing thing is some vehicles do not have the problem. It could also be that owners do not realize they have the problem due to the speed they drive and road conditions. I really don't know. What I do know is my 05 GX-470 is gone and I let it go with only 3300 miles.Lexus dealership balanced tires, switched tires to different locations, then completly installed new tires and rims.Two times on alignment rack. Last, installed a steering dampner kit,no help, which im told is now on every new GX.I was told a factory rep drove my GX and never experienced any vibration at any speed. I knew I was dog meat after that meeting. In all the conversations with Lexus you must understand this..1, there is no problem with the GX. 2, they are unable to fix this vibration, period. If you got it your stuck with it. The 2ad issue is the clunk in the rear after you come to a stop. I've heard this might have been located in the spline joint on the drive shaft.It was so tight of a tolerance that would not slid. This is a rumor which was posted by some people. I never experienced this problem on my GX. I wish I had found this site prior to purchase as I would have never got involved with GX-470.

Last edited by cannga; 12-30-06 at 05:47 AM.
Old 12-30-06, 08:29 AM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nothing to worry about Can,

The vibration is common in all lug centric 6 lug toyota/lexus vehicles. It's nothing more than wheel balancing. As long as a hunter balancing machine (most toyota/lexus dealerships use them) is used, you won't have a problem.

Dan
Old 12-30-06, 09:51 AM
cannga
Driver School Candidate

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I've done a more thorough search. Am I correct to assume that between the TSB for the clunk ("drive shaft"), another TSB for the steering vibration and driveline droning ("front differential harmonics"), and the wheel balancing you mentioned, BOTH the infamous clunk and the freeway speed droning are things I don't have to worry about for new GX 470?

Thanks and regards,
Can

Originally Posted by purplehazek4
Nothing to worry about Can,

The vibration is common in all lug centric 6 lug toyota/lexus vehicles. It's nothing more than wheel balancing. As long as a hunter balancing machine (most toyota/lexus dealerships use them) is used, you won't have a problem.

Dan

Last edited by cannga; 12-30-06 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-30-06, 08:54 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

4runner has the same vibration at freeway speed problem. It's hit & miss. If you're lucky, you won't have it. That was too much of a chance to take, so this was one reason I got the LX...proven over 9 yrs already, no steering vibration. LX driveshaft changed in '03...so far, no clunks with mine. A temporary remedy if it clunks is to shoot a few pumps of grease into the spline zerk in the driveshaft (don't overfill, as the driveshaft won't be able to properly compress, leading to possible transfer case damage).
Old 01-05-07, 11:27 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Which tires do you have? Most of the problems seem to be with the Dunlops, not bridgestone HT's or Michelin LTX's.
Old 01-05-07, 12:34 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had an 05 and an 06 GX and currently an 07 GX, and none of them had/have that problem. They all do have the Michelin tires.
Old 01-05-07, 06:57 PM
cannga
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer. I picked up my GX470, for 1200 below invoice, or about 8000 off MSRP, I think. (I don't check forum often so email me at cannga@pacbell.net if you would like to know dealer and internet manager.)
Tires are Bridgestone.
There is no vibration or drive shaft clunk, after testing fairly thoroughly at multiple freeway speeds.
It's possible that there IS some droning, at very very low volume, and only audible with the radio off. In fact, if I hadn't read about it here, I would not have noticed it. In addition, I think if this SUV is not as dead quiet as Lexus has made it, that droning, if it's there, would be drown out by road noise and wind noise.
I will admit that the droning could be ENTIRELY in my head! So please take this comment with a big grain of salt.

Regards,
Can

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
Which tires do you have? Most of the problems seem to be with the Dunlops, not bridgestone HT's or Michelin LTX's.
Old 01-05-07, 10:35 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

If you think there's a droning noise, it might help to push the roof rack cross bars as far back as possible as the air flow at the rear is already turbulent (so less wind drag=theoretically better fuel economy). It probably won't do anything about the droning, but it might make the vehicle more quiet on the freeway and, best of all, it costs nothing to try it.
Old 01-06-07, 10:40 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Congrats on the new GX
What's the color and options?

I don't have the vibration in my GX (20k miles) or the droning. The v8 roars when you accelerate, but no droning
Old 01-06-07, 02:08 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
If you think there's a droning noise, it might help to push the roof rack cross bars as far back as possible as the air flow at the rear is already turbulent (so less wind drag=theoretically better fuel economy). It probably won't do anything about the droning, but it might make the vehicle more quiet on the freeway and, best of all, it costs nothing to try it.
I have no intention to ever use the roof rack, so I removed the cross bars and put them in the basement next to the 3rd rear seat. Not that the GX was noisey on the highway (the cross bars were in the proper position for ultimate quietness), I just got tired of looking at them. The benefit should be even more reduced wind noise and a bit better fuel economy. Plus now it's easier to wash and wax the roof without those cross bars in the way.
Old 01-06-07, 09:17 PM
cannga
Driver School Candidate

Hello,

Blizzard pearl and ivory. Options are navigation, Mark Levinson, third row seat, tow prep. (No spoiler, no chrome tip.)

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Congrats on the new GX
What's the color and options?

I don't have the vibration in my GX (20k miles) or the droning. The v8 roars when you accelerate, but no droning
Old 01-06-07, 11:57 PM
strindl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BobsGX
I've had an 05 and an 06 GX and currently an 07 GX, and none of them had/have that problem. They all do have the Michelin tires.

My 2004 has also never had the vibration or clunk problem. I have the Bridgestone tires.
Old 01-08-07, 05:37 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Cannga, $1200 off invoice? Thats a amazing price, its the lowest I heard so far. Is this a brand new GX or a dealer demo?

The fact is, there are very few case of the GX droning. More so on the 4runner for some reason, maybe its because they sell more of those. The few cases that I have read, the problem was in diff. areas. Someone people are still unable to find the problem. If you have the cross terrain tires, you are pretty save. I heard maybe 1 or 2 owner with cross terrains and the drone. I would say thats pretty good odds.

Last edited by The G Man; 01-08-07 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-08-07, 02:58 PM
cannga
Driver School Candidate

Yes 1200 off invoice. Brand new with 14 miles on odometer (NO previous test drive). It is doable in Southern California, especially if dealer has car you want on the lot. It doesn't have to be a big dealer either as other dealers besides Glendale Lexus (hint hint ) were ready to negotiate as well.

I am POSITIVE that there is no more drive shaft clunk or steering vibration with 07 GX. Well at least my car. The droning seems to be some harmonic with the engine, is extremely extremely low in volume (like an airplane flying in the air from far away, cycle about one every one to two seconds) and could be in my head entirely as previously stated.

Originally Posted by The G Man
Cannga, $1200 off invoice? Thats a amazing price, its the lowest I heard so far. Is this a brand new GX or a dealer demo?

The fact is, there are very few case of the GX droning. More so on the 4runner for some reason, maybe its because they sell more of those. The few cases that I have read, the problem was in diff. areas. Someone people are still unable to find the problem. If you have the cross terrain tires, you are pretty save. I heard maybe 1 or 2 owner with cross terrains and the drone. I would say thats pretty good odds.

Last edited by cannga; 01-09-07 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-09-07, 11:46 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I have 76K miles on my '03 with no vibration or droaning :knock on wood: I'm actually kinda shocked at how quiet this truck is (and that's with me comparing it to the LS430). There's a LITTLE wind noise, but nothing remotely close to objectionable, IMO. BTW, I am a big fan of the Michelin Cross Terrain tires for the GX.

Quick Reply: HELP Please! Is this "Un-fixable Vibration Problem at Freeway Speed" For Real?!!