GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Garage Door Opener Programming

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-09, 05:25 PM
GXnewby
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage Door Opener Programming

Having difficulty with my 2009 GX in getting light on roof mounted HomeLink opener to "blink" while it is learning the code from my hand held unit. Book says it will blink slowly then quickly as it "learns" the code. My light is on continuously when any one of the three buttons is pressed, and does not blink at all, regardless of how long I hold down my hand held unit.

Have I done something wrong?
Many thanks.
Old 04-06-09, 07:37 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't had any luck programming my home link either so if anyone is in the know that would be helpful.

Ken
Old 04-06-09, 07:43 PM
Nixlimited
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kphu
I haven't had any luck programming my home link either so if anyone is in the know that would be helpful.

Ken
The method I have used with all my homelinks is the following:
1. Hold buttons 1 and 3 down for around 20-30 seconds, or until the blinking pattern changes. It takes a while, be patient. After this, all the buttons should blink slowly when pressed individually.
2. Get your remote (garage, etc) and hold it next to the homelink buttons. Press and hold the homelink button you want to program. Simultaneously press and hold the remote (garage, etc) button you want programmed. Again, wait until the blinking pattern changes--should be from slow to fast, and it can take a while.
3. If it is a coded remote, like most any garage door these days, the final step is to go to your garage door motor housing, and find the "learn" button. Press that and then quickly press your programmed homelink button and hold it until the garage light blinks. This shouldn't take long. This is also much easier to accomplish with two people.
4. After the garage (or whatever) acknowledges that it has learned the new remote (your homelink), you release the homelink button and press it again to test. It should work.
Old 04-07-09, 08:02 AM
GXnewby
Driver School Candidate

Nixlimited:
You are the greatest. Your tip on the HomeLink programming was dead on! My problem was in getting the lights to blink to start with. Holding #1 and #3 down worked. Took about 20 seconds to start blinking. From there, no problems. Many thanks.
Old 04-07-09, 12:24 PM
Nixlimited
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GXnewby
Nixlimited:
You are the greatest. Your tip on the HomeLink programming was dead on! My problem was in getting the lights to blink to start with. Holding #1 and #3 down worked. Took about 20 seconds to start blinking. From there, no problems. Many thanks.
Good to know. Just keep in mind that you don't want to do that step unless you are initializing the homelink, or need to wipe out all the codes to put new ones in. While you can program them one at a time, you can only reset the programmed buttons all at the same time.
Old 04-09-09, 07:21 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gosh darn it...for 5 yrs I lived in my house and now I'm selling and just signed a S&P I find this info. I'll have to somehow save this thread for my next house whenever that maybe.