GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Help making GX470 vs 4Runner decision

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-08, 09:09 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree with lonewolf, when I bought my GX, gas was $2.20 a gallon. Now its $350 and still climbing. When I am on the road, I see all these house wives with one kid in the back and driving a full size SUV, such a waste of gas. Then I like at myself driving alone in a 4.7 liter V8 SUV and I laugh. Look around you next time you are on the road, look inside the SUVs. 75% of them have 2 or less occupants in them.
Old 03-15-08, 04:31 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Alex

I honestly wasn't trying to lecture you. It's just an observation I've made on this forum, when gas mileage comparisons are made. We're all feeling the pain of the gas prices, but we're not given much choice and in some cases, we bought our cars because they fit our needs. When I bought my GX, I could only afford the 4Runner, but the dealer let me have it for wholesale trade because of the slowdown associated with gas prices almost two years ago. I was betting the price would go down, but it hasn't.

Either way, and until A diesel version or hybrid hits the market, we're stuck with what we have if the size and utility aspect fit. Since the next GX will be a 570, it doesn't sound like Toyota will be releasing their diesel in the US anytime soon. Of course, at almost 80 cents per gallon more, it would have to get killer mileage to be worth the initial investment and mileage payoff. I don't see that happening anytime soon. The dealer did say the next GX will be an eight speed, so maybe the mileage will be better because of it.

Sorry to have come of as a jerk!
Old 03-15-08, 05:34 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

honestly with all of this gas talk going on here it sounded like I was in some cheap car forum.......if you can afford a Lexus then I don't think paying for gas is a problem.

So obviously there's more to it.

For me I occcasionally have both kids and drop them off in the morning, however 70% of the time my wife and I both have 1 kid and we drop them off to their respective places. If saving $$$ is the plan then I would of just bought a yugo or some other rice burner that gets me from point A to point B and then just rent an SUV for those few times that I would require it. Calculate the math on that and I'm sure you would save more money.

just my $0.02.
Old 03-16-08, 05:29 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I agree with lonewolf, when I bought my GX, gas was $2.20 a gallon. Now its $350 and still climbing. When I am on the road, I see all these house wives with one kid in the back and driving a full size SUV, such a waste of gas. Then I like at myself driving alone in a 4.7 liter V8 SUV and I laugh. Look around you next time you are on the road, look inside the SUVs. 75% of them have 2 or less occupants in them.
Kind of similar to why most school buses at most are a third full. Complete waste of fuel and taxpayers money.
Old 03-16-08, 07:00 PM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, didn't we just go off topic here? I thought we were comparing GX to 4Runner. I don't think that 6 banger gets that much better real world gas economy. Both of these vehicles have some serious mass to them (GX a bit more), so no matter which engine you choose, you still have to pull all this weight, so I wouldn't call either one of them an economy vehicle. But again, off topic here.
Old 03-17-08, 10:19 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gsobol
Wow, didn't we just go off topic here? I thought we were comparing GX to 4Runner. I don't think that 6 banger gets that much better real world gas economy. Both of these vehicles have some serious mass to them (GX a bit more), so no matter which engine you choose, you still have to pull all this weight, so I wouldn't call either one of them an economy vehicle. But again, off topic here.

GS, my friend picked up a 6 cylinder 4 Runner and he's getting better gas mileage than I am on a recent road trip to the Poconos from NYC. We both started out with the gas tank FULL (topped off) and we drove for about 2 hours until lunch time filled up for gas.

On my GX I burned 1/2 gas and around 10 gallons of fuel, my friend burned about 7 gallons of fuel. Both of us filled up at a MOBIL gas station at my house and we were averaging about 65 MPH of highway miles. So this my REAL world "test" and hence the reason for my "slight" buyer's remorse with the GX. Again the key word is SLIGHT...

I think the extra weight, the V8 and 4WD all contribute to poorer MPG vs. the 4 runner.

This is all IMHO...

-Alex
Old 03-17-08, 10:44 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Lonewolf, I think there must be more to it than just the GX vs 4runner V6. Assuming you got 18 mpg. 10 gallons at the station would mean you have travel 180. If the 4runner only put in 7 gallons to travel 180 miles, that would mean hes getting 25.7 MPG. I know the 4runner V6 is better on gas, but it will not get 25.7 MPG on the highway. Maybe there was some other factor involve such as passenger, cargo, driving style or who was following who.
Old 03-17-08, 02:10 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Lonewolf, I think there must be more to it than just the GX vs 4runner V6. Assuming you got 18 mpg. 10 gallons at the station would mean you have travel 180. If the 4runner only put in 7 gallons to travel 180 miles, that would mean hes getting 25.7 MPG. I know the 4runner V6 is better on gas, but it will not get 25.7 MPG on the highway. Maybe there was some other factor involve such as passenger, cargo, driving style or who was following who.

