GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

front seat problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-08, 09:15 AM
tsslo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front seat problems

I have an 07 GX and I love it. The one issue I'm trying to resolve is that just after I purchased it I developed a sore back which has persisted for over 5 months now. I have narrowed the problem down to the drivers seat. Has anyone had similar problems and if so was Lexus open to trying to solve this by replacing the seat? I have not had a full nights sleep since I purchased the GX...
Old 06-17-08, 10:11 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The driver seat in the GX is one of the msot comfortable seat in the market, why would Lexus replace the driver seat with the same seat unless there is something wrong with it. Are all the adjustments working on your driver seat? The passenger seat, now thats a different story
Old 06-17-08, 11:33 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts

I agree with GMan, the GX driver's seat is very comfy IMO. In fact here's a quote from USA Today back when the GX first came out:

The front seats, especially, ravish both the eye and the rump, cosseting the body in sculpted premium leather. The GX chairs are, for many physiques, a new standard in automotive comfort.
(Here's a link to a thread at T4R.ORG where the above quoted review and many others praising the GX seats is posted: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showth...5&pagenumber=3 )

I'm guessing your lumbar support is over/under inflated. That, or you look like Quasimodo
Old 06-18-08, 09:50 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

You'll have to experiment with the seat settings. Everyone's shape and size is different. Lumbar support helps for my back, but for me, I wish the thigh support was better (i.e., seat cushion too short IMO). I wish it extended a little further out.
Old 06-18-08, 01:02 PM
Linko
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried tilting the front of the seat upwards to provide more support for your thighs, which helps put less strain on your back? I'm 6'5" and feel that the GX seats are the most comfortable I've ever had. We have taken the vehicle on several very long road trips, so I've managed to play with the settings enough to find that "best comfort" setup. It's probably different for everyone, depending on your body type, but I highly recommend tilting the front edge of the driver's seat up to alleviate some back strain that might be caused by your legs lacking support.
Old 06-18-08, 03:47 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusBob
You'll have to experiment with the seat settings. Everyone's shape and size is different. Lumbar support helps for my back, but for me, I wish the thigh support was better (i.e., seat cushion too short IMO). I wish it extended a little further out.
Tend to agree here..... the seats are comfortable HOWEVER I do wish the seat cushion were a bit longer. I should measure it for comparison..... but it definitely feels shorter than the seat cushion in my wifes GS350 or any of the other cars in my stable. Still, it's my daily driver and comfortable but I do sometimes get a bit fatigued by the seat on long drives. Not really fatigued, but restless in my legs. Incidentally, tilting it upward seems to "shorten" it even more

YMMV but I'm obviously not alone in this thinking.....
Old 06-19-08, 09:30 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
Tend to agree here..... the seats are comfortable HOWEVER I do wish the seat cushion were a bit longer. I should measure it for comparison..... but it definitely feels shorter than the seat cushion in my wifes GS350 or any of the other cars in my stable. Still, it's my daily driver and comfortable but I do sometimes get a bit fatigued by the seat on long drives. Not really fatigued, but restless in my legs. Incidentally, tilting it upward seems to "shorten" it even more

YMMV but I'm obviously not alone in this thinking.....
I agree. I've tried tilting the front of the seat up too. I don't like to do that because it feels like I'm cutting off the circulation to my legs, and my body feels more pinched between the front of the seat and the upper seat back.
Old 06-19-08, 11:46 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Well, if you are cutting off the circulation to my legs, you have it tilt up too high
Old 07-05-08, 01:09 AM
LexGX
Pole Position

For some reason i don't think the seats in the gx are comfortable. But my friends thinks that they are great....i think its just me.
Old 07-08-08, 11:19 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

No one can design a seat that fits evertbody, its impossible. The idea is to design a seat that most people find comfortable.