GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Looking for a V8 SUV from Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-09, 11:05 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with GX. Its nice size SUV with serious off road capabilities. It very smooth and quiet ride. As far as towing, I towed my friend BMW M3 for 200 miles without any problem.
Old 04-08-09, 04:29 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
A couple of comments on the LX470 being a tarted up Toyota LandCruiser. First, the GX is a tarted up Prado. Probably less of an issue in the USA where the Prado isn't sold, but it's still a Toyota at heart. Second, there aren't many manufacturers that don't offer tarted up versions these days. It's so easy / lazy for them to add lipstick, some additional features and a new badge to get a premium price. Third, in the case of the LX versus the LandCruiser, the tarting makes for a much nicer vehicle. Better materials, leather, sound deadening, stereo, etc. I wouldn't do the LC, but would love the LX! To each their own...
True re: the Prado. i'm probably in the minority, but I would have bought the Prado instead had it been available here. I'm a reluctant lexus owner, but absolutely love the GX. I know -- odd duck.
Old 04-09-09, 06:12 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Not odd at all, I would have bought the Prado too. Same truck but repair and parts are half the cost.
Old 04-09-09, 07:24 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cssnms
It's simple... It sure is purdy to look at and the girls like it!
^^^^^^^^^^ditto!!!!!!!!
Old 04-10-09, 09:19 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If the GX was offered with the Prado's turbo diesel, I'd have been all over that instead of the V8 gas engine. The diesel trades a bit of performance for significantly better mpg and torque. That's the ticket: semi-big Lexus SUV that doesn't get crappy mpg!

P.S. FWIW and since it's not related to the GX directly, let's call this one not worth much. The "leather" err plastic coated leather and pleather on my recently departed '01 Acura CL Type S was terrible, as it repeatedly cracked and peeled on the driver seat seat and back bolsters. By comparison ALL of the leather on my '02 GS430 is still in top, top notch shape! Of course, the MSRPs were dramatically different, but the point I'm attempting to make is that quality leather lasts.
Old 04-12-09, 03:29 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DDLexus
a few things concern me about buying a mid-level Lexus. For one, the leather quality. I test drove a GX a few months ago and the leather was peeling away on the seats. The car was only 4 yrs old and the leather was sad. As a previous owner of a top-of-the-line LS430 Ultra, the leather was the best you could find. Semi-aniline and perforated. I have not driven a 2003+ LC or LX, but i would hope that the top-of-the-line SUV has the best leather out there. Anyone care to comment about that?
Unfortunately, leather durability is NOT the LX's (nor GX) strong point. My brother has an '01 LX470 with 70k miles on it. There are plenty of creases in it. (His LX is garaged both at home and work.) The leather is seemingly soft, but very thin. Coming from a LS Ultra, you will likely be disappointed in the leather of both GX and LX.
Old 04-12-09, 03:40 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by Bob GX
Another consideration is the AWD system and the maintenance required - they are not the same between the GX and the LX. The LX requires more maintenance. On the other hand, off-road magazines seem to think the LX has the more capable AWD system, so if you're doing true off-road (like, not dirt road, but no road....) the LX might be better. Not saying the GX isn't good off road - just that there are differences, with more maintenance on the LX.
Actually, there is not much of a difference between the 4wd systems of the two. If anything, the GX has a more advance system. The GX center differential is a Torsen unit that allows for variable amount of power to be shifted front and rear for better on-road performance. For example, around a corner, more power is shifted to the rear (30% front / 70% rear) for better handling "feel." In the LX, power is always divided 50/50 front/rear. This has nothing to do with off-roading, but it may help those who want a "sportier feel" around corners, etc..

The main difference between the two off-road is in the way the underbody is designed. The LX underbody is clean...nothing sticks below the frame. Everything is tucked up...keeping important parts away from rocks. In the GX, you have things hanging below the frame (transfer case, crossmembers, fuel tank, etc.). The front suspension design is also different. The LX has torsion bar designed front suspension. The GX has coil springs. Overall, the LX has more suspension flex than GX...equivalent to a GX with KDSS.

Ground clearance is significantly better in the LX due to the fact that the LX470 is an old design. All new SUVs front end must be compatible with a sedan in a crash...therefore, all new SUVs front end is low (butt high stance). Due to this, the GX front end is low...resulting in a ground clearance of only 8.3". (Of course, you can fix this by lifting the front end with aftermarket parts.) The LX ground clearance is around 9.6" (i think from memory).

