GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

cracked dashboard?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-11, 12:52 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by satiger
Got back my GX yesterday with new dashboard minus $525 poorer!. Since mine is KDSS, it came with dark grey dashboard. I did noticed that the texture of the new dashboard is little different than the original. In my mind, I believe the original had more texture and the new one doesn't have much texture, more like a flat dashboard. It doesn't bother me - just an observation.

Just a random thought process - why doesn't a cracked dashboard considered as a safety issue?. Wouldn't a cracked dashboard interfere or cause more damage in case of a air bag deployment (especially if the crack is around air bag)???.
Good point.
Old 08-01-11, 01:57 PM
danielvl22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300seeya
Team, the best solution is to get it replaced (which I haven't). My wife's 2004 RX330 started with a hair line as well and now I have chunks of missing dashboard and hair lines all over. On top of the gauges, by the driver sides AC Vent, by the radio, is horrible. I'm including a few pictures. My Services Manager at Lexus of Pembroke Pines called the 800 Lexus customer service and they mentioned that they will pay half of the estimated replace cost of $1800. We wrote to Corporate in California and CC our local dealer and nothing changed. Our local dealer offered to give us a better deal if we trade it the RX330 and purchased a new one. I have a 95 SC300 with 239K miles and my dashboard is beautiful. My biggest disappointment from Lexus / Toyota is that I have been a loyal customer since December of 91 when I purchased my 92 Camry. I financed the Camry, my 96 LS400, 03 IS300, 04 RX330 and the best they can do is half of the total cost. IS THAT CUSTOMER LOYALTY? COME ON !!! My first query was back in 2009 then I tried again last year with the same result and answer directly from Toyota's Customer Service and Corporate. My friends and Family cannot believe Toyota / Lexus didn't take care of me. Until they do and understand the TRUE meaning of the word "LOYALTY" I will boycott their products. Since then my LOYALTY has changed to BMW. I'm a proud owner of a 2006 BMW M5 and a 2007 BMW ALPINA. I loved Lexus but they broke my TRUST.... Good luck my friends and I hope your experience will be different then mine.

God Speed.
Hi,
Mine looks exactly like the pictures. I bought the 2003 RX330 in Guam in December 2002. No cracks. I shipped it to Hilo, HI in December 2006. No cracks. I then shipped it to Honolulu, HI in January 2010. I noticed the first crack in July 2010. It too then spread exactly like the pictures you posted. It looks horrible and I'm embarrassed. I called service departemnat at Servco Lexus Honolulu who is referring back to the dealer on Guam. My goodness....
Old 08-28-11, 07:46 AM
kristineta
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down Lexus Dashboard

Hello- WOW! Cannot believe how many others have experienced this dashboard cracking situation. Beautiful car on the outside-step inside, and how embarrassing! I will call the 800 number today, however, this is ridiculous-I have owned 3 Lexus vehicles and will NEVER purchase another. This 2004 GX has been a solid nightmare. The dashboard being the worst. I now have a continuous crack from one end to the other. Thanks for all the posts, will print them for the dealership, after they tell me they have never heard of this! haha ps....bought this vehicle at JM in Coconut Creek, now living in MI.
Old 08-29-11, 12:47 PM
diamondrb
Driver School Candidate

I have sold my 04 GX as is after getting no help from the Honolulu Lexus dealer. The 'no help' is not a big surprise as Hawaii is known for high handed car dealers due to their monopoly on the market.That is the last Lexus I will ever own. I'm also telling anyone who mentions buying a Lexus what they can expect in support from the dealer. With any luck at all I can cost Lexus a few sales.

Before I sold the car I took it to a couple vinyl repair shops to hear what they thought. They said the repair would show and a dash cover would be better. The most interesting comments were in regard to how many of the RX and GX cars they have seen with the identical problem. If there are that many problems in Honolulu, think of how many nationwide. Wow!

BTW, I bought a Mercedes GL350 through USAA and the local dealer. The best deal I have ever received on a new car in Hawaii by far. Over $6,000 off MSRP. Unheard of in Hawaii, but Fletcher is a mainland dealer. Big difference from dealing with the Servco monopoly here.

To think, all Lexus had to do was offer just a little help. But I guess if you've got 100's of these, it adds up. Better to say, 'Sucks to be you' to their customers and hope it doesn't hurt sales too much. Great way to do business.

