GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

cracked dashboard?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-12, 02:03 PM
txlincoln
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have taken the offer Lexus gave me, after a lot of thought I was over reacting. I do wish it hadn't happened but it is a great vehicle and I will get it fixed in time. Looking forward to being more positive on these forums going forward.
Old 01-05-13, 08:10 AM
Predicon
Driver School Candidate

Default Emissions system air pump

Originally Posted by danmm7
Which air pump are you referring to exactly? There is a fuel pump and suspension pump/compressor. What other pump is there, under the manifold that costs $2500? Please provide details.

Is this what you're referring to:
http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/pr...76000F010.html

Thanks!
Sorry it is taking me so long to respond as I have been out of the country. Yes, that is the air pump. It is labor intensive as they have to take off the intake manifold to get at it. In my case, I was taking my family to a 2012 New Years Eve Party and the truck just lost power. I could still drive it very slow and made it home to my garage where we all piled into my older 2004 Infinity FX 35 which has higher mileage and I never had to put a cent into it, and it is has more cabin tech.
My mechanic has a 2004 GX 470 and it does not have the air pump. He told me they had to put that air pump on to meet emissions laws in the US for the 2006 model. I am pretty sure there is another thread on here devoted to the air pump issue. What happens is all the fins start to break off and fling off into the engine to get jammed into everything. My mechanic told me the new air pump he put in had a different part number so he hopes it is a re-engineered unit. Heck for $2500 you could almost pull that engine out and put in a good ole 350 chevy motor. Our GX 470 is always kept in the garage and now I am noticing the plexiglass headlight covers are getting foggy along with the running lights below. The headlight covers on my Infinity FX are crystal clear. I wouldn't mind so much except Lexus charges so much more money for an inferior product. If you buy a pre-2006 with the dash and rear shocks already replaced and just have it repainted and spruced up, it would be a good deal, because I like everything else about it.
Old 01-05-13, 04:16 PM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Predicon
My mechanic has a 2004 GX 470 and it does not have the air pump. He told me they had to put that air pump on to meet emissions laws in the US for the 2006 model. ....
I wonder if the 2005 GX470 with the newer engine has this pump. You mentioned 2006, but Lexus upgraded the engine in 2005.
Anyone know if the 2005 model has this air pump?
Old 01-07-13, 08:03 PM
volman3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by danmm7
I wonder if the 2005 GX470 with the newer engine has this pump. You mentioned 2006, but Lexus upgraded the engine in 2005.
Anyone know if the 2005 model has this air pump?
the 2005 models have the air pump issue! I replaced two valves before we figured out the air pump was shredding and clogging the valves just long enough to trip a CEL! Was about $1200 for pump if I remember correctly!
Old 02-19-13, 05:02 AM
fulflaps
Driver School Candidate

Default Cracked Dash

Well,I am having the same issue with the cracks along the vents and speaker sections of my 05 RX330 dash and also to the touch it feels sticky and the material is breaking down.
I will follow this thread and also call Lexus cust. serv.
Old 02-19-13, 12:26 PM
Pop
Driver School Candidate

Have same cracking dash, also with a 05 RX330. Initiated contact with both my dealer (Lexus of Clearwater) and Lexus corporate beginning June 2012. Both have refused to assist in any way citing the age. This together with other ongoing problems (fading of external plastic parts previously replaced, loose weatherstripping previously repaired, etc) has soured my experience with Lexus. I was influential in the purchase of many Lexus's by others over the years, but not now.
Old 02-25-13, 10:05 AM
FEDUPLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

I originally posted
Originally Posted by FEDUPLEXUS View Post
I have read this thread for 2 hrs because i am having cracking problems with my 2004 RX330 dash. I just came from LEXUS OF ORLANDO, Winter Park location and let me tell you they are well aware of the PROBLEM. They have a "TEST" / list of QUALIFYING questions to ask you to see if they are going to help with the repair.

