GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Automatic Transmission - Problems or questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-04, 08:31 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by brent0226
I agree; it is pretty smooth. Have you ever come to a complete stop and then barely pressed the accelerator to very slowly move through the gears? Each shift is almost imperceptible. What I don't like, however, are the abrupt downshifts when braking. I think they could have done a better job at rev-matching or something.
Agreed. In fact on slippery roads it actually has worked against me.
Old 06-24-04, 12:06 AM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GX Transmission Question?

I've just bought my new GX for a week and I notice there is no transmission dip stick. So how do I suppose to check or change the oil? Can anyone tell me? Thanks
Old 06-24-04, 01:45 PM
Traturn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from TSIB TC009-03

new ATF "WS" has been introduced on the 2004 MY GX, LS and LX vehicles.

can identify if the vehicle has "WS" ATF by:

a. ATF Dipstick/level gague is no longer installed.
b. "WS" is stamped on the refill plulg.

Fluid level inspection:
Check the fluid level by inspecting for leakage. Fluid level will remain correct if there are no leaks present at time of inspection.

Brilliant in my opinion, doing away with the obvious point to fill.... How many Toyotas have needed tranny replacement because it got a drain & fill with Dextron and not Type4? Not to mention the number of LX owners that fill up the hydraulic suspension fluid with windshield washer fluid

Checked the maintainance schedule too, it says to replace this "WS" trans fluid at 60k miles
Old 06-25-04, 08:00 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally posted by Traturn

Checked the maintainance schedule too, it says to replace this "WS" trans fluid at 60k miles
My manual states that WS is a life time fill and only needs the 60K mile fluid/filter change if you tow with your vehicle. Is this the way you are interpreting it?
Old 06-30-04, 07:55 PM
Cessna172
Driver

Default Transmission Question

Ok, have 300 miles on the new GX now and have a question on the transmission operation.

When I stop accelelarating and let my foot off the gas the RPM drops to idle for a second, then jumps back up to the proper RPM for whatever gear you are in for that speed. The odd thing is it doesn't do it everytime, just about half the time. The rest of the time the RPM just drops to where it should be for the current gear and speed.

I don't remember my 03' doing this, is this part of a new software interface, or do I have a potential issue?

Thanks
Old 07-01-04, 12:18 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I remembered reading your post yesterday so I checked my tach a few times today, when taking my foot off the accelerator. The RPMs never dropped back to idle speed at that time.
Old 07-02-04, 08:29 AM
Cessna172
Driver

Thanks for experimenting for me. I have noticed now that I am watching for it, that it does not do it above 50 MPH, it seems to do it mostly from about 30 to 50 MPH.

Last edited by Cessna172; 07-02-04 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-05-04, 06:34 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I think your tach is whacko. I would rev the engine to 2000 RPMs in neutral a few times to see if the tach drops to idle speed when you take your foot off the gas pedal before going back up or while driving, roll down your window so you can hear the sound of the engine. It's really doubtful that the engine drops down to idle and then goes back up to where it should be for normal deceleration.
Old 01-04-10, 09:41 PM
brycejaq
Driver

Lightbulb Automatic Transmission - Problems or questions

So, I'm thinking (ok, praying) that it's just the trans fluid that needs to be replaced and or flushed...but I figured I'd ask the experts on what you all thought.

I noticed when I get onto the freeway and have my foot pretty solidly on the gas it'll get up to and just over 60 just fine (including the proper shifting), but once I over than 60 MPH mark the RPM's are at nearly 2500 and the trans refuses to shift unless I completely let off the gas or sometimes let off it slightly enough for it to catch and then push it back down (but this method doesn't always work) and I usually have to revert back to the letting off the gas entirely to get it to shift.

I recently noticed it doing the same thing at a lower speed (around 40 or 45), but I'm never paying as much attention to it at those speeds since I'm usually on the side streets where I'm letting off the gas constantly enough to not get the issue then).

