GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2007 MDX vs 2006 GX470

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-07, 06:36 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronsully
I am not saying that I have not had some or all of these problems. I am just saying overall, the car has been good to us. Our MDX currently has ~120k miles and is still kicking and still looks great. As with any car, there are always problems.. If you can find me a car that has zero problems, I will buy it ASAP.
Not picking on you, but if you have had very many of those problems, it'd be a big stretch to say that the vehicle has "been good to us" (unless, perhaps, you've been used to European cars such as MBs). Being good is a term I'd use to describe my LS and GX. The two have a combined total of 135K miles on them (54 on the LS and 81 on the GX). The total list of things that's gone wrong with them is:

1. Driver side remote mirror control switch on the LS stopped working properly at about 48K miles (still worked, but you had to juggle it to get it to work). This was repaired under warranty.

/end of list

THAT is being good to us.

BTW, the average number of problems for the 2003 LS430 (as reported by the JD Power 3 Year Owner Survey) is < 1 problem per car over the 3 years of ownership. That's not "zero" problems, but it's close. Does that mean you'll be buying one ASAP?

Last edited by I6turbo; 06-25-07 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-25-07, 06:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree, but some people thinks that as long as the car runs, its a good car.
Old 06-25-07, 08:20 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
I agree, but some people thinks that as long as the car runs, its a good car.
LOL Those people have been owing too many Mercedes Benzes.
Old 07-02-07, 07:16 AM
familyGX47
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a previous owner of 2 MDX (first gen 2001 and then 2004), I would like to give my 2 cents.
While I agree that the MDX is a very nice vehicle and it drive great, but I do think that their service sucks and the fake wood looks cheap for a $40K vehicle.
The following incidents happened to us:
1- 2001 had a warped front rotors at 700 miles, the 2004 had it at 1800 miles. Neither the dealer nor Acura customer service wanted to honor the warranty because this was "wear & tear" or Overloading the brakes. Acura CS said "You don't expect to stop on a dime with this vehicle". That was a stupid comment from their CS. Just to be fair, I live in the hills and this may have caused the excessive braking, but not an excuse. I have a 10 year old Camry that I drive much more aggressively and I never had any issues with the rotors.
2- battery died after 27 months. Dealer advised that better is only covered for 24 months, then prorated for the rest of the 4 years. The cost to replace the battery at the dealer was about $150 for the battery + $45 labor -$50 credit for prorated period. I was not sure how they came up with the credit, but told them that I can get a premium battery for less than half of their price.
3- We had a leveling issue with the MDX. First they told me the spec was +/- ½” was fine and that my MDX was at the maximum acceptable level. I measured the level (on both sides) and it was closer to ¾”. Another dealer measured it and told me that my MDX was at the max acceptable level difference of +/- 5/8”. It was very noticeable to see the difference.

On the other hand, the rear seats are very comfortable, the second raw has more space than the GX and the fuel economy was good for an SUV.
Mike
Old 07-02-07, 08:34 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I have had a 2006 GX for about 15,000 miles now, and I have nothing but good things to say about the truck. I know that 15K is not that many miles, but the interior of this truck still looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. The leather is holding up beautifully, wood and dash...everything looks BRAND new.

Now that I'm past the breakin period, I'm averaging about 17 miles per gallon mixed between highway and city, which I honestly don't think is too bad. My 4Runner with 90 less horsepower runs into the single digits in the city.

Like you stated yourself, I love the way that a truck drives. I like the heavy feeling on the road, and that is part of the reason why I like the GX so much. I have not driven the new MDX myself, but I can attest to the fact that the GX is absolutely dead silent, butter smooth, and THE best driving SUV I have ever experienced. You could whisper to a passenger in this car at 90MPH and hear every word. The ride is, again, butter smooth...there is nothing like it.

The V8 is wonderful as well. Smooth as anything with loads of torque whenever you need it, and a growl that is extremely pleasing to the ears at any point...especially sweet towards the top end. Again, I am pretty impressed with 17MPG in combined driving. I have read criticisms of Acura's V6 getting rhaspy and loud at the top end...the 4.7L V8 growls all the way to redline and sounds and feels great.

The interior thing is a matter of preference. I sat in the new MDX and did not care for it at all. The steering wheel felt flimsy, the center dash has a concentraton of little plastic buttons but ACRES of plastic and fake wood which makes me feel like they did a poor job with the ergonomics. Too much free space with the important stuff all condensed together making it hard to see and distracting you from driving. Also, I have found that the door trim does not quite match up with the dash on every single MDX that I have been in...not really acceptable for the price here.

The GX on the otherhand, is certainly not a necessarily new design but it also looks timeless, classy, everything is first rate, the build quality is flawless, and it has held up beautifully so far. The GX interior is no longer a class leading design, but look how well it has aged. The design will still look good in 5-10 years with wood and leather in all the right places, simple and easy to use controls, an elegant layout, and nice colors. I really do not like the MDX interior as I stated above. I can see how someone could say that it was more "cutting edge" than the GX, but the quality is not the same as the GX and I think the Lexus is far superior ergonomically.

As far as exterior design is concerned, the GX looks great and it looks like a truck. It looks tough, but also elegant and classy. A gentleman-type look if you ask me. I do not really care for the MDX here again. The front end looks unfinished, the side flanks just look too minivan for me, and the rear end isn't too bad. I feel like the MDX has to have the optional step rails to even remotely look like an SUV, and I know it's picky but I really dislike either factory wheel choice on the Acura. The standard ones look like they belong on...well...a minivan, and the Sport wheels look cheap for a 50K Suv.

