GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

cracked dashboard?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-13, 09:35 AM
eburggx470
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2004 with no cracks yet in the dash. Not kept in a garage and I dont' use a sunshade. I wipe it down with a water dampened paper towel but no Armor All or other chemicals. Guess I'm just lucky but I will keep an eye on it. Have had great success with it so far.
Old 03-24-13, 10:29 AM
acuratechv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexie03
My husband and I were proud owners of two Lexus cars until recently. I have a huge crack down my dashboard and went to my local dealership where they told me to contact corporate because this was a default in the dashboard. I have made many calls to out "local rep." who has never returned a call. I spoke with a "customer (no) service" rep who told me that they would NOT replace my dash because I have never gotten my car serviced at the dealership. Are you KIDDING me? I didn't say I had a cracked engine... I have a cracked dashboard. I plan on making a few more calls to Lexus and then I'm taking it to court.
Pictures attached.

VERY Disappointed!
interesting, that dashboard texture and overall design is very similar to that of an FX 35, who just so happens has a very similar cracking problem. Just this year Infiniti has extended FX dash Warranty to eight years unlimited miles perhaps we can have similar done it enough complaints are filed

I wonder if it's the same manufacturer making dashes for Lexus and Infiniti

Last edited by acuratechv; 03-24-13 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-25-13, 07:47 AM
NinerGX
Driver School Candidate

Default Goodbye dashboard headaches...

Ok... this is it...the last post post I will read or write on this problem of Lexus cracked dashes.

Lexus for the most part has proven that it does not care about being responsible for an obvious problem throughout their fleet. A class action lawsuit would be more appropriate than hearing all the frustrations we all have heard here. My 2004 GX470 has the cracking and I was not willing to spend a dime on something that they should rightfully taken care of. The cracking I have is above the glove box and my fix was a "coach" like dash cover that hides it all and actually fits well. I do like the look of the bare dash better but staring at those cracks or dealing with the dealer makes this dash cover look great. I hope some of you will Google Lexus dash covers and ease this frustration. I know many of yours is much worse and can't be covered.

I have not had many other problems with my GX470. I decided I did not need to know when my tires are low on pressure as that's easy to check. When the tire pressure light would not go off I knew I had a sensor problem so I found the fix to disconnect the tire pressure light on this forum. It was very easy.
Last problem is the undersized brakes. Do I change them out to the Tundra brake fix?
Maybe? Four months on a new set of rotors up front and they are warped already. Stop and go traffic and windy hilly coastal roads toasted them pretty quickly.
Sorry to put all this on the cracked dash forum but ..hey it's my swansong..

Good luck everyone !
Old 06-05-13, 10:08 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Well,,, my GX is under siege - the crack attack has started!

I have a hairline crack above my glovebox approx 4" long. I thought perhaps I would get lucky, since I so lovingly take care of my GX and it spends most of its' life in the garage out of the sun. I have made it a point to Lexol the dash routinely in an effort to keep the plastic conditioned and protected, but to no avail.

I intend to make my case to my dealer who I have purchased two Lexus vehicles from.
Old 06-06-13, 05:40 PM
fishhuntnc
Rookie

Please let us know how it works out and what tactics you used. I too have to begin the battle with Lexus corporate and the local dealer to get some satisfaction.
Old 08-07-13, 09:27 AM
cssnms
Racer

Can we make this a perm sticky? I think this problem is significant enough to warrant being a sticky and there continues to be new cases reported as these trucks age.
Old 08-08-13, 04:21 AM
sprocket
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by cssnms
Can we make this a perm sticky? I think this problem is significant enough to warrant being a sticky and there continues to be new cases reported as these trucks age.
That sucks Chris. Mine have slowly become worse over the past couple of years. It is kept outside at night but in a garage at work during the day. I'm coming up on my 90K and may make a stink about it. The problem may be that I get it serviced at a Toyota dealer, not Lexus.
Old 08-08-13, 07:25 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by sprocket
That sucks Chris. Mine have slowly become worse over the past couple of years. It is kept outside at night but in a garage at work during the day. I'm coming up on my 90K and may make a stink about it. The problem may be that I get it serviced at a Toyota dealer, not Lexus.
Jeff - I guess it was only a matter of time before my dash came under siege. Go figure,,, I decide to hold onto the truck rather than sell it to get a Sequoia or the like and this is how I am repaid!
Old 08-08-13, 10:17 AM
neanbean
Driver School Candidate

Angry dashboard cracking and flaking

I have a 2007 Lexus RX350 that has linear cracks across air bag on passenger side.
A chunk fell to the floor and Lexus quotes $1750 to replace out of warranty.
Say a common problem but not recalled. Writing to corporate
Old 08-08-13, 12:15 PM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by neanbean
I have a 2007 Lexus RX350 that has linear cracks across air bag on passenger side.
A chunk fell to the floor and Lexus quotes $1750 to replace out of warranty.
Say a common problem but not recalled. Writing to corporate
Also write-up a complaint here - I did.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/worst_vehicles/
Old 08-09-13, 05:06 AM
sprocket
Pit Crew

We should all follow up on this. I'm at 88K and the GX really meets all my needs, towing, professionally and personally. That said, I'm very concerned about future issues such as radiator, rear suspension, etc. I use the high setting whenever I pull my boat out of the driveway to prevent scraping. Don't know whether it is better to use it or not.

A Sequoia would be a nice replacement, and the GX has held it's value well. hmmmm
Old 08-09-13, 07:59 AM
cssnms
Racer

We should all follow up on this. I'm at 88K and the GX really meets all my needs, towing, professionally and personally. That said, I'm very concerned about future issues such as radiator, rear suspension, etc. I use the high setting whenever I pull my boat out of the driveway to prevent scraping. Don't know whether it is better to use it or not.

A Sequoia would be a nice replacement, and the GX has held it's value well. hmmmm
I got the Tundra instead. Amazing truck so far.

Speaking of rear suspension I have 2 new shocks sitting in my garage right now that really need to be installed, since I think at least one is shot. The air bags/leveling suspension seems to be working fine and there are other less expensive options available other than OEM when it comes time to replace. Found these on ebay and for $300+ for two and lifetime warranty I think I would give'm a try when it comes time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LEXUS-TOYOTA-GX470-4RUNNER-REAR-LEFT-SUSPENSION-PNEUMTIC-AIR-BAG-48090-35011-/271200451195?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f24ce7a7b&vxp=mtr
Old 08-10-13, 10:49 AM
sprocket
Pit Crew

I was just cruising around on a 4Runner Forum t4r.org, and saw a recent post that Toyota was starting to cover replacement of cracked dashboards as goodwill. There weren't any details, but I'm going to look into it.
Old 08-10-13, 10:57 AM
cssnms
Racer

I was just cruising around on a 4Runner Forum t4r.org, and saw a recent post that Toyota was starting to cover replacement of cracked dashboards as goodwill. There weren't any details, but I'm going to look into it.
Wow that would be a revelation. Please keep me posted!
Old 08-10-13, 11:01 AM
sprocket
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by cssnms
Wow that would be a revelation. Please keep me posted!
You know I will. I need to get my rear brakes done soon. Plan is to use the Toyota dealer. May do it tomorrow morning since they are open. I'll ask them about it.

Here is a link to the thread on their forum. Look at the last couple of posts.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...%2A%2A%2A.html

Quick Reply: cracked dashboard?