GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

'04 gx470 random heights

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-10, 06:39 PM
helloclint
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 gx470 random heights

The best riding vehicle I ever had turned into a monster this past summer and it is a pain for me to fix. I live a 6 hour ferry ride and 2 hour drive to a Toyota dealership, or a 6 hour ferry and 1k drive to a lexus dealership.
I am driving to a lexus for a 'holiday' next week ( toyota service was clueless and useless - what a wasted trip..of course it worked then) I live in the Pacific NW and thought the lexus would be reliable, so didn't panic about servicing.

Please help so I get them to fix it!

Random heights while driving. Starts low, creeps up - crazy jacked up after a 15 min drive, so super stiff drive. Light on sensor flashes OFF repeatedly. Park vehicle and it hisses. Drive it an hour later and it is 'bottomed' out - another horrible ride. Slowly rises - light flashing. Great ride for a bit, then super high again. Very random the up and down. Useless on any bumps as a result.Sometimes it stays low for days, sometimes high for days.

What pieces should I ensure they (have to go to Victoria BC) replace/service? Is this any way related to a TSB?

Read on the forum to have the exhaust height solenoid valve replace. Any other suggestions? Is this problem common on 04's or did I just get lucky.
Appreciate any pointers so my 'holiday' is well spent.
Old 03-23-10, 07:11 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by helloclint
The best riding vehicle I ever had turned into a monster this past summer and it is a pain for me to fix. I live a 6 hour ferry ride and 2 hour drive to a Toyota dealership, or a 6 hour ferry and 1k drive to a lexus dealership.
I am driving to a lexus for a 'holiday' next week ( toyota service was clueless and useless - what a wasted trip..of course it worked then) I live in the Pacific NW and thought the lexus would be reliable, so didn't panic about servicing.

Please help so I get them to fix it!

Random heights while driving. Starts low, creeps up - crazy jacked up after a 15 min drive, so super stiff drive. Light on sensor flashes OFF repeatedly. Park vehicle and it hisses. Drive it an hour later and it is 'bottomed' out - another horrible ride. Slowly rises - light flashing. Great ride for a bit, then super high again. Very random the up and down. Useless on any bumps as a result.Sometimes it stays low for days, sometimes high for days.

What pieces should I ensure they (have to go to Victoria BC) replace/service? Is this any way related to a TSB?

Read on the forum to have the exhaust height solenoid valve replace. Any other suggestions? Is this problem common on 04's or did I just get lucky.
Appreciate any pointers so my 'holiday' is well spent.
Sounds like you may have a leak in the air shocks. The system is filling to try to compensate than shutting off. Just a guess.
Old 03-24-10, 08:54 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have either leak of sensors problem. Sensors are around $450 from ebay (pair) and les then 1 hour of labor.
Old 03-24-10, 09:06 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully Mann777 chimes in. He is a guru.