GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Looking for a V8 SUV from Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-09, 07:51 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

4runner sits higher?? That is not true...Toyota brochure is FOS. Both have the same ground clearance at 8.3". FJ sits higher because it has stiffer front springs (a common modification for 4runner owners). The suspension design is same. The frame is same. The engines are the same...with slight tuning differences to make Lexus owners feel better...no difference in components. Transfer case is the same. Tranny is the same.

XREAS is a shock based system. KDSS is an anti-roll bar based system. Yeah, they are different, but the basic suspension is still the same...just different options.

Sequoia is a 4runner platform derivative. Again, you guys need to take a look UNDERNEATH these vehicles. The Sequoia (previous gen) is derived from the same platform as GX/4runner. There is a world of different in how the underbody/frame is designed between land Cruiser vs. 4runner/GX/Sequoia/etc.. Land Cruiser underbody is a lot cleaner than all of the above.

I agree that there are differences between GX and 4runner in terms of characteristics. However, i was answering the post above that said that LX is a re-badged Land Crusier. Well, so is the GX to 4runner. That was my point.
Old 04-13-09, 08:34 AM
malmon
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99
No, it is the body that is different...platform is the same. Body = shell. Frame/suspension = platform. The frame, suspension are all the same. Yeah, the GX has those fancy electronic shock absorber. The suspension design is the same. I am sure other countries offer other engine choices, but that is not the point. What matters most is the backbone and suspension design...in other words, the PLATFORM. And this is where the 4runner, FJ CRuiser, Prado, and GX470 are all the same. In fact, the previous gen Sequoia and Tacomas can also be considered derivatives of the this platform.
I don't think your statement about sharing the same platform is tantamount to it being rebadged is accurate. The toyota camry and highlander shares the same platform, does that mean the camry is a rebadged higlander or vice versa? A 4 door sedan and a crossover SUV, which one is rebadged?

How about the Honda Odyssey, Pilot and Acura MDX sharing the same platform. Which one is the original and which one is rebadged? Does that mean that the minivan can be a rebadged luxury SUV? Or the luxury SUV is a rebadged minivan?

I had an Isuzu Rodeo back in the mid 90's and there's another vehicle exactly like mine except it has a big H on the grill and on the steering wheel, yup, a rodeo rebadged into a Honda Passport. It is the same vehicle packaged differently. Now that is a rebadged vehicle.
Old 04-13-09, 10:20 AM
tigmd99
Racer

So, is the LX anymore of a "re-badge" vehicle than the GX?? I would say, "NO." Thus, my original comment.
Old 04-13-09, 10:39 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

As someone else already wrote, anyone who thinks a 4-runner and GX are about the same should go drive them both. IME, there is a HUGE difference in how the vehicles feel, and the overall level of refinement that comes through. I don't care that they share a lot of parts, or what they look like on paper, but it's the real-world service of the vehicle that matters to me, and in this regard the GX is in another league from the 4runner.

Re: leather, my '03 has 93K miles on it and the leather is in outstanding conditon. It's thick and tough like I'd expect in a rugged vehicle of this sort (not soft like the LS) but it isn't showing any signs of failure or anything like that, even on the seat bolsters where you slide in and out all the time...
Old 04-14-09, 08:55 AM
malmon
Intermediate

So, is the LX anymore of a "re-badge" vehicle than the GX?? I would say, "NO." Thus, my original comment.
Oh I see, by writing that just by looking underneath the vehicles, you can tell that the 4runner/prado and the GX are the same, and further implying the same thing about vehicles sharing the same platform. You are in fact referring to facts about the LX
Old 04-14-09, 09:07 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

guys... we're way off topic here. Any chance we could copy/paste this debate into a new thread?
Old 04-14-09, 09:42 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by malmon
Oh I see, by writing that just by looking underneath the vehicles, you can tell that the 4runner/prado and the GX are the same, and further implying the same thing about vehicles sharing the same platform. You are in fact referring to facts about the LX
Actually, why don't you do it? It will tell you a lot! There is a world of difference between LX and GX underneath. You can see where the crossmembers are, where the transfer case/auto tranny are, etc..

