GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-07, 04:17 PM
pemarsh
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GX issues

would like to get rid of my lexus lx 470 and replace with the gx.

however, there are a couple issues.

1. the biggest issue is comfort....there is no center console to rest your arm on.....seems sort of silly but once your used to it, it really in uncomfortable.
The arm rest they provide really is not that functional.

2. why is the LATCH car seats in the back seat positioned the way they are, as oppopsed to where they usually are directly behind driver and psgr seats.
One of the LATCH seats is actually positioned in the off center...making it just too easy for the kids to reach eachother and start fighting....parents might know what im talking about.

anyone else with these issues??
Old 08-10-07, 05:02 PM
Josh's GX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pemarsh~ I understand what you are talking about with the LATCH situation. I only have a 13 month old son, so we put his car seat behind the passenger seat. I don't understand why Lexus placed the second LATCH hooks where they are, and when I drive my nephew around, I just put his seat behind the driver seat and use the beat and tethers.
As for the armrest...now you're getting picky. Just kidding, I too like using the center console for an armrest, but since I don't have it in the GX, I don't even notice that I miss it. If you were to mention the fact that the GX doesn't have HID headlights, cooled leather, rear heat out the vents, four wheel air suspension and a rear independent suspension without going with the KDSS, I would be able to relate to those issues much more. Having said that, those are the only slight problems I have with my GX. Other than those, I love it! And they really are minor issues for me too. I can't say that I've driven the LX 470, so I don't know how they compare, but if those are the only two problems you have with the GX; then I say go for it.

I hope I didn't scare you off from such a great purchase with my ranting.
Old 08-10-07, 05:25 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Regarding the seating for the baby seat you can always use the 3rd row seating. I have a 2yr old and a 3 month old. The 3 month old is right behind me and the 2 yr old is on the passenger side 3rd row seat. She loves it back there!

If its a Lexus then GO For It!
Old 08-10-07, 09:17 PM
GatorGX
Rookie

I have 2 Britax Marathons installed forward facing in the middle row. One using LATCH (passenger side) and the driver's side using the seat belt. This lets us sometimes squeeze someone between the two in a pinch but mostly I did it so that the center armrest could be left in the down position so each child can use the cup holder in it. Also keeps the kids separated a bit like mentioned.

I have no issues with the front seat armrests... they seem perfect to me.

We love this vehicle. I must say that we are very particular and shopped for years... I used to nitpick so many things before we finally plunked on the GX. Things like the Barn door, non push-button start, non HID headlights, non flat folding 3rd row, non-electric 3rd row window opening... but honestly none of these things seem to ever matter or ever come up now that we have the GX. My wife and I tell each other often how happy we are with this vehicle.

At this point I would probably wait to see the 2008 GX since it is said to be out soon and have some minor differences (grill, tail lights, etc.. see thread).

Last edited by GatorGX; 08-11-07 at 05:27 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 08-10-07, 10:50 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I would have to agree, I also have a Britax Marathan and find the latch attachment points in odd places for the 2nd row. Also the lack of a larger center console is curious along with the tiny arm rests. Otherwise a fantastic SUV.
Old 08-11-07, 10:07 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

I can relate with the 1st problem. I am too used to a center console but the armrest does work for me from time to time. It's just a lot smaller compared to a center console but it'll do. I just get tired after a long road trip. I don't have any kids so don't have anything to say about the second one. I haven't driven the newer models of the lx but my aunt does have a 2000 and i mean its not a bad suv. I just couldn't afford one and plus the gx to me looks more sportier. I dunno, i just love the way that it looks. But who cares, i'm only 18.