GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Flip key trouble

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-08, 01:11 PM
jolex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flip key trouble

Thought I would share this story: I bought a flip key (push button - key pops out) on ebay. Item came from Hong Kong and looked pretty good, with shipping I paid $20. I then paid $40 to cut the blank and then swapped the guts from the original key into the new fob which has the transducer. So far so good, key opens doors, steering wheel powers into position with key inserted but car will not start. Engine will not roll over, just hesitates. This is what it's supposed to do w/o the transducer present. Swap the guts back to the original shell car starts just fine. Showed it to my service rep and he believes that the distance from the transducer to the sensor in the new case is too far away to detect. Measuring shows difference of 1-1/2". Apparently just this short difference makes my new key unusable. I thought about getting a new battery for the fob but have decided against possibly damaging my ignition over $60 Oh well at least I have a fancy spare for the future. Any ideas or similar issues please share, otherwise just fyi and be careful if you ever wanted to buy one of these.
Old 12-02-08, 02:54 PM
ELEX470
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you for shearing.
I was thinking of buying on too!
Old 12-03-08, 06:04 PM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that the transducer is imbedded in the plastic part of the key fob, not in the remote part. To test this theory, put your new key into ignition, touch your original key close to the ignition and than try to turn the engine over. That should work. Which will prove the point, it's just not going to get you closer to your goal. If this new key, has an imbedded transducer, you can have the Lexus dealer program it into the cars computer. That would be your only option.
Old 12-03-08, 08:29 PM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gsobol
I think that the transducer is imbedded in the plastic part of the key fob, not in the remote part. To test this theory, put your new key into ignition, touch your original key close to the ignition and than try to turn the engine over. That should work. Which will prove the point, it's just not going to get you closer to your goal. If this new key, has an imbedded transducer, you can have the Lexus dealer program it into the cars computer. That would be your only option.
Nope, the plastic is just plastic.

I bought new plastic cases for both of my keys (on eBay) when they got worn looking and all you do is put the "guts" from the old key into the new one, but you do have to get the keys cut which is way more expsnsive than it should be.
Old 12-04-08, 08:10 AM
jolex
Driver School Candidate

yep - cmarshack is right. service rep at lexus told me that transducer was in the guts. my only thinking is if anyone buys one of these maybe have the blank cut a little shorter to match the distance to the original key... probably better idea... ask your locksmith what he thinks
Old 01-03-09, 07:58 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jolex
Thought I would share this story: I bought a flip key (push button - key pops out) on ebay. Item came from Hong Kong and looked pretty good, with shipping I paid $20. I then paid $40 to cut the blank and then swapped the guts from the original key into the new fob which has the transducer. So far so good, key opens doors, steering wheel powers into position with key inserted but car will not start. Engine will not roll over, just hesitates. This is what it's supposed to do w/o the transducer present. Swap the guts back to the original shell car starts just fine. Showed it to my service rep and he believes that the distance from the transducer to the sensor in the new case is too far away to detect. Measuring shows difference of 1-1/2". Apparently just this short difference makes my new key unusable. I thought about getting a new battery for the fob but have decided against possibly damaging my ignition over $60 Oh well at least I have a fancy spare for the future. Any ideas or similar issues please share, otherwise just fyi and be careful if you ever wanted to buy one of these.
Are you still trying to get your flipkey to work? I have 2004 Rx same key type as the GX and I had the same problem. There is this metal like black rectangle in the remote part (buttons not the case) pull it out. That is the chip and place it into the front of the switch blade key. I put it in some cotton so it would not rattle. Let me now if you got more questions
Old 01-05-09, 06:26 AM
jolex
Driver School Candidate

that sounds like it might work - but i managed to find another route that worked for me. i had a jeweler cut the key shroter and re-attach it. your method would be simpler though!!