GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Help making GX470 vs 4Runner decision

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-08, 03:56 PM
ahearn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help making GX470 vs 4Runner decision

My wife has had two Toyota 4Runners (Limited, 6cyl) in the past and is now in the market for another. The most recent just got totaled in an accident. She loved the vehicle and wants a new 2008.

Having a Lexus myself, I've suggested a new GX470 but she sees it as just a needlessly expensive 4Runner with no outstanding differences in quality, features, or performance. And the only engine is a V8, which she doesn't really need. She feels the extra cost of insurance and scheduled maintenance is not worth it.

I'm not necessarily going to try to "sell" her on the 470 but if there are things you guys think we should know that might help us make a decision, we would appreciate hearing it. Thanks.

Al
Old 03-07-08, 04:24 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ahearn
My wife has had two Toyota 4Runners (Limited, 6cyl) in the past and is now in the market for another. The most recent just got totaled in an accident. She loved the vehicle and wants a new 2008.

Having a Lexus myself, I've suggested a new GX470 but she sees it as just a needlessly expensive 4Runner with no outstanding differences in quality, features, or performance. And the only engine is a V8, which she doesn't really need. She feels the extra cost of insurance and scheduled maintenance is not worth it.

I'm not necessarily going to try to "sell" her on the 470 but if there are things you guys think we should know that might help us make a decision, we would appreciate hearing it. Thanks.

Al
Biggest difference is the image. Generally, 4runner types aren't lexus types (I think your wife would agree). People complain the gx470 ride is not a lexus ride (ladder frame underneath). Only advantage I see is full-time AWD (with gas penalty)

Both the 4runner and the GX470 depreciate well but the GX starts off a bigger number so you lose more money on the GX.
Old 03-07-08, 04:27 PM
TYMSMNY
Driver School Candidate

Well, coming FROM a V8 4runner... I must say that the differences are very few. Let me try and go through the "quality, features, and performance" part.

Quality - Although both have leather, the seats in the GX provides a more luxurious and comfortable ride. The leather might have come from the same cow, but it feels softer in the GX. The seats are a bit smaller than the 4runner but to me, it provides more of a bolstered side. Instead of the plastic moulding that's found in the 4runner, the GX uses felt for it's A-pillars and such.

Features - Lots of things are identical. Heated seats, DSC off, uphill/downhill etc etc. Couple of thing that I really like that were not in my 4runner. Navi (remember Canadian editions don't have Navi), suspension stiffness, autodown mirrors when backing up, and the wood (iffy on this). The Navi and touchscreen options were definitely on the "buy me because of" side.

Performance - The GX is slightly heavier but the engines are the same. BIG difference in the ride though.. much quieter due to more insulation and thicker glass. I'm 6'1 and the 4runner didn't give me enough headroom...whereas the GX lets me sit higher and with plenty of headroom.

Ryan
Old 03-07-08, 05:32 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test rode both vehicles before I purchased my GX.
To me, I didn't like the seating position in the 4Runner. I felt that I was sitting closer to the floor. Also the seats were much firmer in the 4Runner.
I also didn't like the way the door mounted switchgear for the windows and locks were angled in the 4Runner. The dashboard/instrument panel in the GX is attractively designed in the GX. The 4Runners just looks like it was thrown together. The heating/air conditioning control panel with those ugly round **** things looked like they came from an old Toyota Tercel. Also due to the higher roof on the GX, it has much more head room inside the vehicle front and rear.
Now granted the GX does cost about $8,000 more when comparably equipped, but I feel it is worth it. The smoothness, quietness with the way the GX goes down the road is amazing. The Mark Levinson sound system also easily outdoes the best system that is available in the 4Runner.

There are many other reasons, but I'll keep it short.
Old 03-07-08, 06:29 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Although you're paying for it, the Lexus treatment should be taken into consideration. When you bring your vehicle in for maintenance and it takes more than 3hrs then Lexus will go you another Lexus vehicle as a loaner for no additional charge. The car wash is also a nice perk too. I can drive my vehicle down to the dealership at anytime to just get a free car wash.

Edit:

I think the best comparison would be for your wife to drive both vehicles and see how she reacts to it.
Old 03-08-08, 08:12 AM
ahearn
Rookie

Thanks folks. This has been very helpful. Since we're already familiar with the 4Runner, we'll go do a test drive in the GX and compare.
Old 03-08-08, 08:13 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Al
Ahearn,

I think your wife is right on this topic, the LEXUS isn't really providing anything that the 4RUNNER isn't already capable of doing. The GX470 is just an upgraded/luxurious version of the 4RUNNER. That being said, the GX470 is IMHO a huge step up in the looks/touch/comfort department. I've had my GX470 for about three years now 05' model and recently sat in my friend's 4Runner it was a much harsher ride and the interior of the 4runner was a major step down in comfort in both the front seats and back seats. While both trucks will get you to your destination over ROCKS, MUD, RAIN and SNOW thanks to the TCS, 4WD, etc...
The LEXUS will get you there in STYLE and COMFORT but at a penalty in $$$ ($15 ~ $20K) and GAS (V6 selectable 2/4 WD vs. V8 dedicated 4WD ONLY).

