GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

cracked dashboard?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-11, 01:02 AM
wannwodka2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota here in Australia have agreed to replace all faulty dashboard for models less than 5 years old free of charge. Model older than this are being assessed on a case by case basis however either full free supply and fitment or free supply only appears to be very common now. Those pushing hard (with legal demands or just being relentless in their complaints) are seem to be getting the part for free and fitting for about AUD$300 or less, if not all for nothing.
Old 05-02-11, 01:02 AM
wannwodka2
Driver School Candidate

See pradopoint.com for more details.
Old 05-02-11, 07:49 PM
mann777

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by diamondrb
Sounds interesting. Any way I can get a line on the source? The least expensive I've found in Hawaii is $1049.75 through another dealer at cost. As they say here, "lucky you live Hawaii."
It will be quite expensive by the time it lands at your door. I have my friends in dubai, will pass on the email address, so that you can correspond with them directly, as they are also my business partners, but the shipping option you may have to take care since it is volumatic.
I sourced since i had some shipments coming in, i clubbed my GX part together, that worked out good enough, let me know which ever is suited to you, I will be glad to help the CL members.
Old 06-13-11, 10:29 AM
sc300seeya
Driver School Candidate

Angry Cracked dashboard

Team, the best solution is to get it replaced (which I haven't). My wife's 2004 RX330 started with a hair line as well and now I have chunks of missing dashboard and hair lines all over. On top of the gauges, by the driver sides AC Vent, by the radio, is horrible. I'm including a few pictures. My Services Manager at Lexus of Pembroke Pines called the 800 Lexus customer service and they mentioned that they will pay half of the estimated replace cost of $1800. We wrote to Corporate in California and CC our local dealer and nothing changed. Our local dealer offered to give us a better deal if we trade it the RX330 and purchased a new one. I have a 95 SC300 with 239K miles and my dashboard is beautiful. My biggest disappointment from Lexus / Toyota is that I have been a loyal customer since December of 91 when I purchased my 92 Camry. I financed the Camry, my 96 LS400, 03 IS300, 04 RX330 and the best they can do is half of the total cost. IS THAT CUSTOMER LOYALTY? COME ON !!! My first query was back in 2009 then I tried again last year with the same result and answer directly from Toyota's Customer Service and Corporate. My friends and Family cannot believe Toyota / Lexus didn't take care of me. Until they do and understand the TRUE meaning of the word "LOYALTY" I will boycott their products. Since then my LOYALTY has changed to BMW. I'm a proud owner of a 2006 BMW M5 and a 2007 BMW ALPINA. I loved Lexus but they broke my TRUST.... Good luck my friends and I hope your experience will be different then mine.

God Speed.
Attached Thumbnails cracked dashboard?-photo-1.jpg   cracked dashboard?-photo-4.jpg   cracked dashboard?-photo.jpg   cracked dashboard?-photo-5.jpg  
Old 07-06-11, 04:14 PM
kb1794
Driver School Candidate

Has there been a lawsuit or any updates on this dash problem? I have about 8 cracks in the dash of my RX330 and will gladly join a class action lawsuit against lexus!

-Kevin
Old 07-08-11, 08:42 AM
Skippy
Driver School Candidate

SC330 my problem begins with Lexus of Pembroke Pines as well. They are the people who pointed out my cracked dahsboard, now, it's out of control. I normally don't give up and haven't approached Lexus in over a year about replacing but will start again now that I see you are facing EXACTLY what I'm facing.

I cannot believe Pines asked you to purcahse another Lexus! I call that ballsy. Thanks for this update, alrhough I know it's late in response, I want you to know it's appreciated. If you want to trade email, let me know.
Old 07-08-11, 08:44 AM
Skippy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kb1794
Has there been a lawsuit or any updates on this dash problem? I have about 8 cracks in the dash of my RX330 and will gladly join a class action lawsuit against lexus!

-Kevin
I don't believe so, however, I see you're in FL too and the Lexus Rep who is denying our requests is regional from what I understand. So, the net is it's the same gentleman who knows about the issue but denies replacement.