1. Are you the original owner? ..and why does it matter when the car is 8 yrs old and has 59,000 miles on it. The dash should not crack. My Dad was the original owner. STRIKE 1 on me
2. Do I have ALL maintenance performed by a LEXUS dealer? ...why should this matter. NO, I do not want to pay $45.00 for oil changes.
3. D i OWN 2 or more Lexus vehicles?..why should this matter? Quick answer...I am GLAD i do not OWN 2 2004 RX330's...I would have to pay for 2 X $1500 dash replacements.

I have also owned a 2004 TOYOTA CAMRY til recently and did not have dash problems with it. If they do not help with the replacement LEXUS / TOYOTA will fall next to HP on my family DO NOT BUY list.

I will have update next week...Wish me luck!!
2/25/13 Update. Nothing new. Lexus and Lexus of Orlando refused help of any sort just as they have with Moon Roof issue. Just purchased a VERY BEAUTIFUL NEW LINCOLN MKX. NO MORE LEXUS CRAP FOR ME!! Best way to teach them is to NOT BUY THEIR PRODUCT, INCLUDING TOYOTA!!
Old 02-28-13, 08:25 AM
sprocket
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Feduplexus - do post back with your results. I live in the same area and would answer the questions the same way you did.
Old 02-28-13, 05:33 PM
GENEGX470
Driver School Candidate

Default Cracks in dash board.

I have been the original owner of a 2004 gx470 with 88k miles on it keeping it in a garage and if parked outside,always using the sunshield custom fitted for this model. I noticed numerous cracks developing on the dash a few months ago and finally researched it to see if I was the only person who had these problems. I found out that this is a typical problem for 2003-2007 and called the corporate Lexus customer service. They were very professional and set up an appointment the next day at my local dealer for an inspection. I arrived at the appointment time of 10am and was taken care from my service advisor (Patrick Heins) in less than 20 minutes and would follow up the following day with a resolution. My car in now at the dealership with a new dashboard being installed with Lexus paying for the part($1100.00) and charging me $320.00 labor. As always they give me a new loaner car at no charge for the duration of the repairs. Lexus has the best service I have ever experienced and will be a dedicated customer for life.
Thanks again Patrick for the best service advisor I have ever had!
Old 03-12-13, 06:56 AM
FEDUPLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GENEGX470
I have been the original owner of a 2004 gx470 with 88k miles on it keeping it in a garage and if parked outside,always using the sunshield custom fitted for this model. I noticed numerous cracks developing on the dash a few months ago and finally researched it to see if I was the only person who had these problems. I found out that this is a typical problem for 2003-2007 and called the corporate Lexus customer service. They were very professional and set up an appointment the next day at my local dealer for an inspection. I arrived at the appointment time of 10am and was taken care from my service advisor (Patrick Heins) in less than 20 minutes and would follow up the following day with a resolution. My car in now at the dealership with a new dashboard being installed with Lexus paying for the part($1100.00) and charging me $320.00 labor. As always they give me a new loaner car at no charge for the duration of the repairs. Lexus has the best service I have ever experienced and will be a dedicated customer for life.
Thanks again Patrick for the best service advisor I have ever had!
I wish i lived near you. I own a '04 RX330 with 64k original miles in Orlando, Fl but our only Lexus dealer, Lexus of Orlando, will not pay for any of it.
Old 03-12-13, 06:58 AM
FEDUPLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sprocket
Feduplexus - do post back with your results. I live in the same area and would answer the questions the same way you did.
******************************** I own a '04 RX330 with 64k original miles in Orlando, Fl but our only Lexus dealer, Lexus of Orlando, will not pay for any of it.
Old 03-12-13, 07:03 AM
FEDUPLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Pop
Have same cracking dash, also with a 05 RX330. Initiated contact with both my dealer (Lexus of Clearwater) and Lexus corporate beginning June 2012. Both have refused to assist in any way citing the age. This together with other ongoing problems (fading of external plastic parts previously replaced, loose weatherstripping previously repaired, etc) has soured my experience with Lexus. I was influential in the purchase of many Lexus's by others over the years, but not now.
***********************************************************************************************************
Me too POP...read on...in reply to cdew002, our only chance of owning another Lexus, is if Lexus of Orlando calls and says they will cover the TOTAL repair. I have messed with this long enough and they have had 2 chances to correct this. Our NEW MKX is great. My wife and i will swap cars in a few months, to keep miles even, and the magnetic door signs will go on saying "Ask me about Lexus dashes cracking". My wife car pools alot and 8 friends have bought new vehicles since our dash problems began in 2009.
3 purchased Infinity, 2 BMW, 2 Cadillac and 1 MKX like ours. 3 traded Lexus (before the dashes cracked). I would have traded but i could not get FMV with the CRACKED DASH, so i will be driving it as advertisement on why NOT to buy a Lexus.
Old 03-13-13, 06:04 PM
Gidovs
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My RX 330 dash started cracking last summer, and new cracks are developing in different places, I contacted Lexus customer service and they advised me to take it into dealer for inspection (Sewell of Fort Worth, TX) they kept car for a few days. Dealer called me a day later letting me know a new dash put in would cost $2400 (Dash=$1600, Labor=$800), I called Lexus customer service they passed the issue on to a claim manager, she called me a few days later letting me know they would not be helping me with this problem ....not happy....and I don't really want to waste money on getting a leather shop repair it because it seems pointless to repair these cracks if new cracks show up right beside the repaired ones, oh well....I guess ill end up purchasing a suede dash mat or something.
Old 03-18-13, 04:44 AM
volman3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FEDUPLEXUS
I originally posted
Originally Posted by FEDUPLEXUS View Post
I have read this thread for 2 hrs because i am having cracking problems with my 2004 RX330 dash. I just came from LEXUS OF ORLANDO, Winter Park location and let me tell you they are well aware of the PROBLEM. They have a "TEST" / list of QUALIFYING questions to ask you to see if they are going to help with the repair.

