GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Replacement Battery - Tough to Find :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-08, 05:59 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replacement Battery - Tough to Find :(

So, after 4 years and 60K my battery went tonight....... Sensed recently it was on it's way out but thought I'd and push the limits (luckily happened in the garage )

Still shows ~ 11V but obviously not enough CCAs to kick the starter. So now I'm having one he!! of a time finding a replacement (27F series). Really don't want to go w/ Sears Int'l so I figured I'd go w/ Optima 34R. Of course, no one around me stocks it. Tried Pep Boys, Costco, AutoZone (wouldn't even order it either), etc.... Anyone buy a replacement from the dealer? Suggestions from the crowd for other places to look or should I just order online?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-20-08, 07:00 PM
rainmn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced mine proactively around 50k miles. Went to my local independent auto parts store, and they had it in stock. I think I paid about $65.

I'm surprised to hear that the chain stores don't have one.

Edit: Nevermind - I missed the part of your post where you said you were looking for an Optima.

Last edited by rainmn; 06-23-08 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-23-08, 09:47 AM
kutsyy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
Really don't want to go w/ Sears Int'l so I figured I'd go w/ Optima 34R. Of course, no one around me stocks it.
Check Walmart (don't laugh , they actually have good selection of Optima's in stock ). But looking up on http://www.optimabatteries.com I don't see GX listed.

Also, check Napa NASCAR Select Orbital, if I am not wrong it is Optima.
Old 06-23-08, 10:04 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

NTB sells Optimas too.
Old 06-23-08, 11:59 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Found a 34R Sat AM at Advanced Auto but thanks for all the suggestions. I wanted to go there in the first place but their site didn't show they carried the 34R (at least not that I could find )..... only some off brand replacement battery. Guess I should have reported back.....

Anyhow, drop in was straight forward, but did necessitate a few minor adjustments.

If you use the height adapter which comes w/ the Optima battery, you don't need to adjust the tie downs (yes it will still clear the hood w/ plenty of room to spare). If you do not use height adapter...... then you need to cut ~ 1" off each tie down rod (at the bottom not the threaded part ) and just bend in a new hook.

Regardless if you use the battery height extender or not, you will need an extension for the chassis cable. The + cable and the engine block portion have plenty of reach - unfortunately, the chassis cable is just a bit short . I used a 4" side mount battery splice cable - only reversed it....

After trimming the two aux hook ups from the extension, I cut the metal connector off the OEM cable and stripped back about 3/4" of insulation. Using the splice/clamp connector (hidden under the black boot in right of photo above) I connected the extension to the OEM cable. Then, I pulled out the side mount bolt and terminal rubber boot (on left in photo) and attached to chassis in OEM location using the OEM 10mm bolt. Done!

Hope this helps others down the road.

Last edited by BurgBoxstr; 06-23-08 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-23-08, 12:34 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Sure sounds like a lot of work for something that is suppose to be a direct replacement
Old 06-23-08, 01:35 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The G Man
Sure sounds like a lot of work for something that is suppose to be a direct replacement
Optima batteries really are not considered "direct replacements" ...... unless of course you'd consider diamonds as direct replacements for the cubic zirconium stones lost in the jewelry you give your better half j/k

Seriously though, they are direct replacements for a # of series of batteries and have ratings which meet (and more often well exceed) OEM. Where they are direct size/series replacements, they provide you w/ the adapters to do so.

Unfortunately the GX uses a 27F series battery - not the most common (much like the wonderful H11 low beam bulbs....). If you use the height adapter, all you need is a cable extender. Not sure why but I decided not to use the height extender. Guess I was in a fiddle around kind of mood Sat AM while it was raining.

Regardless, I had the new Optima battery installed in under 30 minutes (more like 15).

Aside from the Optima w/ 800 CCA - 39# for $150, the next best option I had was to go to Sears at the.... mall . There, I'd have to spend $130 for a 52# DieHard In'tl w/ 710 CCA, or $190 for 53# Diehard Platinum. I didn't even bother w/ the dealer... no surprise there, huh

Now, get back in the GS forum where you belong as this forum is for current GX owners only
Old 06-23-08, 04:03 PM
kutsyy
Driver

Aside from the Optima w/ 800 CCA - 39# for $150, the next best option I had was to go to Sears at the.... mall .
Well, there is also yellow top (D34 and D31)
Old 06-23-08, 07:26 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Now, get back in the GS forum where you belong as this forum is for current GX owners only
They kick me out over there too
Old 06-26-08, 12:43 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I got an Odyssey mil-spec AGM. Bought mine from West Coast Batteries (price was unadvertised, called 'em up, turned out to be the lowest price).

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=363042
Old 07-05-08, 01:12 AM
LexGX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kutsyy
Well, there is also yellow top (D34 and D31)
I"m thinking about getting the yellow top since i have an audio system in my gx...would it be a direct replacement? simple as connecting positive to positive and negative to negative?
Old 07-06-08, 03:03 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

See my post #5 above about fitting the Redtop 34R in the GX. In the yellow top (34 series which is the replacement by specs), I don't think they make any w/ the R designation (terminals reversed....... technically they move them to the back of battery so + is on left rear, - on right rear). As such, if you go yellow top in 34 series you'll need extensions for both the + and -.
Old 07-07-08, 01:56 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

ah....ok i see what you mean now. Thanks for the share. If you don't mind me asking, how much was the yellow top?
Old 07-08-08, 05:54 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Sorry, do not know price of yellow top. The red top was $150 w/ core exchange from AutoZone. Optima has a $25 mail in rebate going on right now... of course my battery couldn't make it 11 days

Optima $25 Rebate Thru 9/15
Old 07-09-08, 11:44 AM
kutsyy
Driver

Originally Posted by LexGX
I"m thinking about getting the yellow top since i have an audio system in my gx...
Yellow top is deep cycle battery, so it would allow you to run it down often without hurting the battery. So unless you are planing to run heavy equipment on the battery alone (i.e. without engine on), there is no reason for you to get yellow top. As an example, if you have winches which you want to use without engine on, you would want yellow top. Otherwise, yellow top and red top are identical.

Vadim

Quick Reply: Replacement Battery - Tough to Find :(