GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Deep snow?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-10, 08:28 AM
VictorGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deep snow?

I have about 18" of unplowed snow in the lane that my driveway connects to. I have shoveled my driveway, but the lane is untouched. Does anyone know if the GX can handle 18" of snow?
Old 02-06-10, 08:39 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That would depend on the consistency of the snow. If it's light and powdery, no problem whatsoever, if its really wet and heavy, you could possibly get hung up. Either way, it will be fun trying!
Old 02-06-10, 09:05 AM
mann777

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Wow ! 18 inches..... Hope your snowblowers is ready for a workout !!
I had a friend in DC last December committed 2 hours of shovelling and yet could not yet clear the drive way. DC was total shutdown -19"inch .
The only caution you need to take is if they are flaky, you can drive thru, otherwise if it is crusty & hard packed overnite, it could be risky.
Old 02-06-10, 01:19 PM
3kTT
Driver School Candidate

With the height adjustable suspension the GX can really handle the deep snow well. I got high centered earlier this year and raised the vehicle to clear the snow. Also make sure you lock the center diff.
I figured if I really got stuck in some deep snow I would drop the rear and then raise it to the highest point to create clearance.
Old 02-06-10, 05:16 PM
VictorGX
Driver School Candidate

I tackled the road this afternoon and the GX was a BEAST in the snow! The road I had to drive up had over 18" of fresh snow and had a fairly steep incline -- the GX tackled it with no problems. I used the low gear range and locked the diff, and it performed superbly. My neighbors were in awe.

3kTT -- that was a good idea about raising the suspension. I forgot to do that. I did do a fair amount of "plowing" snow in front of the bumper as I climbed the drive. Raising the suspension would have helped.
Old 02-06-10, 05:21 PM
VictorGX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VictorGX
I tackled the road this afternoon and the GX was a BEAST in the snow! The road I had to drive up had over 18" of fresh snow and had a fairly steep incline -- the GX tackled it with no problems. I used the low gear range and locked the diff, and it performed superbly. My neighbors were in awe.

3kTT -- that was a good idea about raising the suspension. I forgot to do that. I did do a fair amount of "plowing" snow in front of the bumper as I climbed the drive. Raising the suspension would have helped.
Attached is a picture of my neighborhood to give you guys an idea of the amount of snow that the GX conquered.
Attached Thumbnails Deep snow?-snow.jpg  
Old 02-07-10, 07:10 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That should melt in a day or two. Just kidding.

I'm very impressed that you dominated such deep snow! Nice job.
Old 02-07-10, 07:23 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VictorGX

^^^^1, great story, glad your neighbors were impressed with the performance of your Lexus. Keep up the great work
Old 02-07-10, 11:06 AM
mr2fast
Driver

end of the first page from the last time it snowed here in Va:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...new-owner.html

I was out playing around in it yesteday and I did get the GX stuck in a 35" drift
foturnately I was with a friend in his wrangler and we tow had cables.
Old 02-13-10, 08:26 AM
Tipler
Pit Crew

so when deep snow an want to go through all you do is change the high of the gx 470? or am I wrong, /
and how do you lock the diff?
2004 GX 470 , now that I'm in snow country Northern Wisconsin / UP area .. it's a new ball game for me and the GX 470

Last edited by Tipler; 02-13-10 at 08:27 AM. Reason: more info
Old 02-13-10, 09:13 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Tipler
so when deep snow an want to go through all you do is change the high of the gx 470? or am I wrong, /
and how do you lock the diff?
2004 GX 470 , now that I'm in snow country Northern Wisconsin / UP area .. it's a new ball game for me and the GX 470
The "high" setting is only good for the rear and it will automatically reset itself to "normal" at around 15 mph (i think that's it). It's a good setting to gain some traction if your hung up in some deep snow, as I found out this past snow storm - 35".

You lock the diff by hitting that button on your console that shows the axles and 4 wheels. It will also automatically turn off the traction control. Remember, your GX is all time 4 wheel drive, so I have found it's really only necessary to lock the diff if you're in some real deep stuff and you need that power/traction at all 4 wheels. Otherwise, I found the GX a very cable truck in "drive" in most conditions which includes cruising sandy beaches.
Old 02-15-10, 09:10 AM
Tipler
Pit Crew

was in 12 inches of snow today and the GX went through the snow without a problem , never even moved the height control or diff.

thanks