GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Issues w/roof rack? how do I remove cross bars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-07, 11:59 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Issues w/roof rack? how do I remove cross bars?

Hey, I went to remove my cross bars, and either think I have a problem, or I'm lacking a clue.
First, how do you remove them? I loosened the nuts hoping they'd just pop off, but no such luck:
1) the bars won't slide freely front/back with the nuts loose, and it looks like somebody had to use some real force to slide them in from the rear (paint is scuffed off of the tracks towards the rear.

So, I guess I'm asking about two things:
1) how are you guys removing your cross bars? Do you need to remove the rear "cap" and slide htem out the back?
2) do your crossbars slide freely in the tracks? Mine sure don't. I'd have to hammer them to move them...
It looks like the longitudinal roof rack bars are mounted slightly "inwards" from the rain gutter. Can these be adjusted?

Assistance appreciated!

PS. This is a brand spankin new truck. This is the first time I've climbed up on a ladder to check out the rack.
Old 01-21-07, 01:21 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get ready, this is rather lengthly.
I removed the cross bars on my 07 GX because I don't forsee ever using the roof rack. Yes you do have to remove the plastic end caps on the rear of each side. To do this, you should apply some masking tape on the roof all around the end cap. Then preferably use a plastic trim removal tool and pry under the inside of the end cap (between the end cap and the black rubber gasket) to release the claws that holds the cap on. Then using the tool, pry under the outside of the end cap to release the 2 claws on that side. Then just lift up the cap from the rear and pull back so the front tab can release. Then as you did, unscrew the ***** as far as they will go (but don't remove them), then using a rubber mallet, tap the cross bars evenly on each side to move the bars to the rear and remove each cross bar from rack. Then put the end caps back on in the reverse order. DO NOT push down on the rear of the end cap at the same time when installing the rear part of the end cap. This can crack the end cap and I'm sure that Lexus is very proud of the price that they would charge for that end cap. Instead make sure the front tab is under the roof rack rail, then making sure the end cap is aligned, push the outside of the cap down first, then push the inside of the cap into place. You will hear/feel the claws snap into place. That should do it. And yes, moving those cross bars often scuffs the paint, but use some prep solvent on the scuffs, and most if not all of the scuffs will come off. Also note that late year 06 and all 07 GX's come with 2 little black rubber stoppers (1 on each side at rear) that the dealer is supposed to install in the rack prior to delivery. These are there to prevent the cross bar from hitting the end cap and damaging it when sliding the rear cross bar to the end. However, most dealers don't have a clue what the 2 little black stoppers are for since they never read the TSIB's that Lexus supplies all dealership service departments with, and they throw the stoppers away. So don't be surprised if yours are missing. I knew about them before I took delivery and sure enough, the PDI guy didn't know what they were and had a bunch of them in his tool box. I took a pair for my GX so I can put them in place when I sell the GX.
Old 01-21-07, 05:17 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BobsGX
I removed the cross bars on my 07 GX because I don't forsee ever using the roof rack. Yes you do have to remove the plastic end caps on the rear of each side. To do this, you should apply some masking tape on the roof all around the end cap. Then preferably use a plastic trim removal tool and pry under the inside of the end cap (between the end cap and the black rubber gasket) to release the claws that holds the cap on. Then using the tool, pry under the outside of the end cap to release the 2 claws on that side. Then just lift up the cap from the rear and pull back so the front tab can release. Then as you did, unscrew the ***** as far as they will go (but don't remove them), then using a rubber mallet, tap the cross bars evenly on each side to move the bars to the rear and remove each cross bar from rack. Then put the end caps back on in the reverse order. DO NOT push down on the rear of the end cap at the same time when installing the rear part of the end cap. This can crack the end cap and I'm sure that Lexus is very proud of the price that they would charge for that end cap. Instead make sure the front tab is under the roof rack rail, then making sure the end cap is aligned, push the outside of the cap down first, then push the inside of the cap into place. You will hear/feel the claws snap into place. That should do it. And yes, moving those cross bars often scuffs the paint, but use some prep solvent on the scuffs, and most if not all of the scuffs will come off. Also note that late year 06 and all 07 GX's come with 2 little black rubber stoppers (1 on each side at rear) that the dealer is supposed to install in the rack prior to delivery. These are there to prevent the cross bar from hitting the end cap and damaging it when sliding the rear cross bar to the end. However, most dealers don't have a clue what the 2 little black stoppers are for since they never read the TSIB's that Lexus supplies all dealership service departments with, and they throw the stoppers away. So don't be surprised if yours are missing. I knew about them before I took delivery and sure enough, the PDI guy didn't know what they were and had a bunch of them in his tool box. I took a pair for my GX so I can put them in place when I sell the GX.

