GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Looking for a V8 SUV from Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-09, 07:59 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 4 Runner and GX vehicles behave differently in my opinion. All car manufacturers share platforms and components between their products, its the only way to keep their costs down and their reliability up (hasn't worked out so well for american car makers, junk in = junk out). I'm on my second GX. My brother-in-law has a 4 Runner so I've experienced both. I'm really more interested in the differences between the two vehicles than I am the similarities. If someone has enough knowledge of the two vehicles to tell us some of the differences (except for the obvious cosmetic differences) that set them apart, I'd like to know that information. In addition to the air suspension, I would assume that the bushings in the suspension are different. Maybe softer? I also don't remember seeing the 4 Runner having the same driveshaft clunk issues as the GX, so their has to be a different setup that set's them apart in that regard as well. The air suspension may play a part in the shaft clunk. Right? Tell me the differerences that I paid an extra $15~$20k for over the 4 Runner (other than the L on the front grille)...

Last edited by JimsGX; 04-15-09 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-15-09, 09:20 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snhrph
Sorry to tell you, but you are WRONG!!! I drove both the GX and the 4Runner (actually DRIVE both since I OWN both ) and I must tell you that they are the same.

They share the same frame, transmission, engine (the V8 version), brake components, electronic and electric compenents, the list goes on...
I find it odd that your 4runner with air suspension, smaller brakes, different drag coeffient, less hp and more torque drives the sames as your GX470 which has three different settings for the adaptive variable suspension, larger brakes, higher hp ratings, higher torque (BY 17 ft lbs).....yet I was also shocked that the 4runner is rated at 14/17 mpg and the GX470 is rated at 14/18 mpg....if you can explain how these two vehicle are the same yet Toyota reports that they perform differently...it would be much appreciated.

Last edited by pagemaster; 04-15-09 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-15-09, 09:40 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimsGX
The 4 Runner and GX vehicles behave differently in my opinion. All car manufacturers share platforms and components between their products, its the only way to keep their costs down and their reliability up (hasn't worked out so well for american car makers, junk in = junk out). I'm on my second GX. My brother-in-law has a 4 Runner so I've experienced both. I'm really more interested in the differences between the two vehicles than I am the similarities. If someone has enough knowledge of the two vehicles to tell us some of the differences (except for the obvious cosmetic differences) that set them apart, I'd like to know that information. In addition to the air suspension, I would assume that the bushings in the suspension are different. Maybe softer? I also don't remember seeing the 4 Runner having the same driveshaft clunk issues as the GX, so their has to be a different setup that set's them apart in that regard as well. The air suspension may play a part in the shaft clunk. Right? Tell me the differerences that I paid an extra $15~$20k for over the 4 Runner (other than the L on the front grille)...

Your GX470 is more similar to the worldwide Toyota Land Cruiser Prado than it is to the Toyota 4runner. The GX470 is about 95% similar to the Prado...differences are (not limited) GX470 has different front fenders, hood, grill, headlights and bumper....the engine in the GX470 is exclusive to the 4runner and is not available on the Prado..there are other differences.
Old 04-16-09, 04:20 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Actually, the 4runner has the SAME driveshaft clunk as the GX. The difference is that the 4runner owners are being screwed by Toyota on this, while GX gets a TSB. see: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showth...p?threadid=975

So, yes, they are indeed very alike underneath...difference being that the GX has electronic shocks (NOT air suspension) and KDSS (optional).

Pagemaster...GX is still a re-badge of the 4runner no matter how you look at it...stop with this ignorant rant already! YOU HAVE BEEN PROVEN WRONG. No need to continue to embarrass yourself...having you done that enough in the past??? Geez.
Old 04-16-09, 06:26 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Enough already! I don't think anything has been PROVEN here other than some like to listen to themselves talk.

The OP's question has nothing to do with anyone's interpretation of vehicle rebadging. Either stick to the topic or get out. And GX Owner's don't get sucked into it. DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Forum Moderators?!?! ANYONE OUT THERE??? This post has gotten way off topic time to shut it down or take the bull by the horns.

Original Post
Originally Posted by DDLexus
Greetings,
I'm interested in the feedback from GX owners on WHAT is recommended.

I have a small boat (18 foot Bayliner bowrider) and need a good towing vehicle that is in line with my luxury needs (Lexus owner for 10yrs). My budget is around $30k and there seems to be a substantial inventory of used GX470s on the market here in the USA.

My budget allows me to look at both the GX and LX models (used). I have a small family, but like the comfort, luxury, and space available on the bigger LX. However, the gas mileage is worse and there is not too many LXs on the market.

Why did you choose the GX over the LX? Since price was probably the primary factor, consider now that used prices for both are within a few grand and this is not a factor now.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 04-16-09, 07:44 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Agreed. tigmd and pagemaster, take it to PM please, this thread is WAY off topic, has degraded to insults and is now closed.

BTW folks please use the 'report a post' button when you see a thread going off the rails and it'll get attention in pretty rapid order. Sometimes the forum moderators are away on vacation, etc and this will call my / the senior moderator team's attention to potential problems within a few hours.