GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Lexus of Rockville Service Dept ROCKS...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-09, 08:38 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Lexus of Rockville Service Dept ROCKS...

Well, some of you have probably read my favorable comments on Lexus of Rockville (in MD) in the past, but I must say my recent trip to the service dept was astonishing! But it certainly did not start off that way...

My wife who was VERY annoyed because she had to go back to the dealer only 3 weeks after we just paid to have the front rotors turned and for the technicians to address a screeching noise coming from the left front brake assembly which ended up requiring new pins. The issue was that the rotors were pulsing again and the dealer acknowledged what I already knew in that when they turn rotors is makes the metal thinner making them more prone to "run-out" and to really fix the problem you need to replace your rotors. So I agreed, but proceeded to ask them, "Who was going to pay for that, considering I just paid you guys $365 to turn the rotors 3 weeks ago?" Not to mention I explained to him that this whole process was not only inconvenient, but that I thought it was ridiculous that I had to replace front rotors at 40k mi. And out of all the cars I have owned, including several SUVs I have never once had to replace rotors at less than 70k mi.

Anyway, well after the SA had several discussions with the Service Director he called me back the following day (BTW, we have new RX loaner during the course of all of this) they offered to split the difference and give me credit for the $ I spent turning the rotors. Therefore it would cost an additional $340 to replace the front rotors. I thought the offer was fair and agreed.

Well, a couple of days go by and I hadn't heard from the SA, so I called and left him a message yesterday afternoon. He called me back a few hours later and relayed that my truck was ready to go. Now here's the KICKER, he said he and the Service Director spoke again and they agreed to absorb all of the cost. Needless to say, I was dumbfounded... I thanked him VERY much for their generosity.

Just thought I would share esp since I continue to read more and more posts about how this dealer or that dealer is trying screw a customer. It's nice to know in today's economy when sales and service income are down at every dealership that there are still dealers and service departments out there that will go out of their way to satisfy their customers.

Last edited by cssnms; 05-08-09 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-08-09, 08:49 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Talk about a happy ending.

It is nice to hear the dealer stepping up and making a customer feel like a 'valued customer'. This story could have gone one of two ways, your fustrated posting of feeling like you got the run-around and this actual post of support after the sale to make one feel appreciated.

I have pleasant experiences with LoR, however a few services initially were not quite as pleasant but speaking up knowledgably and respectfully resulted in a happy ending as well.

Way to go LoR!
Old 05-11-09, 12:02 PM
Vinniety
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats great to hear it turned out for the best. My question is what lexus dealership do people recommend in or near the New York area that would give good service like that????????
Old 05-11-09, 08:49 PM
Qx2Gx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good to hear, since that is where I will (or should I say my mom potentially) will be purchasing my GX from...it's right down the street from my house. Before anyone jumps to any conclusions it will most likely be a combination of my graduation/birthday present. But like I said, it's good to know that Lexus of Rockville is a good dealer to do business with.
Old 05-12-09, 05:52 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by Qx2Gx
good to hear, since that is where I will (or should I say my mom potentially) will be purchasing my GX from...it's right down the street from my house. Before anyone jumps to any conclusions it will most likely be a combination of my graduation/birthday present. But like I said, it's good to know that Lexus of Rockville is a good dealer to do business with.
When you are ready to buy, go see Seth Hamm in new car sales and tell him his favorite customer Chris w/the GX and IS sent you. He's a great guy, not your typical snaky car salesman. He will take good care of you and he doesn't care if your dad's buying it for you!

Here's the link with his contact info...

http://www.lexusofrockville.com/MeetOurDepartments
Old 05-12-09, 02:13 PM
Qx2Gx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cssnms
When you are ready to buy, go see Seth Hamm in new car sales and tell him his favorite customer Chris w/the GX and IS sent you. He's a great guy, not your typical snaky car salesman. He will take good care of you and he doesn't care if your dad's buying it for you!

Here's the link with his contact info...

http://www.lexusofrockville.com/MeetOurDepartments
Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!
Old 05-12-09, 02:29 PM
itsZep
Pole Position

"ridiculous that I had to replace front rotors at 40k mi. And out of all the cars I have owned, including several SUVs I have never once had to replace rotors at less than 70k

does your wife "ride the brakes"?
Old 05-12-09, 05:37 PM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by itsZep
[I]does your wife "ride the brakes"?
Nah, I drive it most of the time. The rotor thickness was fine. The issue is, out of the box the OEM rotors can barely handle the weight and the resulting heat generated and after they are turned and lose mass they are more prone to run out and in this case it only took 3 weeks of city driving. The only fix was to replace them. More simply put, the stock rotors are crap. As a Lexus Master Tech confirmed, they are undersized for the weight of the truck. My guess is it's a combination of things; the quality of the iron and size.
Old 05-12-09, 10:59 PM
BobsGX
Racer

I've yet to hear of any mass produced auto/pickup/suv that came with adequate brake rotors from the factory. They all are made as thin as possible for weight savings and of course the dollar savings. The fact that most of them are made with inferior Chinese iron certainly doesn't help at all.
Old 05-13-09, 03:20 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

I'm glad you had such a good experience. I had a dissimilar experience with their new car sales department and won't ever return to that dealership.