GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

For those with tinted front windows

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-07, 01:23 PM
directfml
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For those with tinted front windows or considering

So I just got my front windows tinted (20% 3M CS) and my question is this...

At night do you have a hard time seeing things?

I have never had a car with tinted windows before (I live in Seattle) and when driving at night on my way home from work in downtown, I swear I feel like I am going to hit somebody at a crosswalk because my field of view is so narrow.

Just curious. Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: read my post (#7) below about my experience with both 20% and 35% tint.

Last edited by directfml; 12-11-07 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-06-07, 03:41 PM
jditom
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always tint my fronts but I go much less at 35%.
In Oregon 35% is the legal limit and sometimes I feel that is a bit to dark at night. 20% would be crazy in our dark rainy NW nights.
Old 12-06-07, 04:03 PM
directfml
Driver School Candidate

Do you have any pics of what the 35% looks like from the outside?

Just trying to compare the difference between the back tint and the front from an exterior view.
Old 12-07-07, 07:54 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jditom

In Oregon 35% is the legal limit and sometimes I feel that is a bit too dark at night.
I agree.......

~ Cap
Old 12-07-07, 10:31 AM
Reboot
Rookie

I have 5% tint all around. Yes, I have a hard time seeing sometimes out the sides at night.
Old 12-07-07, 12:26 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

very dangerous. i wouldnt have gone that dark. i plan to go either 40-50%
Charley
Old 12-11-07, 11:22 AM
directfml
Driver School Candidate

OK so here is my feedback.

Original: I installed the 20% 3M CS tint on the driver side and passenger side windows. Looking at the car from the outside, the tints matched up. From the inside looking out, they did not. Now I am not talking about the color since the front windows have a green tint in the actual glass. What I am talking about is the shade. The front windows were completely darker than the rears from an inside perspective.

NEW TINT: I had the 20% taken off and replaced with 35% 3M CS tint. Despite what you may think from reading about my comments on the 20%, the 35% tint does match the factory from an outside perspective. WHY? Well I wish I would have taken pictures of the car w/ the 20% and 35%. I believe since there is more light being let into the car with the 35%, that it in return allows the tint in the back to appear lighter. Now from an inside perspective looking out. THE shades match almost perfect!

Conclusion: I will post pics of my 35% in a few days along with my other mods (xenondepot 6500k kit, and 08 tailight). If you are looking to match the factory SHADE, then I would recommend 35% despite what others have said. I personally have had both installed. If the dark look is what you are going for, go with 20% which will also match from an outside perspective, however will be a lot darker than the rears when looking outside from the inside.

NOTE: I have been busy at work and if my above message makes no sense, please ask me any questions you have. Thanks!
Old 12-12-07, 07:12 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the update. I plan on tinting my front windows but I haven't had time to do it yet. I've always tinted my own cars so its a matter of time before I can get to it.
Old 12-18-07, 08:46 PM
GatorGX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by directfml
OK so here is my feedback.

Original: I installed the 20% 3M CS tint on the driver side and passenger side windows. Looking at the car from the outside, the tints matched up. From the inside looking out, they did not. Now I am not talking about the color since the front windows have a green tint in the actual glass. What I am talking about is the shade. The front windows were completely darker than the rears from an inside perspective.

NEW TINT: I had the 20% taken off and replaced with 35% 3M CS tint. Despite what you may think from reading about my comments on the 20%, the 35% tint does match the factory from an outside perspective. WHY? Well I wish I would have taken pictures of the car w/ the 20% and 35%. I believe since there is more light being let into the car with the 35%, that it in return allows the tint in the back to appear lighter. Now from an inside perspective looking out. THE shades match almost perfect!

Conclusion: I will post pics of my 35% in a few days along with my other mods (xenondepot 6500k kit, and 08 tailight). If you are looking to match the factory SHADE, then I would recommend 35% despite what others have said. I personally have had both installed. If the dark look is what you are going for, go with 20% which will also match from an outside perspective, however will be a lot darker than the rears when looking outside from the inside.

NOTE: I have been busy at work and if my above message makes no sense, please ask me any questions you have. Thanks!

Thanks for the insight directfml. I went with 35% Suntek Carbon on fronts and I'm happy with that level of shading. At lighter tint levels though, I find that the green shade of the fronts shows through a bit more. But I've heard that the 3m CS hides the green hue a bit more.. do you find that the Color also matches or do you see a bit of a green hue to the fronts compared with the backs with the 3m CS 35%? Also, the slight green hue that I saw originally w/ my Suntek Carbon 35% does seem to have diminished a little... or I am just used to it

BTW, here was my experience... with a scan of the factory tint levels from Lexus on page 3.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=tint
Old 12-23-07, 01:12 AM
samolgx470
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here my tint. The back is darker than the front. I bought it that way and I love it.

sam
Attached Thumbnails For those with tinted front windows-lexus-gx470.jpg  
Old 12-26-07, 07:35 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice car Sam. Love that color. The tint looks great!

Antonio.