I see a God like complex with this rep and I don't like it one bit.
Old 07-11-11, 01:46 AM
kb1794
Driver School Candidate

wow, I just recently moved down to south florida about 9 mos ago. We bought the RX from pembroke pines lexus.....do you happen to know the name of the lexus rep?

thanks,
kevin
Old 07-21-11, 01:50 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Ok, it is my turn to report my 05 GX developed an inch long crack between glove box and air vent. I called Lexus 1800 and he conferenced with my local Lex dealer and then told me take the vehicle to dealer. When asked what could be done, he said something can be 'worked out'. So, today I dropped the vehicle at dealership. Waiting on the call from them. Once I hear, will update here....
Location TX, always garage kept (home/work).

Edit: Forgot to mention that my service advisor never said he hasn't heard or seen that. When I told him that most of the cracks that I have seen (online photos) tend to crack more on the passenger side, he nod his head and said he observed the same on other GXs!.

Last edited by satiger; 07-21-11 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-22-11, 08:24 AM
satiger
Instructor

Just received the call from dealership. Lexus agreed to pay for the parts ($1600) and I will have to pay for labor ($525). I have decided to take that offer and replace the dashboard. My service rep also told me that he dealt with another customer on the same issue last week and Lexus agreed to split the cost 50/50. He said Lexus makes the decision case by case based on the service history(?). I would think it would be purchase history - but again who knows......
Old 07-22-11, 06:51 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by satiger
Just received the call from dealership. Lexus agreed to pay for the parts ($1600) and I will have to pay for labor ($525). I have decided to take that offer and replace the dashboard. My service rep also told me that he dealt with another customer on the same issue last week and Lexus agreed to split the cost 50/50. He said Lexus makes the decision case by case based on the service history(?). I would think it would be purchase history - but again who knows......
Happy to heard this...but why case-by-case? All lexus owners should be treated equally...oh, you spend more getting your vehicle service by Lexus therefore Lexus will cover it?
Old 07-22-11, 08:09 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by redrocks
Happy to heard this...but why case-by-case? All lexus owners should be treated equally...oh, you spend more getting your vehicle service by Lexus therefore Lexus will cover it?
Honda is the same way. I had premature cracking and tearing in my leather seats and they covered the replacement only after checking my service records and saw I always take my car to Honda for service. The service advisor said they ate willing to go the extra mile for customers who stick with them for their overall car needs.
Old 07-23-11, 04:00 PM
satiger
Instructor

I really can't speak for service records by Lexus dearlership as I do all my maintenance at Toyota. When I spoke to Lexus 1800, he said after checking my info that I seems to have a good 'record' with the local dearlership and something can be worked out. My service advisor told me decisions by 'service records'. I don't know which one to believe. I tend to believe Lexus might check earlier records such as I long one owns it, how many purchases were made, any abuse (of the system) in the past etc. But this is purely speculative on my side. Does any one know whether Toyota service records shows up in Lexus system?.
Old 07-25-11, 11:17 AM
wlwright50
Driver School Candidate

Please let me know if there are any plans to follow through with a Class-Action suit. My wife has an '04 RX330 (Only 72 k miles) with crack all over the dash. I previously owned an '01 GS300 and now own an '04 LS430 w/ Ultra Luxury. Die hard Lexus owner, but disgusted with how this is being handled.

Also, not sure as to how valid the information is about the chemical emissions, but we have a 2 year old and a 1 year old who ride with my wife regularly. This is really disturbing.

We both have Route 66 Extended Warranty coverage. I am going to call the dealership, Lexus headquarters, and Route 66 to see what can be done for us. I will be sure to keep everyone informed. Thanks
Old 07-27-11, 12:50 PM
satiger
Instructor

Got back my GX yesterday with new dashboard minus $525 poorer!. Since mine is KDSS, it came with dark grey dashboard. I did noticed that the texture of the new dashboard is little different than the original. In my mind, I believe the original had more texture and the new one doesn't have much texture, more like a flat dashboard. It doesn't bother me - just an observation.

Just a random thought process - why doesn't a cracked dashboard considered as a safety issue?. Wouldn't a cracked dashboard interfere or cause more damage in case of a air bag deployment (especially if the crack is around air bag)???.

Quick Reply: cracked dashboard?