GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Buying TIRES!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-10, 07:46 AM
rbx10
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buying TIRES!!!

Well is that time for my tires to be changed. And I don't really like shelling some duckets right now. I compare purchasing from Costco and Tirerack and so far Costco seems to be more advantageous than Tirerack.

Anybody had different experience ? What do you fellas think

Thanks
rbx10
GX470-2008 Pearly White
Old 08-15-10, 08:29 AM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Discount Tire

I am in Washington and do not know if Discount Tire is in your area. Here in the NW there are many Discount Tires. I have bought all my tires from them, except on TireRack snow tire mail order, and there service is super. If you have them consider them also. I also think you should buy the Cross Terrains.
Old 08-15-10, 08:59 AM
cobra2top
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tirerack in my experience is cheaper but you have to figure out the whole install thing. I used them years ago and the tires once were sent to my house and I had to find a installer. Trying to haul 4 tires in a convertible mustang was tough. Top down in the winter with the tires on a ton of blankets in the back seat. Had to be a scene for those around me.

The next Tirerack time I used one of their prefered installers and the tires were sent to their place and they called when they arrived. Better set up but I always was tracking the order. What if they did not call? What if the tires were stolen from the installer by a employee? What are my options for resolution?

In the end, for my last tire purchase I went to Firestone. After researching the cost of Tirerack, Costco, and a tire store, they were all close enough in price and the tire store had a better replacement warranty. Also I was looking for a particular brand and the tire store had more options. Lastly, it took only a hour of my time to get them installed and I had them toss in a oil change for free.

Good luck!
Old 08-15-10, 12:29 PM
rbx10
Driver

Cobra/Aljo Thanks for your response guys. I think I'm gonna go straight to Costco. They give free rotation and warranty service is great. I just have to wait like 1/2 of the day for them to get installed

He Aljo,
Do you think Cross Terrains are better than Michelin. Michelin is what I currently have on the car. I'm looking for All-season tires ?

Last time Costco quote me was about $860 installed approximately for Michelin.

Rbx10
Old 08-15-10, 01:05 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rbx10
Cobra/Aljo Thanks for your response guys. I think I'm gonna go straight to Costco. They give free rotation and warranty service is great. I just have to wait like 1/2 of the day for them to get installed

He Aljo,
Do you think Cross Terrains are better than Michelin. Michelin is what I currently have on the car. I'm looking for All-season tires ?

Rbx10
rbx10,

Do you do any research yourself? Cross Terrains ARE Michelins.
Old 08-15-10, 02:42 PM
schouse13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rbx10

He Aljo,

Rbx10
Might want to look at the Michelin Latitude Tours in addition to the Cross Terrians. Lots of discussions/comparisons on this board regarding the two, just use the search option.
Old 08-15-10, 02:49 PM
rbx10
Driver

Originally Posted by redrocks
rbx10,

Do you do any research yourself? Cross Terrains ARE Michelins.

Very funny Redrock. comparing Costco and Tirerack = Research right... I've used Michelin in my Acura before. I just forgot about the different tire models..
Good catch Red.
Old 08-24-10, 08:49 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, which tires did you end up getting?