GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

cracked dashboard?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-12, 10:09 PM
Walley
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn! im really scared reading thru these posts now. i just bought a fully loaded 06 gx470 last week and just yesterday i noticed a little hairline crack by the vent. i really didnt feel too concerned about it till i saw this thread with all the pictures. makes me think i need to get it fixed or patched ASAP before it gets worse. i'll post some pics tomorrow
Old 05-07-12, 06:26 PM
NinerGX
Driver School Candidate

Angry Yipes !

Originally Posted by Walley
Damn! im really scared reading thru these posts now. i just bought a fully loaded 06 gx470 last week and just yesterday i noticed a little hairline crack by the vent. i really didnt feel too concerned about it till i saw this thread with all the pictures. makes me think i need to get it fixed or patched ASAP before it gets worse. i'll post some pics tomorrow
Same thing for me! I just bought a beautiful 2004 GX470 with 70K and it also had a small crack above the passenger glove box. Some of these photos are scary. I was thinking I could put a custom dash cover over the crack but if these cracks keep coming the cover won't do the job. Has anyone else tried the Fibrenew restoration process ? (http://www.werepairleather.com/)
They are local to me so I think I will check in with them to see what they can do. I had heard rave reviews about Lexas customer service but the way some of you have been treated is sickening.

Last edited by NinerGX; 05-07-12 at 06:27 PM. Reason: correction
Old 05-07-12, 08:04 PM
Walley
Driver School Candidate

I called them today and they told me due to the proximity of the crack to the vent, they rather not touch it. they told me it probably wont get any worse and that i should keep an eye on it and that if it got worse i should consider a dash change which is not good news to me at all. i thinking of using some adhesive liquid leather/plastic solution to repair it myself. the crack is really small for now i might be able to keep it from getting worse. In the meantime, what should i do to keep the cars safe from cracks in the future? im thinking about buying a dash reflector cover to shield away the sun when i park my car out in public. also, is wiping down the dash with the armor solution to give a good shine a bad idea?
Old 05-08-12, 06:56 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I called them today and they told me due to the proximity of the crack to the vent, they rather not touch it. they told me it probably wont get any worse
Yeah, im sure the crack wont spread over time. They dont want to repair it because they want it to spread out of control so they can get sell you a new dash. Id do what you said and try some liquid leather

also, is wiping down the dash with the armor solution to give a good shine a bad idea?
I wouldnt use that stuff. Many people have complained about it drying out their dash (has alcohol in it) and making it crack, fade, discolor etc. I just use a damn rag to wipe down the dash, it works for me.
Old 05-08-12, 04:55 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

must be a hit and miss sort of thing - my truck going into the 9th year and still the dash looks like brandnew
Old 05-13-12, 02:49 PM
mstrgator
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2003 gx with 128k on it.....had hair line cracks last three years. Gave it to Dil for xmas and got dash replaced. Described issue to Lexus corporate and they went halvsies on part and labor....net cost to me was 700 bucks which I was satisfied with. Bought a new 12 rx so still a Lexus fan and I Dil loves her ride.....still a beautiful car at 10 years old. Much thanks to club Lexus for the the help. Just thought I would tell you how the story played out.

Mastergator
Old 05-19-12, 05:35 PM
cmc5dc
Driver

I can't believe this thread is still alive. I still have my GX470 and have no issues with the new dashboard to date.
Old 05-21-12, 09:20 AM
sarah42
Driver School Candidate

Default cracked dashboard

My husband took our Lexus in for service last week. He addressed the cracked dashboard with maintenance. The maintence folks took the matter to the manager and he said they would repair the dashboard if we paid the labor. After reading this forum, we accepted. I had taken the Lexus in previously and been told I would have to pay the $1100. Btw, they had extra dashboards at the service center. We were lucky.
Old 05-24-12, 03:39 AM
Skippy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sarah42
My husband took our Lexus in for service last week. He addressed the cracked dashboard with maintenance. The maintence folks took the matter to the manager and he said they would repair the dashboard if we paid the labor. After reading this forum, we accepted. I had taken the Lexus in previously and been told I would have to pay the $1100. Btw, they had extra dashboards at the service center. We were lucky.
Can you tell us the name of the dealership please?
Old 05-24-12, 04:02 AM
Skippy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cmc5dc
I can't believe this thread is still alive. I still have my GX470 and have no issues with the new dashboard to date.
Believe it. My RX has been garaged at home and at work, still got cracks.

Lexus rep says mileage is to blame -It's a real slap to the intellect.

Glad you stopped in so we could confirm that yes, this thread is still alive.
Old 05-24-12, 04:08 AM
Skippy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sarah42
I visited the Lexus service department today to show them the crack running across my dash. I have the 2004 RX330 and it does stay in the garage. They told me I had and old car and I was out of luck unless I wanted to spend $1200 just for the dash replacement. Not good. My car looks like a 2010 and runs like one too.
This is the Lexus rep for the SE's excuse. He told me the same thing. I asked him to give me that statement on Lexus letterhead. He refused.
Old 05-25-12, 12:58 PM
Jtiger1
Driver School Candidate

Default 2005 rx 330

Just came from dealership about the crack dash on my wifes rx and have to wait to hear back from the lexus rep about if they will cover cost. Fingers cross as im mad as hell it happen on her Lexus and the cracks only continue to spawn new ones.
Old 06-19-12, 09:13 AM
ES330MD05
Driver School Candidate

Default Crack on Dashboard - around air bag cover

My 2005 ES 330 developed a crack around the airbag cover on passenger side few years ago. But never bothered to fix it. It looks like this is a widespread issue with Lexus. My question is, if airbag deploys, will that airbag cover (part of dashboard) come off and hit the passenger? How do I fix it? How much would it cost?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails cracked dashboard?-dashboardcrack.gif  

Last edited by ES330MD05; 06-19-12 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-20-12, 03:44 PM
bmcdaniel7
Driver School Candidate

Default 2004 RX 330 Lexus of Mobile

Has anyone had any experience with Lexus of Mobile replacing their cracked dashboard?
Old 06-22-12, 06:28 AM
Tact
Driver

We've been living with a cracked dash just above the glovebox for about three years. It's getting longer each month and now is about 4 inches long. I didn't know there were this many owners having this problem.

Last edited by Tact; 06-24-12 at 11:01 AM.

Quick Reply: cracked dashboard?