GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Long, inconsistent, crank

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-10, 08:01 PM
T4RBoarder
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long, inconsistent, crank

Looking at buying an '04, 112k miles. Previous service record to go with the car. Problem is that the place that is selling it said it had a starting problem so they replaced the fuel pump (didn't tell me this before I drove 200 miles) but the car still has a problem. When sitting for more than a few minutes the car will crank for what seems like forever (10 sec or sometimes the one touch start times out) but then start and runs fine. If you instantly start it back up it's fine as well.

I initially thought immobilizer but if that was the case i think it'd be consistent, then I thought the fuel system could be losing pressure but would something happen that fast?

What do you guy think? I passed on the car due to the dealer not thinking it is a problem cause it eventually starts but it is still bugging me.
Old 09-02-10, 12:21 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

As you have mentioned the symptom, it is exactly the behavior of the Engine Im-mobiliser Symptom. It would be better if you could go to the nearest Autozone and get the DTC error codes out, that way you would know the exact symptom. Normally such area points to the Software on the ECM which has got corrupted and you need to re-flash the software again completely on the ECM. This is done by the dealer , but still I reckon if you could throw the codes out and let us know, it would be better.
Old 09-02-10, 04:02 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good thing you passed on the truck. If the dealer can't figure how to fix it, then they aren't worth buying from!
Old 09-02-10, 11:39 AM
T4RBoarder
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mann777
As you have mentioned the symptom, it is exactly the behavior of the Engine Im-mobiliser Symptom. It would be better if you could go to the nearest Autozone and get the DTC error codes out, that way you would know the exact symptom. Normally such area points to the Software on the ECM which has got corrupted and you need to re-flash the software again completely on the ECM. This is done by the dealer , but still I reckon if you could throw the codes out and let us know, it would be better.
Can an immobilizer problem really change from start to start since after sitting it takes a long time vs immediate restart it is fine?

As far as codes there is no CEL and since it happens at start up then is fine I doubt anything is stored but I could be wrong...

Good thing you passed on the truck. If the dealer can't figure how to fix it, then they aren't worth buying from!
Yeah, it's a shame cause the truck was beautiful otherwise and had a full service history plus was a great price, too bad they are lame.
Old 09-02-10, 03:45 PM
T4RBoarder
Driver School Candidate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdcPh...eature=related

Cranks just like this except for being a V8, cranks longer, and doesn't struggle to stay running