GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX quirks - clunk, vibration. Buying a GX?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-07, 06:40 AM
Socal GX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation GX quirks - clunk, vibration. Buying a GX?

I recently purchased a certified 05 Pearl/Charcoal/Nav and love the truck. This forum was very useful in making a decision on what to buy, and I'd like to throw out some thoughts for current and future GX owners.

The clunk is nothing more than a quirk. My previous truck (3rd generation 4runner) had a similar, though subtle, clunk which didn't bother me. It's just something about the toyota engineering. I've spoken with Lexus service people who I trust and they say that the clunk will not lead to future damage or drivetrain failure. It just is what it is and it's caused by torque/tension release associated primarily with the adaptive suspension. So, all the people who are concerned about it, or who like to trash the GX (in some other forums), get over it. Just get the new kit, which includes a new drivetrain and upper and lower control arms. Of course there are supply issues, so I'm on a wait list to get the work done, but I don't see this as a reason to be angry with Lexus. If you don't have warranty coverage, I don't know what you can do other than live with it. It's lame that Lexus didn't issue a recall for this (probably cause it's not safety related) but in the end, no vehicle is perfect. If you buy any of the "competing" vehicles, you'll end up in the service departmet a lot more often and you'll wish that a "clunk" was your only "problem."

Another issue that people complain about is steering wheel vibration at around 65mph. The GX has an extremely sensitive steering system which allows any minor tire balance issues to carry right through to the driver's hands on the wheel. If you have this vibration and your sure that your wheels are balanced perfectly, the problem is likely due to minor imperfections in the tires themselves - most notably a small hard spot in the tread rubber. These kinds of tire imperfections are reletively common but don't effect most vehicles. For those who have the vibration and have gotten new tires and still have it, it may be just dumb luck that you replaced the old bad tires with new bad tires. Once again, this is from an experienced service consultant who I trust.

Remember, the GX is always going to be a truck wearing a fancy dress. It will never handle like a car and the trade-off of a bomber chassis is that there will be quirks to the design because you can't engineer something that's 100%tough and still soft and cushy.

While researching the GX, I read all sorts of complaints from people: brakes are too sensitive, doesn't track well on the highway, poor gas mileage, etc. I even saw one guy who thought that a Navigator was a better vehicle than a GX! My point is this, for anybody considering buying a GX, go for it. It's an incredible truck, and will always be a truck first and luxury car second. Yes the brakes are sensitive - learn to control them and be glad that someday the incredible stopping power will save your life. It's true, it doesn't track that great on the highway - you can't have ultra-senstive steering for off-road finesse and rock solid highway steering. And as for the gas mileage - if you want 300+ pounds of torgue and all the high tech stuff (like adaptive suspension, big brakes, roomy interior, etc) that adds a lot of weight to a vehicle, you're just not going to get great mileage. Don't expect this truck to be what it isn't. Instead be stoked that it's safe, reliable, powerful, and tough. The luxury is all icing on the cake.
Old 02-13-07, 04:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

GX is kick **** truck...
Old 02-13-07, 05:48 PM
llcc1975
Pole Position

Well said.
Old 02-13-07, 05:58 PM
GatorGX
Rookie

Excellent post Socal GX. And regarding this point:

Originally Posted by Socal GX
Another issue that people complain about is steering wheel vibration at around 65mph. The GX has an extremely sensitive steering system which allows any minor tire balance issues to carry right through to the driver's hands on the wheel. If you have this vibration and your sure that your wheels are balanced perfectly, the problem is likely due to minor imperfections in the tires themselves - most notably a small hard spot in the tread rubber. These kinds of tire imperfections are reletively common but don't effect most vehicles. For those who have the vibration and have gotten new tires and still have it, it may be just dumb luck that you replaced the old bad tires with new bad tires. Once again, this is from an experienced service consultant who I trust.
... my experience would validate this explanation:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=20
Old 02-15-07, 01:55 PM
hungthuha
Driver School Candidate

Default Vibration

Just to clarify a few things. It is not whining as you put it about GX owner with the vibration. The tires actually do not cause the vibration but the engine and the tranmission do. The symtom is similar to driving 10 mph on a fourth gear manual stick ! Lexus is aware of this.