-Alex
Old 03-08-08, 08:58 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

ahearn, I have owned both suvs, and they are both built solid. Some of the 4runner's advantages are: you live in Georgia, you dont really need the full time 4wd and paid more for gas. The GX has a lot more headroom, I dont know how tall your wife is, but some taller people dont fit well in the 4runner. The 4 runner also handle a bit better than the GX, unless you buy the GX with the KDSS options. The 4runner have the 6 cylinder option, which is enough engine if you dont plan to tow.

The GX's advantages: The GX has a lot more headroom, I dont know how tall your wife is, but some taller people dont fit well in the 4runner. GX has a better ride and much quieter than the 4runner. Rear camera option is great for a SUV this size. Of course the interior is the big difference, and the seats on the GX are much nicer.

Aside from that, the GX was only a $100 more a year to insure. The maintenance is the same as the 4runner. The Lexus dealers are much better than the Toyota dealer. If you dont want to paid for the extra cost of the Lexus service department, you can always bring thr GX to a Toyota service department as long as it routine maintenance. In the end, I prefer the GX over the 4runner.

Why not look at the RX350 while you are at the dealer, My wife loves that car like all females do. It drives better than the 4runner and the GX and it cost less than the GX. If you dont go off road, the RX is more suitable for city driving. There is a dealer insentive right now on the 08 RX. $3000 to the dealers I believe, so you can actually get a 08 RX for about $2000 under invoice which is a great buy.

Good luck

Last edited by The G Man; 03-08-08 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-08-08, 05:39 PM
ahearn
Rookie

G-Man, thanks for the comprehensive response.

My wife and I went to the Lexus dealer this afternoon, and sat in the car, played with it, inspected in thoroughly, picked up a brochure, and quizzed the salesperson, although we didn't have time to take a test drive today.

Our observations were that the GX 470 was much more luxurious than the 4Runner, 3" taller, seemed shorter (may be an optical illusion), didn't have the roll-down rear door glass that my wife loves when grocery shopping, rear door opens sideways instead of up (might be a problem in our garage), rear 2nd row seats were cheaper-looking thinly cushioned instead of fully cushioned seats as in the 4Runner, and requires premium gas with lower EPA mileage. We were not overly impressed but may still keep the option open if we can't find exactly the right 4Runner.
Old 03-08-08, 06:35 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

ahearn, did you and your wife look at the RX350? I had one as a loaner 2 weeks ago, I was actually very impressed with it, considering the fact that its a female SUV. Every female I know loves the power rear hatch, no need for a power rear window. You own a Lexus, so you know that you are not doing any Lexus justice if you dont test drive it. In fact, I would test drive it on the highway. Thats where the Lexus really shine, less wind noise.
I see you have a 08 GS460, that car must be a sweet ride. I test drove it, the smoother powertrain I have ever experience. The engine is a tone down version of the new LS's direct fuel injection V8, the power band on that engine almost seems limitless. Too bad it didnt come in a AWD version, I had to buy the GS350 AWD.
Old 03-10-08, 07:40 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 194 Likes on 114 Posts

Have you seen the new for February '08 "Urban" 4Runner? Might be right up your wife's alley - I know my wife would love the white one. There's a thread on T4R.ORG about it here: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showth...threadid=34513 Other then the goofy name, it looks very nice - basicall a 4WD V6 Sport Edition (so you get the hood scoop), plus the Limited's 18" wheels and some nice interior features. It's available in the GX's Blizzard Pearl color, the first time that color has been offered on the T4R (only other colors are black and silver). A 2WD version will be out in April I believe.

Last edited by GatorGreg; 03-10-08 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-10-08, 11:09 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I love pearly white 4runners....
Old 03-10-08, 01:04 PM
Gromulus
Driver School Candidate

GX vs. 4Runner V8 Limited: More headroom, slightly worse handling, slightly quieter ride, much nicer leather, rear barn door design, better stereo, "Lexus dealer treatment", more $
Old 03-12-08, 08:07 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

...My wife and I went to the Lexus dealer this afternoon, and sat in the car, played with it, inspected in thoroughly, picked up a brochure, and quizzed the salesperson, although we didn't have time to take a test drive today...
You really need to take it for a drive in order to compare the two. I drove both and IMO there is a very significant difference between them. The 4-Runner was okay but I had no real interest in buying it -- it just seemed to be too much raw truck coming through. We drove the GX and immediately loved it -- still a truck, but at the same time it's just got a good feel about it.... Hard to explain exactly, but there's a lot of difference between the two.
Old 03-12-08, 09:56 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I guess the other big question is whether the both of you need the 3rd row seat also?

Like lonewolf and other members said, the both are very similar equipped.
If you can't justify the extra $$$ for name, plushness, better dealer service and other features, go for the 4runner and pocket the change for a nice vacation for the both of you
Or what G man said and get the RX

After having been spoiled with lexus, it's hard to get back in a toyota

I don't know how many time I b@tch about the sienna being louder, seats suck, no projector headlight...but it serves its purpose and about 1/2 price cheaper

Quick Reply: Help making GX470 vs 4Runner decision