GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-08, 01:21 PM
roqfish
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased an 05 GX470 at an M Benz dealer 2 months ago. 25 days ago I had a Lexus dealer look into a clunking sound coming from mid to rear in what seems to be the drive line. The sound would occur while stopped at a red light. The dealer said they knew what it was and would repair along with performing the 30k service (actual miles 36K) service. We got the car back - everything was fine.

This morning my wife calls and is broken down on the side of the road. She said she was doing about 35 mph, when the car "came loose" and she "fishtailed" a bit - then pulled over and found what looks like a control arm dangling loose? The car is now on a flatbed headed back to the dealer.

My question is how could this happen? Could it be the dealer forgot to tighten it back up after doing whatever repair was done to the drive-line? Do these things just come loose? I don't see how. I've had many vehicles, this one being one of the nicer and to think that it just came loose is puzzling?

Anyway, now my wife's confidence is shaken and doesn't trust the car. I'm just glad everyone is safe, but I'm upset to think there was negligence or something faulty.

I've called the dealer and talked with the manager. He was nice and apologetic. But said he couldn't tell what happened until he see's it. Well that is certainly understandable. Lexus just dropped a loaner here at my house. So now I sit and wait.

Is there a certain step I should take at this point?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Roqfish
Attached Thumbnails Help-gx470.jpg  
Old 09-02-08, 02:00 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Glad to hear everyone is okay! At this stage I would recommend waiting to hear what the dealer has to say in response to what appears to be a result of an irresponsible technician. It is certainly NOT common for a control arm to just loosen up and become unattached on any car let alone a GX. I suspect since the control arms were replaced as part of the drive shaft assembly replacement under the TSB the technician failed to torque the bolts attaching the control arm to manufacturers specs. Certainly the onus is on Lexus to apologize and before you pick your truck up to reassure you and your wife they went through your vehicle with a fine tooth comb to ensure that every nut and bolt on your under carriage is torqued down per manufacturers specifications. In addition they should inspect to ensure that none of the control arm and drive shaft assembly components/connections were bent or damaged as a result of the "fishtailing." Lastly I would ask Lexus to replace w/new the control arm and bushings that failed and perhaps were dragged on the road.

Again, thankfully nobody was injured and that your truck is probably okay, but I would make sure the GM of the dealership hears about it, especially considering the outcome could have been a lot different!

Let us know how Lexus responds to this issue.

Last edited by cssnms; 09-02-08 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-03-08, 05:52 AM
mkupchyk
Driver School Candidate

cssnms, nice response. Good advice and well stated.

Roqfish,
I agree. You can even go so far as to ask to see the car up on the lift and then visually inspect the arm to see if it was replaced or looks all scratched up from the road, etc.

Just don't get too upset at them, at least with the manager. The tech may get fired even without you saying one more word. The point is that you should express your concerns firmly but calmly, the Service Mngr and GM should hear what you have to say (if they are not available you can type a quick memo and give each a copy) so it is 'on record' and more importantly they know who you are. Why? Future repairs or dealings. You will end up having a better relationship down the road and get more out of it by being diplomatic vs. yelling & freaking out.
Old 09-03-08, 10:39 AM
roqfish
Driver School Candidate

Update

I just got a call from the service manager. He believes a bolt was left loose and that caused "the event". He assured me that the shop foreman has personally torqued all bolts in the undercarriage and nothing looks to be damaged. A detail and full tank of gas and it will be ready at noon.

I expressed my concern over future issues with the vehicle due to the event and he said that what happened will be in the paper work and that it was their fault. He suggests I take great comfort in this because if there is an issue in the future - it will be taken care of at any Lexus dealer in the world. I also asked that they both speak to my wife and assure her that it's not quality of car issue but a people issue.

Hey look, I'm thankful for what did happen - which is nothing big. But I don't want to be anymore ignorant then I already am . Would you all be satisfied at this point?

Thx again.
Old 09-03-08, 10:45 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds like Lexus handled it the right way! I would be satisfied, but more importantly is your wife satisfied and comfortable with the vehicle now after speaking with the manager?

You have a great vehicle and one I choose to entrust with my life and family's life everyday we get in.