GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Baby Seat in the GX470???

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-07, 09:56 AM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kphu
Congrats on the 2nd baby!

I think these 2 pictures explains it pretty well.

With the way this is setup you still have the front passenger seat available and if needed you can fit 2 more people in the middle by folding back the passenger 2nd row seat.

You could put the rear facing seat in the middle of the 2nd row but since the infant car seat is heavy with a little one in it, I put it behind me so its easier to get in and out of the car. Also to mention that on a daily basis I don't have any other passengers.

Last thing I should mention is that I strapped the double stroller using the strap from the 3rd row seat to it so that it doesn't fall on my 2 yr old.
Thanks so much for your detailed pictures. That was so helpful. One final question please, what is the reason you started using the 3rd row seat for your 2 year old to begin with and is it a lot of trouble to reach way back there to buckle him/her in?
Old 07-15-07, 10:13 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.EinTN
Thanks so much for your detailed pictures. That was so helpful. One final question please, what is the reason you started using the 3rd row seat for your 2 year old to begin with and is it a lot of trouble to reach way back there to buckle him/her in?
The reason why I started using the 3rd row seating is because when I had them side by side in the 2nd row, I would have to take 1 of the seats out in order to use the 3rd row seating.

If a car seat is put in the proper way, its very hard to do because its needs to be tight. So to prevent me from needing to take the seats in and out on a monthly basis I decided to use the 3rd row seat. My 2 yr old loves it because to her she says its like sitting in a bus. From the back door its easy to buckle her in.

The draw back is that I can't reach her when I'm in the driver seat but with my daily commute, I haven't had the need to get her anything while I'm driving.
Old 07-15-07, 10:35 AM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

The reason why I started using the 3rd row seating is because when I had them side by side in the 2nd row, I would have to take 1 of the seats out in order to use the 3rd row seating.

If a car seat is put in the proper way, its very hard to do because its needs to be tight. So to prevent me from needing to take the seats in and out on a monthly basis I decided to use the 3rd row seat. My 2 yr old loves it because to her she says its like sitting in a bus. From the back door its easy to buckle her in.

The draw back is that I can't reach her when I'm in the driver seat but with my daily commute, I haven't had the need to get her anything while I'm driving.
Thank you so much. You have been so helpful. I have worried how to utilize that 3rd seat and basically the entire rear seating since I got the vehicle over a year ago. Thanks so much for your helpfulness.
Old 07-15-07, 01:08 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Anytime. What type of medicine do you practice? I use to work for a large physcian practice here in MA. The practice have about 30 dr's and 30 nurses, they also have their own blood lab, CHF clinic, wellness & edu ctr, xray, ct scan, etc...
Old 07-15-07, 01:20 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Anytime. What type of medicine do you practice? I use to work for a large physcian practice here in MA. The practice have about 30 dr's and 30 nurses, they also have their own blood lab, CHF clinic, wellness & edu ctr, xray, ct scan, etc...
I am a board certified family physician who practices in rural Tennessee. I also do endoscopy (colonoscopy and EGD.) What kind of work did you do for that large clinic?
Old 07-16-07, 05:19 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dr.EinTN
I am a board certified family physician who practices in rural Tennessee. I also do endoscopy (colonoscopy and EGD.) What kind of work did you do for that large clinic?
I was a Senior Project Manager and Information Systems Manager. I left the company a little over a year a go. Before I lefted, I redesigned their network infrastructure in anticipation for EMR/PM system and VOIP telecomm system. I also did a project that involved the hospital down the street. We connected to the Hospital's Amicus and Meditec system so that we can save our CT, Xray, etc images to their system instead of purchasing our own. It was a neat project that saved us money from the cost of printing film, not needing to buy or maintain or own system and it increased patient care as the patient no longer needed to come to us to get film as the hospital can access it.

I still keep in touch with the high level folks there i.e. COO, some of the doctors and directors.

I now work for Boston Scientific.
Old 07-16-07, 06:29 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I've never noticed.... does the GX have side airbags for the 3rd row seats?
Old 07-17-07, 12:16 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I6turbo
I've never noticed.... does the GX have side airbags for the 3rd row seats?
I looked today and there is a 2nd row side airbag. I think based on where its positioned it could protect the 2nd row and 3rd row.
Old 07-17-07, 02:00 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I looked today and there is a 2nd row side airbag. I think based on where its positioned it could protect the 2nd row and 3rd row.
Does it extend that far back? If not, I'd be concerned about side impacts, I think. Here in Florida people run red lights like crazy....
Old 07-18-07, 04:39 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I6turbo
Does it extend that far back? If not, I'd be concerned about side impacts, I think. Here in Florida people run red lights like crazy....
Its on the side door frame. I'm not sure how the airbag is designed to deploy but if it was designed properly then I'm sure it would.

I almost got nailed from someone running a red light. I think back to that day and wonder if my guardian angel was near by because 2 girls with a baby stroller decided to cross the street so I waited for them. They were 1/2 way pass my car when the light turned green as they moved pass my car I started to go and not even 2 seconds later a guy in a prelude comes right across in front of me. I wonder what would of happened if the 2 girls didn't cross the street in front of me.
Old 07-18-07, 09:24 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I almost got nailed from someone running a red light. I think back to that day and wonder if my guardian angel was near by because 2 girls with a baby stroller decided to cross the street so I waited for them. They were 1/2 way pass my car when the light turned green as they moved pass my car I started to go and not even 2 seconds later a guy in a prelude comes right across in front of me. I wonder what would of happened if the 2 girls didn't cross the street in front of me.
Definitely somebody was looking out after you

Same thing at a red light. Light turned green and somehow, I just sat there for another 3 seconds, probably daydreaming. Suddenly a car from the left traffic totally blew a red light

From now on, I wait for a little bit at the intersections and to also look left and right, just like being taught as kid to cross the street.
Old 07-18-07, 11:13 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Definitely somebody was looking out after you

Same thing at a red light. Light turned green and somehow, I just sat there for another 3 seconds, probably daydreaming. Suddenly a car from the left traffic totally blew a red light

From now on, I wait for a little bit at the intersections and to also look left and right, just like being taught as kid to cross the street.
I do the same now too and I get nervous when I get off the highway and the light is green. I slow down a little so that I can take a peak and prepare to swerve before I cross.