GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Dual Exhaust Installed w/Magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-07, 10:22 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Sound clip link added to the first post. Be kind and RIGHT CLICK onto your drive first before playing. Converted HD AVCHD file to retain the quality but at least I brought it down from 200mb to 40mb.
Old 04-18-07, 10:36 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hottttttttttttt
Old 04-20-07, 01:06 PM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Thanks guys.
Pipe pics added above. Videos w/ sound clips tomorrow.
The tips and exhaust I picked up from Ebay. The muffler ran me $95.00 shipped from Ebay as well. The tips were under $30.00 for the pair.
Two exhaust places quoted me the same-$150.00 for the entire install so that should be the norm. I went with whom I was more comfortable with though it took a while-2 hours. Rather not rush it anyhow. I agree ,the stock little pipe is very weak. This really did balance out the rear end nicely and the cutout in the bumper for the stock pipe is not noticed.

So:
$95.00 Magnaflow 14586 muffler
$30.00 Oval Tips (Pair)
$150.00 Install
----------------------
$275.00 Total
Are you in Southern Cal?

If so, do you mind giving the name of the shop that did your exhaust? I may do this as well and there is no reason to re-invent the wheel...I would rather take it to the same guy.
Old 04-20-07, 04:08 PM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's nice!
Old 04-20-07, 08:56 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cmarshack
Are you in Southern Cal?

If so, do you mind giving the name of the shop that did your exhaust? I may do this as well and there is no reason to re-invent the wheel...I would rather take it to the same guy.
Took it to D&D in Lancaster. Most any good shop should be able to do it; just these guys came highly recommended and I was impressed with his work as I hovered over him a bit more than I am sure he cared for.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 04-20-07 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-20-07, 09:00 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

wow..that would look very nice on my RX.
Old 04-21-07, 08:15 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Took it to D&D in Lancaster. Most any good shop should be able to do it; just these guys came highly recommended and I was impressed with his work as I hovered over him a bit more than I am sure he cared for.
Thanks!

Lancaster is a little far...so I will just try to get someone local.

It looks like you split the exhaust after the muffler. Is there a reason that you did not try to get a single inlet-dual outlet muffler and split it that way? Also, do you have any good pics showing where the split is?

Old 04-21-07, 02:47 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cmarshack

It looks like you split the exhaust after the muffler. Is there a reason that you did not try to get a single inlet-dual outlet muffler and split it that way?
Did you also notice that only one side has a resonator ?? I also have the same muffler, but only one exhaust pipe and the OEM resonator. I would think that not having a resonator with each pipe would be a bit loud. It's plenty loud with the Magnaflow and a resonator.
Old 04-21-07, 03:15 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, very true. I opted to keep the resonator on the vehicle for vibration purposes.

There is no room to properly route two pipes over the subframe/suspension to the rear which is why the split occurred afterwards in the rear. I will post a pic later but so far I really do enjoy this mod. Looks good, sounds good, and there is a slight improvement in HP. Don't ask on mileage as I am one of those that cares little of the price of petro. It is what it is.
Old 04-21-07, 06:16 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Well done
Old 04-21-07, 07:11 PM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

There is no room to properly route two pipes over the subframe/suspension to the rear which is why the split occurred afterwards in the rear. I will post a pic later but so far I really do enjoy this mod. Looks good, sounds good, and there is a slight improvement in HP. Don't ask on mileage as I am one of those that cares little of the price of petro. It is what it is.

That is what I thought based on simply eyeing it out. I have already ordered two Ractive black chrome tips and I have an "offer" on eBay for the muffler. I should have this mod done in about a week or so.

Great post Pearl!!!!
Old 04-22-07, 10:20 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

WOW, that looks great!! Good job.
Old 04-22-07, 10:38 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Very nice
Old 04-23-07, 03:44 PM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Yep, very true. I opted to keep the resonator on the vehicle for vibration purposes.

Lee,

One more question. Did you have to remove the driver side tow hook? Or did they use it as a mount? Mine does not look like the exhaust pipe will clear without hanging too low on the driver side.

Thanks again!
Old 04-23-07, 03:47 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Hi there,
Yes I did have it removed to make room for the tip.
As I have the tow package, if I ever needed to get it towed from the rear the hitch would work out just fine.

Quick Reply: Dual Exhaust Installed w/Magnaflow