GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Beach driving=OBX

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-10, 09:48 PM
TGRaboo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had a great time on Core Banks right below Ocracoke. After letting the tire pressure out to ten lbs, the GX floated on the soft sand like a champ. The secret is to let the air pressure out to such an extent that the sidewalls look like a flat tire. The center of the tire then becomes a little concave which traps the sand and driving on the soft sand is easy and secure. I had the rod and cooler rack on the front and the tray on the back w/ 3 coolers. Five guys in and out of the vehicle fishing w/ the back filled with gear and five chairs and a sun canopy strapped on top. Lots of weight but the V-8 pulled it without any hesitation or strain. Can't wait to go back.
Rob
Chas., SC
Old 07-21-10, 02:10 PM
cobra2top
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like fun! Any issue with the TMS? Did the light just flash on the dash or just stay on?

Would love to see that rod rack on the front if you have any pictures. Where did you get it?
Old 07-21-10, 07:59 PM
TGRaboo
Driver School Candidate

The low tire light stayed on but no system inhibited normal driving. I will post some pictures of just the front trailer hitch that is barely visible and a picture of the fron rod and cooler rack.
I got the rod rack from Anglers Fish-N-Mate. type that into the web and you will go right to them. The front hitch was right at about $200 and the rod rack was about $350.
Old 07-26-10, 07:33 PM
TGRaboo
Driver School Candidate

Here are some pictures of the GX with the front rod rack (unloaded), the front rack (loaded with rods and cooler) and the tray on the back with coolers, ready to head to Core Banks, NC for a week of surf fishing.
The front trailer hitch is barely visible when the rack is off and other people I've asked didn't even notice it until it was pointed out.
Attached Thumbnails Beach driving=OBX-125.jpg   Beach driving=OBX-130.jpg   Beach driving=OBX-129.jpg  
Old 07-26-10, 08:45 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TGRaboo
Here are some pictures of the GX with the front rod rack (unloaded), the front rack (loaded with rods and cooler) and the tray on the back with coolers, ready to head to Core Banks, NC for a week of surf fishing.
The front trailer hitch is barely visible when the rack is off and other people I've asked didn't even notice it until it was pointed out.
OK, I am officially jealous. Look at that gear! Plus I'm sure you had a great time.
Old 07-27-10, 08:09 PM
TGRaboo
Driver School Candidate

LOL, what the picture doesn't show are the cases of Corona beer and the tupperware container full of limes. Five guys that have gotten together for 29 years for a summer fish trip. There was plenty of food, plenty of beer, a few fish, and no end to the stories.
The GX handled the weight extremely well and felt very solid. Of course, there are no hills other than the occasional high bridge but it pulled strong and rode solidly. I'm hoping to take another trip to the Outer Banks this Fall when the big drum are running. Chow
Old 11-06-10, 07:42 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Okay I know these are a bit late, but I just got around to downloading the pics from my camera. From our annual trip to Ocracoke. I feel warmer already.

Old 11-21-10, 09:43 PM
TGRaboo
Driver School Candidate

Very nice.
the lower Outer Banks are just magnificent.
Rob

Chas., SC
Old 11-22-10, 09:40 AM
vs1979
Rookie

The best color ever!!!!!!!!! I have the same color
Old 06-24-22, 06:39 AM
cobra2top
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobra2top
From Duck, it is about 40 minutes to the 4x4 beach area. Then to Swan it is around 10 minutes up the beach.

We stayed up in Corolla Light. Great area with more of a resort feel then the other areas in OBX. They sponsor alot of activities throughout the week to keep the kids happy/busy. Also they have wait staff for both the pools and beach. Nice.

As for taking the GX on the sand, ended up wimping out, not because it could not make it, only because for $169 we ended up renting 09 Jeeps with a guided tour. We followed a guide who took us to all of the "spots" to see up there, including finding the wild horses. It worked out better as we beat up their vehicles and I did not have to worry about tearing our GX up 7 hours from home. No Lexus dealers in OBX if something did break!!

As we were driving the beach it did get pretty soft and deep in some areas where the jeep bottomed out. Funny because at alot of those deeper areas had these little black "strips" sitting off to the side. After further review, they were the little black front spoilers on trucks! We counted atleast 10 of them all over the beach.

We did see 3 GX's on the beach. One was driving way over the speed limit of 20 mph. He blew by us and it looked like he was having zero issues but was beating the crap out of it. It was bouncing all over the place. Another passed us going a little slower but he passed at the one area the sand was hard. So I did not get to see him navigate through the softer sand. The third was parked at a house and he had it's supension in the high position.

If you head up to 4x4 beach, good luck. Definitely take your tire pressure to 20 psi and you should have no issues. Just be prepared for some pretty deep sand in spots.

WE DID IT!! 12 years later we took the GX on 4x4 beach!! Kids are now both teens and driving the GX which in itself is kind of wild. Over the years when the time came to sell the GX for something newer, we just could not pull the trigger. Kids were nearing driving age so decided to keep it for them and it’s been great (of course). Now they are driving the GX they once were in car seats!!! She now has 187k and really has been the best vehicle we ever purchased.

On the beach it was absolutely flawless and the sand was very soft. Aired down to 20 psi and (yes Ken from 2010, the tire light came on but no “limp home mode”. Lol. What was I thinking???). We cruised around the back “roads” looking for horses and came up short. Followed a tour Hummer hoping to see if they could find them but high tide was approaching and a few spots on the beach were getting tight. So we headed out and again, flawless. Aired back up and went back at the house washed the heck out of the bottom to get any sand off and drove it to dinner. Again, zero issues. If I can talk to Ken in 2010, I’d tell him to go for it and save the $169 on the Jeep!! (Today it’s $250)

And why did I bring this thread back from the dead? Sitting waiting for our Duck Donuts (45min) at the original store, I searched up OBX beach driving and this old thread I replied to popped up!! I started reading it and saw I was reading my post from 12 years ago!! So here I am writing a follow up to share the GX finally had its fun on the beach!!

Here is a pic on the back roads. Note kids plastidiped the rims and most chrome and we added A/T tires to loose some of the “mom look” since it was moms daily driver for years. We were going to leave the GX rest at home but the last time we were in OBX was in 2010 when she was the work horse. We decided to bring the old girl to stretch her legs and let her finally play on the beach! 😂

Last edited by cobra2top; 06-24-22 at 06:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cobra2top:
jds4u2 (06-24-22), kamlung (06-28-22)