A few other thoughts

1) The Lexus can take regular gas, I don't think the Acura can
2) Lexus Resale
3) Lexus Dealer experience
4) Acura is a first year model which means you are going to experience some issues, whereas the GX has them mostly ironed out
5) GX will be refreshed for the 2008 Model Year

In conclusion, I think that the Acura is a more technically advanced on-road vehicle with some new technology and features that the Lexus does not have. The Lexus has an old school/gentlemen charm about it with traditional SUV styling and driving experience, Lexus luxury, and proven electronics and hardware. I would take my GX over the Acura, even if it costed 10K more because owning and driving one day in and day out, it feels that much more expensive. The Acura's downgrade interior and space-pod styling inside and out are huge turn offs for me and again, I prefer a traditional truck. Different strokes for different folks though.

I tried to be as unbiased as possible, so I hope my experiences help.
Old 07-02-07, 11:35 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

^^ Good writeup. IMO, they are very different vehicles and difficult to compare on many levels. To me, the GX has a lot more character and substantive feeling to the way it drives and rides. I only have experience with an MDX that had aftermarket wheels (belonged to a friend) but that thing wasn't remotely in the league of the GX in terms of quality or rugged feel. But again, just different types of vehicles. And the MDX seem to give a relative lot of problems based upon the results that some of my friends and their families have had.
Old 07-02-07, 12:32 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I6turbo
^^ Good writeup. IMO, they are very different vehicles and difficult to compare on many levels. To me, the GX has a lot more character and substantive feeling to the way it drives and rides.
That is something that I sort of referred to in my review, but didn't blatantly say. The true off road ability, truck styling and driving experience set the GX apart from all of the other SAVs/CUVs/SUVs. The only other that offers a true, rugged truck frame and off road ability is the Land Rover LR3 and I wouldn't go towards Land Rover with a ten foot pole. Plus, the GX is more plush, more luxurious, better looking, and has better service...not to mention the unparalled quality in comparison to the LR3.

With MDX, RDX, RX, FX, MKX, Q7, X5, ML, etc...the GX is a stand out based on abilities, merits, and uniqueness. To me, that stands for something. To other people, that is exactly what they aren't looking for.

Just depends
Old 07-03-07, 07:00 AM
familyGX47
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Well, I have had a 2006 GX for about 15,000 miles now, and I have nothing but good things to say about the truck. I know that 15K is not that many miles, but the interior of this truck still looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. The leather is holding up beautifully, wood and dash...everything looks BRAND new.

Now that I'm past the breakin period, I'm averaging about 17 miles per gallon mixed between highway and city, which I honestly don't think is too bad. My 4Runner with 90 less horsepower runs into the single digits in the city.

Like you stated yourself, I love the way that a truck drives. I like the heavy feeling on the road, and that is part of the reason why I like the GX so much. I have not driven the new MDX myself, but I can attest to the fact that the GX is absolutely dead silent, butter smooth, and THE best driving SUV I have ever experienced. You could whisper to a passenger in this car at 90MPH and hear every word. The ride is, again, butter smooth...there is nothing like it.

The V8 is wonderful as well. Smooth as anything with loads of torque whenever you need it, and a growl that is extremely pleasing to the ears at any point...especially sweet towards the top end. Again, I am pretty impressed with 17MPG in combined driving. I have read criticisms of Acura's V6 getting rhaspy and loud at the top end...the 4.7L V8 growls all the way to redline and sounds and feels great.

The interior thing is a matter of preference. I sat in the new MDX and did not care for it at all. The steering wheel felt flimsy, the center dash has a concentraton of little plastic buttons but ACRES of plastic and fake wood which makes me feel like they did a poor job with the ergonomics. Too much free space with the important stuff all condensed together making it hard to see and distracting you from driving. Also, I have found that the door trim does not quite match up with the dash on every single MDX that I have been in...not really acceptable for the price here.

The GX on the otherhand, is certainly not a necessarily new design but it also looks timeless, classy, everything is first rate, the build quality is flawless, and it has held up beautifully so far. The GX interior is no longer a class leading design, but look how well it has aged. The design will still look good in 5-10 years with wood and leather in all the right places, simple and easy to use controls, an elegant layout, and nice colors. I really do not like the MDX interior as I stated above. I can see how someone could say that it was more "cutting edge" than the GX, but the quality is not the same as the GX and I think the Lexus is far superior ergonomically.

As far as exterior design is concerned, the GX looks great and it looks like a truck. It looks tough, but also elegant and classy. A gentleman-type look if you ask me. I do not really care for the MDX here again. The front end looks unfinished, the side flanks just look too minivan for me, and the rear end isn't too bad. I feel like the MDX has to have the optional step rails to even remotely look like an SUV, and I know it's picky but I really dislike either factory wheel choice on the Acura. The standard ones look like they belong on...well...a minivan, and the Sport wheels look cheap for a 50K Suv.

A few other thoughts

1) The Lexus can take regular gas, I don't think the Acura can
2) Lexus Resale
3) Lexus Dealer experience
4) Acura is a first year model which means you are going to experience some issues, whereas the GX has them mostly ironed out
5) GX will be refreshed for the 2008 Model Year

In conclusion, I think that the Acura is a more technically advanced on-road vehicle with some new technology and features that the Lexus does not have. The Lexus has an old school/gentlemen charm about it with traditional SUV styling and driving experience, Lexus luxury, and proven electronics and hardware. I would take my GX over the Acura, even if it costed 10K more because owning and driving one day in and day out, it feels that much more expensive. The Acura's downgrade interior and space-pod styling inside and out are huge turn offs for me and again, I prefer a traditional truck. Different strokes for different folks though.

I tried to be as unbiased as possible, so I hope my experiences help.

Great opinion MPLexus301
I couldn't agree more
Old 07-05-07, 06:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree also, just give me a tough truck with a simple dash board and I am happy. For people who wants a sports car but have to buy a SUV and like the space shuttle dashboard layout, the MDX is for them