Hi G,

We were just going to visit a work colleague who purchased a new house in the Poconos and he "wanted" a new SUV so he wanted us both to drive our trucks there to see which one he liked... One driver, no cargo, no passengers, we both weigh the same about 225 except he's like 6'1 (athletic)and I'm 5'9" (chubby)... Or is TMI... ROFL...

Bottom line this is the "real" world situation that got me a bit concerned, but it happened... *sigh*

I really wish I knew what the factors are but even when I spoke to my colleague about his gas purchases, he tells me he's averaging about a FULL fill up every two weeks as opposed to my truck every 4~5 days. Incidently, yes, I have brought my truck in for diags first with my 5K because I was orginally concerned about the gas mileage but was told to let the truck "break-in" about 10K or 15K miles. But when I brought the truck back in for 15K and diags were run, nothing 'wrong' was found.

Ah well... I still love my GX but like a SON/DAUGHTER who does something wrong and disappoints you... Well you get the picture...

-Alex
Old 03-17-08, 06:13 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Yup! It's called drafting. If the 4Runner was usually driving behind the GX, since the GX is a bit taller, it would provide less resistance for the 4Runner. I look for big vans and trucks to follow all the time. Doing this I've got around 23mpg between Phoenix, LA and back.

Not saying this IS the scenario, but it could be a factor among a few other things.
Old 03-17-08, 07:48 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rj4510
Yup! It's called drafting. If the 4Runner was usually driving behind the GX, since the GX is a bit taller, it would provide less resistance for the 4Runner. I look for big vans and trucks to follow all the time. Doing this I've got around 23mpg between Phoenix, LA and back.

Not saying this IS the scenario, but it could be a factor among a few other things.
Sometimes I was in the front and at other times he was leading and at other times we were side by side... In other words no consistency to give "drafting" any credit (factor) to the gas mileage difference...

But thanks for offering it up anyway...

-Alex
Old 03-18-08, 07:30 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I never follow a truck, you might pick up a rock in your windshield.
Old 03-18-08, 10:18 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by lonewolf69
GS, my friend picked up a 6 cylinder 4 Runner and he's getting better gas mileage than I am on a recent road trip to the Poconos from NYC. We both started out with the gas tank FULL (topped off) and we drove for about 2 hours until lunch time filled up for gas.

On my GX I burned 1/2 gas and around 10 gallons of fuel, my friend burned about 7 gallons of fuel. Both of us filled up at a MOBIL gas station at my house and we were averaging about 65 MPH of highway miles. So this my REAL world "test" and hence the reason for my "slight" buyer's remorse with the GX. Again the key word is SLIGHT...

I think the extra weight, the V8 and 4WD all contribute to poorer MPG vs. the 4 runner.

This is all IMHO...

-Alex
Was the 4Runner a 2WD or 4WD model? If a 2WD that would further explain the mpg disparity in comparison to the GX. I believe the 4Runner V6 2WD is rated for an extra mpg or two in comparison to the 4Runner V6 4WD.
Old 03-18-08, 05:23 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GatorGreg
Was the 4Runner a 2WD or 4WD model? If a 2WD that would further explain the mpg disparity in comparison to the GX. I believe the 4Runner V6 2WD is rated for an extra mpg or two in comparison to the 4Runner V6 4WD.
Hi Gator,

In one of my previous posts, I did state that the 4 Runner was the v6 2WD version. Hence this whole "heated" debate that's been going on for the past week with regards to 4runner/GX and gas mileage. The whole premise was that the 4Runner has much better gas mileage than the GX. But as you can see from some of the post from others, they just didn't believe me so I provided a real world example.

I just got back from the dealer today for the 25K service and I had them run the DIAGs a 3rd time and they've stated that the GX is running to spec with no "obvious" problems. They have recommended a fuel system cleaning service for $179.00 but since there is NO guarantee of better MPG performace afterwards, I declined the service for now. Has anyone done this to their GX and if so what are your thoughts?