Aloha
Old 09-07-11, 10:20 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, this is shocking. Im a member of this forum as Im an LS430 owner but was referred to this thread as Ive been considering upgrading my 4runner with a GX470 and a friend from another automotive forum I frequent sent me this thread to peruse. Im literally nauseated by this thread. It suddenly hit me why all the ads Ive been looking at lately for used GX470s never seem to have good pics of the dashes up close! What a mess and how shocking for a company like Lexus!! Ill be keeping an eye on this thread and so sorry to hear how many of you have suffered this fate.
Old 09-08-11, 06:56 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys can I ask, will this eventually afflict all GX470s from 03-05, or does it seem to be hit or miss?
Old 09-10-11, 03:00 PM
Tammy123
Driver School Candidate

I own a Lexus RX 330 2004 suv and I have a 5 inch crack on my dash. I called a repair shop and they told me that they were unable to fix it because on my airbag. My suv has been garage kept also.
Old 09-22-11, 04:56 PM
rcgunner
Driver School Candidate

Default Dashboard Nightmare

My 2004 GX started sprouting the same cracks a few months ago! I called the 800 Lexus number, and they are supposed to call me back within 5 business days. I bought this car used less than a year ago, and this is not what I was expecting from a Lexus! I'm posting pictures now to document another case, and hope to return with a decent offer for a new dashboard.
Attached Thumbnails cracked dashboard?-100_0326.jpg   cracked dashboard?-100_0323.jpg   cracked dashboard?-100_0317.jpg  
Old 09-26-11, 10:14 PM
kb1794
Driver School Candidate

Well here are some pics of mine. Lexus said they would cover the labor if I wanted to get the dash replaced. I refused, as I am not paying over $1000 to have a dash fixed on a car with less than 80000 miles!! This is my 3rd and LAST Lexus, my RX is now currently for sale. Poor quality and terrible customer service, Lexus has gone down the drain.

Old 09-26-11, 10:16 PM
kb1794
Driver School Candidate

Last edited by kb1794; 09-26-11 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-28-11, 03:05 AM
DJSPEC
Rookie

It happened to my 2008 gx470 at about 5,600 miles right above the instrument clusters. Servco Lexus Hawaii took care of it under warranty. would have cost $1,000 to fix otherwise. It seems like this issue should be a recall... of some sort. like "if it happens, its covered" kind of thing.. although i've always had good service with Servco Hawaii... and i hope the best for everyone running into this issue.
-Aloha!

Last edited by DJSPEC; 09-28-11 at 03:17 AM.
Old 11-03-11, 05:38 PM
GRAYM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cracked dash

well it finally happened.....the crack developed over the last 2 weeks right above the glove box. it started at the vent and went all the way to the wood in the center. It's a 2003 GX, garage kept and always taken care of. i have 163K on it and it runs great with no problems. i had it in to Lexus of Towson MD today and they took the picture to send to corporate. I already alerted corporate to this issue but needed the dealer to take a look at it. I asked the dealer if they see this much and of course got the reply...nooooo, but our regional manager heard of it in the south where it gets much hotter. So my question to everyone is....is this limited to the south? anyone from the northern states see this issue? I am going to do my best to get corporate to pay for this....it is poor quality and workmanship. There is no way that a $56K car's dash should crack.

any ideas on getting this paid for my lexus will be appreciated as well.

Thanks!!
Old 11-06-11, 08:58 PM
DJSPEC
Rookie

I can't speak for the 48 states, but it happened with my 2008 gx470 with only 6,000 miles, garage kept for the past 2 years.(warranty covered it)

It was in hawaii's weather with 85 degree temps, tropical humidity and relatively stable temperatures.

We should push to make it a recall kind of thing. (like, if it happens, it's covered)
Old 11-07-11, 11:13 AM
diamondrb
Driver School Candidate

I think what might work is a website dedicated to these issues. The website would contain pictures and commentaries from those who have the cracks in their Lexus vehicles. Also included would be the lame excuses from the dealers who refuse to fix the issues without discounting the cost. A good name of the website would be: "LexusCrackedDash.com or similar. The name should include the Lexus name and the word cracked. This issue will only be handled if it costs them more money than the repair.....as in lost sales. Aloha
Old 11-07-11, 12:32 PM
GRAYM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus admits!!!

Well, it's only been 2 days since I had my 03 in the shop for them to look at the dash. And guess what!!! they agreed to goodwill the part and I pay the labor....in my mind still a good deal since it looks like CRAP!!! Overall this has been a good vehicle and I want to keep it the way and keep it looking good, next stop are the wheels....the finish is cracking off the wheels! That shouldn't happen either!! So, i think that the quick turnaround here on their part shows admission that this is an inferior part.

Quick Reply: cracked dashboard?