The GX does hold an advantage in that it is narrower than the LX, which is a good thing off-road.
Old 04-12-09, 03:35 PM
Racing AZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LX is a re-badged Land Cruiser.
Old 04-12-09, 03:37 PM
tigmd99
Racer

GX is a re-badged 4runner/Prado.
Old 04-12-09, 09:38 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99
GX is a re-badged 4runner/Prado.
How so, the prado has a different engine, it doesn't come with a V8.

Available engines for the prado are the 2.7 L (2693 cc) straight-4 3RZ-FE, 3.4 L (3378 cc) V-6 5VZ-FE and 3.0 L (2982 cc) straight-4 Turbo diesel 1KD-FTV.

And to those who think that the 4runner and the GX are the same because they share the same drivetrain and both made by toyota, I suggest you test drive both of them and you'll know the difference.
Old 04-12-09, 10:32 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by malmon
And to those who think that the 4runner and the GX are the same because they share the same drivetrain and both made by toyota, I suggest you test drive both of them and you'll know the difference.
Oh I did and there is a HUGE difference~ GX kicks azz
Old 04-13-09, 02:46 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Just look underneath...same thing.
Old 04-13-09, 04:20 AM
mann777

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Tigm - it is only the body, but the platform and the drivetrain completely differs, I think you should re look the the differences....I keep flying to far east for my business and the hotel provides me always a Prado V6, absolutely rubbish, transmission sucks, Hate to say it that this is a toyota model, the GX is a Godzilla to these derivatives of these models. Sorry to say I eat and drink Lexus from the last 17 years , GX does any day will run over PRADO. Me and my wife are hell bet fans of LEXUS. ceeyaa
Old 04-13-09, 05:07 AM
tigmd99
Racer

No, it is the body that is different...platform is the same. Body = shell. Frame/suspension = platform. The frame, suspension are all the same. Yeah, the GX has those fancy electronic shock absorber. The suspension design is the same. I am sure other countries offer other engine choices, but that is not the point. What matters most is the backbone and suspension design...in other words, the PLATFORM. And this is where the 4runner, FJ CRuiser, Prado, and GX470 are all the same. In fact, the previous gen Sequoia and Tacomas can also be considered derivatives of the this platform.
Old 04-13-09, 07:29 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99
No, it is the body that is different...platform is the same. Body = shell. Frame/suspension = platform. The frame, suspension are all the same. Yeah, the GX has those fancy electronic shock absorber. The suspension design is the same. I am sure other countries offer other engine choices, but that is not the point. What matters most is the backbone and suspension design...in other words, the PLATFORM. And this is where the 4runner, FJ CRuiser, Prado, and GX470 are all the same. In fact, the previous gen Sequoia and Tacomas can also be considered derivatives of the this platform.
I can't fully agree with this. Yes the body is different and the undercarriage is shared, at least between Prado, 4Runner and GX - FJ is shorter. But that's where similarities end. 4Runner tracks differently than GX, and it sits a little higher off the ground, which means that suspension components are different. The engines (the V8s) have the same displacement, but they have different components and are tuned differently, not sure about the transfer case and the tranny. Even X-REAS and KDSS are different.

Can't compare Prado, as it does not come with the same drivetrain and probably suspension, but the body design is the same as GX, including the barn door in the back. Also it does come in the short version configuration, which would totally alter vehicle feel.

Sequoia and Tundra (even this gen) can be considered as derivatives of the Land Cruiser platform, not GX/4Runner (you're right on the Tacoma). Well, they are both body on frame design, but Land Cruiser platform was made to carry more weight.

What I'm trying to say, even though there are similarities between the vehicles, they share the same frame, they share the same suspension mount points, but the small differences in suspension components will make the difference in the vehicle feel and handling. Things like springs, shocks, bushings, etc. will directly impact the vehicle feel and in turn your appreciation of the vehicle. It's interesting to note that most people that test drive GX and 4Runner say that GX fells more floaty, softer, where 4Runner feels more rigid and bouncy. I guess it's kind of like SB and DD coffee, they are both made from coffee bean, but they taste and cost differently. It's all in the details and execution.

Last edited by gsobol; 04-13-09 at 07:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking for a V8 SUV from Lexus