Do you think that the GX and 4runner are different in suspension design and frame?? I am not sure what you are saying above.
Old 04-14-09, 09:56 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

However, i was answering the post above that said that LX is a re-badged Land Crusier. .
Yes the LX is a rebadged Lexus. The fact that LX is really a Land Cruiser Cygnus proves the point. The USA LX470 and the worldwide Land Cruiser Cygnus is the ultimate of rebadges....that would be the definition of rebadge.

Well, so is the GX to 4runner. That was my point
Completely untrue and false. The GX shares the frame and some major components. THATS IT. Everything from the GX power telescoping steering wheel to the 4 auto up windows to the 4runners rear life hatch with power window and DELETE option of third row seats is different. There is also a mild retuning of the engine in the GX compared to the 4runner.

The GX comes with KDSS and AVS with air springs on the rear while the 4runner comes with X-REAS and air springs as an option.

Both the GX and the 4runner ride completely different.

The GX is a rebadge PRADO...althought the engines are slightly different.....
Old 04-14-09, 11:23 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Completely untrue and false. The GX shares the frame and some major components. THATS IT. Everything from the GX power telescoping steering wheel to the 4 auto up windows to the 4runners rear life hatch with power window and DELETE option of third row seats is different. There is also a mild retuning of the engine in the GX compared to the 4runner.
Those things don't make it different underneath...sorry, still a 4runner/Prado with fancy stuff.
Old 04-14-09, 03:36 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Those things don't make it different underneath...sorry, still a 4runner/Prado with fancy stuff.
What gave you that idea? Oh yeah right, the whole platform sharing thing you mentioned earlier. Based on your logic, since the toyota camry shares the same platform as the toyota highlander. The camry is actually a rebadged highlander. Brilliant.
Old 04-14-09, 05:29 PM
tigmd99
Racer

BTW, it ain't a bad thing...4runner is a hell of vehicle! ES350 is a Camry with fancy stuff...why is this hard to understand??
Old 04-14-09, 06:35 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DDLexus
guys... we're way off topic here. Any chance we could copy/paste this debate into a new thread?
Sorry about that. I believe the discussion was about Lexus V8 SUVs but was somehow sidetracked by a know-it-all type member who likes to show off his limited knowledge by discussing other SUV's.

In my opinion the GX has just right size for most parking spots while the LX is kind of wide although only by a couple of inches. I have my car for about 6 months and I have a scratch across the rear bumper (most likely from a shopping cart) and door ding on the rear passenger side door guard. I can only imagine that with a bigger vehicle, there's an even bigger chance of getting hit. So my point is if the car is an all-around-car and will be driven to malls, groceries and parks on a regular basis, its better to have the GX. If you are going to use the vehicle mainly for hauling your boat, then its better to have a bigger vehicle with wider stance like the LX.
Old 04-14-09, 06:37 PM
malmon
Intermediate

BTW, it ain't a bad thing...4runner is a hell of vehicle! ES350 is a Camry with fancy stuff...why is this hard to understand??
Its not that we don't understand, its that your logic doesn't make sense.
Old 04-14-09, 06:49 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Hmmm, you don't know me too well...i probably know more about your own ride than you do!!

Last edited by tigmd99; 04-14-09 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-14-09, 09:14 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a difference between rebadging and platform sharing. I am not sure if you know what the difference is.

A GMC Sonoma/Chevy S-10 is a rebadge
A Pontiac Tempest/Chevy Corrisca is a rebadge
A Mazda B series/Ford Ranger is a rebadge
A Oldmobile Sillouette/Pontiac Montana is a rebadge
A LX470/Toyota Land Cruiser Cygnus (notice I did not say USA spec LC) is a rebadge.

The 4runner/Prado/FJ and GX share components and platforms.....which as the industry calls it "platform sharing".

Same thing with the ES350/Camry...that is platform sharing.

The 4runner and Gx470 are sharing platform but are two different designs.

Quick Reply: Looking for a V8 SUV from Lexus