Both vehichles are FUN to drive and the the 4 RUNNER is a very capable vehicle for on and off road. The LEXUS is a much more luxurious/refined version of the 4 Runner with all the spoils of a "luxury" model, from the supple leather interior, with beautiful wood grain, a premium Mark Levinson sound system, and a softer/quieter ride. Of course this all comes at an upfront cost with leasing/purchasing and also at the gas pump...

You'll have to make up your mind if the "luxury" is worth the $$$ for ownership (MSRP), maintenance (service issues) and operation (gas mileage). You'll have to make a decision based on your financial situation as all we can give you are our own experiences and opinions and at the end of the day, your experience may be different than ours.

Good Luck with your decision.

-Alex

Last edited by lonewolf69; 03-18-08 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-18-08, 07:51 PM
dholling13
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kphu
honestly with all of this gas talk going on here it sounded like I was in some cheap car forum.......if you can afford a Lexus then I don't think paying for gas is a problem.

just my $0.02.

Read this little piece below:

IN ORLANDO LAST WEEK, AT A CITGO STATION REGULAR WAS PRICED AT $2.82 PER GALLON, NO CUSTOMERS, HOWEVER ACROSS THE STREET
FUEL WAS SELLING FOR $2.85 PER GALLON AND ALL PUMPS THERE HAD CARS WAITING TO FUEL.

Have you noticed how the CITGO signs have disappeared in the past 7-8 months? Very clever move by Chavez.But guess what CITGO IS CHANGING ITS NAME...this is serious Americans...make sure you read.

NEWS FLASH:
Chavez is NOW getting a Russian Weapons Factory built by Putin. The RUSSIANS are building an AK-47 Kalashnikov Assault Rifle factory in Venezuela, to give armament support to Communist Rebel groups throughout the Americas.

Chavez NOW has IRANIANS operating his oil refineries in Venezuela for him. It is likely only a matter of time, if not already, before Chavez has Iranian built LONG RANGE missiles, with a variety of warhead types aimed at: Guess Who?

CITGO is NOW in the process of Changing Its Name to PETRO EXPRESS due to the loss of gasoline sales in the USA due to the recent publicity of ownership by Chavez of Venezuela.

Every dollar you spend with CITGO or PETRO EXPRESS gasoline will be used against you, your basic human rights, and your freedoms.He will start wars here in the Americas that will probably be the death of millions.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT because Chavez is starting to feel the loss of revenue from his holdings.HE OWNS CITGO. This is a very important move that everyone should be aware of.

ANNOUNCED JUST RECENTLY, CITGO, BEING AWARE THAT SALES ARE DOWN DUE TO U.S. CUSTOMERS NOT WANTING TO BUY FROM "CITGO-CHAVEZ", HAVE STARTED TO CHANGE THE NAME OF SOME OF THEIR STORES TO: "PETRO EXPRESS" DO NOT BUY FROM "PETRO EXPRESS" EITHER!!! "PETRO EXPRESS" IS ALSO 100% OWNED BY "CHAVEZ." KEEP THIS MEMO GOING SO THAT EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT IS HAPPENING.BOYCOTT
"CITGO" AND "PETRO EXPRESS"

I look at it like this: with the uncertainty of oil why not enjoy whatever you want as long as it is within your means...
Old 03-18-08, 08:20 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dholling13

Quote #1
I look at it like this: with the uncertainty of oil why not enjoy whatever you want as long as it is within your means...

Quote #2
Originally Posted by kphu

just my $0.02.
I can "afford" the gas price, and I can "afford" the GX, I somehow find these two quotes to be somewhat elitist/demeaning/snobbish. Is it because we somehow have a "Luxury" vehicle, we're suppose to be "enjoy" paying higher prices for gas, should I cheerfully keep quiet and "act" as if the rising GAS prices shouldn't be a concern?!? I really don't understand the mentality of some of these posts on these forums here.

Oh, this guy is complaining about GAS prices, oh, shut him up already...
If he can't afford the GAS then he shouldn't be driving a GX...
He should have known better before buying a 4WD, Doh!...
I hope the Gas prices go up to $5.00 a gallon and then ONLY real LEXUS drivers can afford to drive the GX...

BTW - I don't know if the "intent" of the previous posts were meant in jest, IF so, a "smiley" face would have gone a long way. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, and it's just that. My opinion for the original poster to "help" him and his wife on deciding which vehicle to choose. With posts like these, the Original Poster might decide a GX and the SNOBBERY that goes along with GX ownership might not be worth it.

-Alex

Quick Reply: Help making GX470 vs 4Runner decision