1. Are you the original owner? ..and why does it matter when the car is 8 yrs old and has 59,000 miles on it. The dash should not crack. My Dad was the original owner. STRIKE 1 on me
2. Do I have ALL maintenance performed by a LEXUS dealer? ...why should this matter. NO, I do not want to pay $45.00 for oil changes.
3. D i OWN 2 or more Lexus vehicles?..why should this matter? Quick answer...I am GLAD i do not OWN 2 2004 RX330's...I would have to pay for 2 X $1500 dash replacements.

I have also owned a 2004 TOYOTA CAMRY til recently and did not have dash problems with it. If they do not help with the replacement LEXUS / TOYOTA will fall next to HP on my family DO NOT BUY list.

I will have update next week...Wish me luck!!
2/25/13 Update. Nothing new. Lexus and Lexus of Orlando refused help of any sort just as they have with Moon Roof issue. Just purchased a VERY BEAUTIFUL NEW LINCOLN MKX. NO MORE LEXUS CRAP FOR ME!! Best way to teach them is to NOT BUY THEIR PRODUCT, INCLUDING TOYOTA!!
I understand your complaints totally! We struggled with the decision weather to fix or trade ours! We finally fixed ours at about 80k miles! The new one looks perfect as it should. We really like the 05 470 but get the fever from time to time and have thought of trading but have found nothing we like better for the money! We feel like we have worked thru the major issues as the vehicle now has about 130k! We just took it to Florida on spring-break(we live in Tn.) and drove 80 mph the entire way smooth, quiet, comfortable and safe!
I am curious what you will think of your MKX after 8 years of ownership! I bet it won't stay around that long!
Old 03-22-13, 05:56 PM
maylh
Driver School Candidate

Default My RX330 Dashboard Cracked, Badly

2005 RX330 with 68000 miles. The car has been garaged at home and at work. The crack showed up since two years ago and it became much worse now. Called Lexus a year ago and was offered 50% discount based on total repair estimate of around $1800. I didn't proceed. But now I am seriously considering to repair it due to the worsen condition. But the repair cost is $2300 now which means $1150 out-of-pocket expense for me.

Quick Reply: cracked dashboard?