Anyone have any ideas?! I know I'm still under the 50k mile powertrain warranty, so if it comes to that I should probably get that checked out ASAP.
Old 01-05-10, 05:51 AM
mann777

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

I guess it should'nt be up this high on the RPM for the shift, anyway do you feel it is hard while on the shift from the P to the D. Also when was the last service you had from the dealer and what was done. Normally the transmission fluid should not effect unless you have a drop dead leak below. Check it out and have an inspection for any seepage of the Trans fluid. If it is clean, I guess the Clutch plates within the transmission required a relook, which is a major job, And the dealer is the best bet you have which is within the trans warranty. let us know you update.
Also do you sense any whining noise within the transmission on parking or on drive. keep us posted
Old 01-05-10, 08:29 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your Powertrain Warranty is for 6 years / 70,000 miles...

Powertrain Warranty
The Powertrain Warranty is for 72 months or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Except for the situations listed on the Basic Warranty page, this warranty covers repairs needed to fix defects in materials or workmanship of any component listed below:

Engine
Cylinder block and head and all internal parts, timing belt and cover, flywheel, oil pan, water pump, fuel pump, engine mounts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets

Transmission and Transaxle
Case and all internal parts, torque converter, clutch cover, mounts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets

Front-Wheel-Drive System
Driveshaft, axle, hub, bearings, seals and gaskets

Rear-Wheel Drive System
Differential carrier assembly, driveshaft, axle carrier, axle case, axle bearing, axle shaft, seals and gaskets
Old 01-05-10, 06:03 PM
HRMommyof2
Driver School Candidate

How timely ... my '04 GX is doing the exact same thing right around 60mph, too! I just had my 60K service and new tires put on before Christmas at the dealer, so it shouldn't be my trans fluid, right? Bryce, any update?!
Old 01-05-10, 09:10 PM
brycejaq
Driver

Thanks for all the info...I pretty much figured that it was going to be the worst possible thing, but hopefully my dealer will fix it the first time and not dance around it for the next 20k+ miles...(thanks for that little correction, Jim).

No, nothing new yet. Hopefully I'll be able to get into the dealer soon, but my work schedule has been nothing but non-conducive to my getting there.

As for it being hard to shift from P to D, not at all. Haven't noticed any leaking fluids at all (it's really easy to tell here since we've had perma-snow for the past month...and will continue to have snow through March, at least). Anyways, it seems to be all in the tranny (in my opinion).

I last had it in the dealer just pver a month ago for an oil change (in which they also did the 40 or 45k service?! I don't remember if there is a 45k service...long story short, no problems. I had new tires put on her the very next day, but I can't imagine my new tires making the trans not shift properly...

HRMommy, hopefully you're still under the 72 month umbrella (you must be awfully close)...if yours is still good I probably go in ASAP. Apparently I have a bit more time on my warranty, so I'm not in a super hurry, but hopefully I'll get in there this week.
Old 01-06-10, 08:20 AM
HRMommyof2
Driver School Candidate

It seems weird that both of us recently had new tires put on and then noticed this - I know it doesn't make sense that new tires would be the cause of trans probs, but it's strange, huh? *sigh* Looks like I'll head over to the dealer tonight and see what's going on ... I'm right around 64K miles, so I'm still covered. Will post an update.
Old 11-27-10, 07:41 PM
Playtobias
Driver School Candidate

Default Transmission shuddering 05 GX470

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum, and wondered if anyone has experienced transmission shuddering. While lightly driving, I feel a shudder at approx 35 mph, then again at 45 mph. I took it to the local Lexus dealer to have them analyze. Would you believe I could not get it to shudder when the mechanic went for a ride-along. Lexus customer service has always impressed me, I just wish I could have replicated this issue. Meanwhile, I'll just wait until the problem gets worse then bring it back in.

The mechanic mentioned Lexus had problems with the LX a few years back with transmission shuddering, but not with the GX. Just wondered if anyone has heard of this problem???

Thanks

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission - Problems or questions