Thanks Bob; Perfect!

Any idea why my crossbars are soo hard to move? Feels like they are really wedged in there. Do the allen bolts on the underside of the crossbars allow adjustment of width?

Also, it sounds like it might be a good idea to do the endcap thing when it's warm, or have a heat gun handy, to ensure the plastic is pliable. True?
Old 01-21-07, 06:03 PM
cannga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove the Cross Bars!! Wind Noise Is Much Less IMHO

Hello,

Thank you for the excellent and helpful post. I just removed mines mostly based on your instruction, using a butter knife as the prying tool . I approached in a slightly different way, prying the outside edge first.

For those who haven't done it yet: There are a total of six plastic tabs that one needs to be aware of: two in front, two on the inside edge, two on the outside edge. These tabs are what hold the plastic caps in place and could be broken if you are not careful. You should print this post and look at your car while reading it; otherwise it won't make much sense.

I pried the outside edge FIRST because you could push the prying tool in at an obtuse (not 90 degrees) angle. I feel this approach is less risky with respect to scraping the roof. There are two tabs, first pry out the front tab, it's about 2-3 inches from the front edge, then pry out the rear tab, which is about 2-3 inches from the rear edge. Now you could "work out" the inside edge and then the front by careful wiggling motion.

I did not have to use a rubber mallet to move the cross bars. If loosen properly, I find that they could be easily moved if they are pulled evenly on both sides.

BTW, I did find my 2 rubber thingies, properly installed. Proud of my dealer, Glendale Lexus.

Regards,
Can

Originally Posted by BobsGX
Old 01-21-07, 06:13 PM
cannga
Driver School Candidate

I did mine just now, in cool weather. I do not think you need a heat gun, but then it's not snowing in California either.

See my other post re. the crossbars. I just used two hands, one on each side, and pulled the crossbar evenly, keeping the bar strictly perpendicular (90 degree) to the two rails. The bars should move easily this way; at least mines did.

A minor point regarding the crossbar's ****: I find that it is loosened by a few turns; once it is loose and wiggly, you don't need to "lefty" turn the **** any further. It's not necessary and actually feels tight again. I hope I am making some sense here. You'll see what I mean when you do it. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Can

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Thanks Bob; Perfect!

Any idea why my crossbars are soo hard to move? Feels like they are really wedged in there. Do the allen bolts on the underside of the crossbars allow adjustment of width?

Also, it sounds like it might be a good idea to do the endcap thing when it's warm, or have a heat gun handy, to ensure the plastic is pliable. True?
Old 01-21-07, 11:41 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cannga
I did mine just now, in cool weather. I do not think you need a heat gun, but then it's not snowing in California either.

See my other post re. the crossbars. I just used two hands, one on each side, and pulled the crossbar evenly, keeping the bar strictly perpendicular (90 degree) to the two rails. The bars should move easily this way; at least mines did.

A minor point regarding the crossbar's ****: I find that it is loosened by a few turns; once it is loose and wiggly, you don't need to "lefty" turn the **** any further. It's not necessary and actually feels tight again. I hope I am making some sense here. You'll see what I mean when you do it. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Can
I just did this in the garage. Thanks guys!

One thing: I found it easier to do without any tools. Prying with a knife/tool worried me a bit. Here's a trick:
- pry the front-outside edge of the plastic cover, where it mates w/the roofrack and down where it touches the rubber gasket (between rack and roof) out gently with your fingers.
- apply some gentle pressure *downwards* on the top of the plastic cover (this is key, it helps release the "hooks")
- work your fingers under the outside edge of the plastic cover and "pop" the front hook off (again, downward pressure on teh top of the cover helps)
- do the same w/the rear/outside hook
- then start "walking" the cover towards the rear of the car (gently). This will snap off the interior hooks and free the front two tabs from the rack.

Really easy. I'd recommend gentle prying w/fingers over using tools, IMHO.

Oh, and solved the mystery of my crossbars. The rear one was adjusted to the inner-stops of the length adjustment (adjustable w/small allen bolts on the underside of the crossbar), whereas the front one was adjusted to be significantly longer. Did some damage to the rack. Not sure what I'm going to do about it. It's pretty noticeable w/the smoked silver rack on my silver sport package.
Old 03-25-07, 07:59 AM
sickman
Driver School Candidate

I just did this now and its really easy. The key is to do it standing in the cargo area w/ the barn door open (vs. being on ladder on side of truck). This way you have leverage in pushing down on the end caps (gently) so that a couple of the tabs just pop right off. Shouldn't need any tools as you can just use fingers to pry off the other tabs.