GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX 470 Purchase advise?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-10, 02:17 PM
grda
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX 470 Purchase advise?

I'm looking at a GX 470 with 65k miles with pretty much all options ML sound, NAvi, DVD, 3rd row seat for between 24k-25k. Does this sound like a good deal?

Also there is a 2004 with 59K miles for about 22K with Navi but no DVD, no ML. Trying to pull trigger on one but wanted to get an idea if this is worth it.

Both are 1 owner, look to be clean cars. 2005 is from a private seller and the other is from a dealer.
Old 11-08-10, 02:29 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Sound like more than a fair deal on both. I would not sell my '05 w/61k mi for $25k and I don't have Nav, ML or DVD.

Given the price disperity, assuming all else is equal (condition, maint records, etc) personally I would opt for the lower mileage GX even though the 2004 is technically rated to have less HP. 2005 Lexus came out with the VVTI engine. Performance wise they are both just about the same though (0-60, tow capacity, lots of torque, etc). Is the 2004 CPO? Get the VIN # and call a Lexus service center to check service history, at least on the dealer car assuming the original owner has all of his receipts.

FWIW, I would skip the ceiling mounted DVD, you can buy a better after market system built-in to the headrests or ceiling mounted and still save money. I also could live without the ML, it's fine but not worth the $2k to $3k more IMO. I chose not to get it and I am otherwise happy with my system. Then again if down the road you find you want a better stereo you can always add an amp and upgrade your speakers and still save money.

Last edited by cssnms; 11-08-10 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-08-10, 04:23 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by grda
I'm looking at a GX 470 with 65k miles with pretty much all options ML sound, NAvi, DVD, 3rd row seat for between 24k-25k. Does this sound like a good deal?

Also there is a 2004 with 59K miles for about 22K with Navi but no DVD, no ML. Trying to pull trigger on one but wanted to get an idea if this is worth it.

Both are 1 owner, look to be clean cars. 2005 is from a private seller and the other is from a dealer.
Welcome, I'm not sure you can get the GX with Nav and not have ML. I believe its a package NAV/ML. Its true about the ceiling mounted DVD, the factory DVD is prone to problems and there are plenty on the market for $500 installed that are better IMO. The 04 seems like the better deal IMO, assuming the dealer is reputible. Very good price. Check the options though and see what the build date on the 04 with Navi is. early 04 NO rear camera, where as late 04 has rear camera. Its the little things. Get a list from Lexus of repairs, TBS, and recalls done. Good luck, Its a great truck.
Old 11-10-10, 11:31 AM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Buying Tips

I don't think you mentioned the year of GX #1. I spent two months looking for an 05, and pulled the trigger in late October. So I think I am "abreast of the market." If it's an 05, I would say good deal. The 04 without the options, perhaps it could be found cheaper. Of course the CPO factor as mentioned by other members is of significant value, but be careful. It must come under CPO status from a Lexus dealer. Many private parties have mistakenly implied the remaining CPO warranty is transferrable; I don't think that is ever the case (someone correct me if I'm wrong!). Also, I think another poster was correct, in that ML sound is married to Navigation. Here's why I think the NAV/ML and Rear Seat Entertainment are cool: 1) the ML system can be surpassed if you are an audiophile and/or get good, honest sales advice. But it will cost too, and let's face it, the ML is very good for a factory system. 2) The NAV is decent, and the screen is way bigger than you will get in a Garmin or whatever aftermarket subsitute you choose 3) It has a back-up camera. With another tragic incident of reversing over a toddler in my town this week, I cannot give a bigger "thumbs up" to this saftey feature 4) With an aftermarket module (Lockpick in my case) you can use NAV features and other buttons that are normally locked-out in motion (iPod or other input can be a feature of the Lockpick too). As a bonus, the DVD pic can be played on the NAV screen in motion. I know, illegal and all, but here's my reality: I really do ignore it in the driver's seat, but my wife gets to watch along with the kids. Not sure that feature could be accomplished w/o factory DVD, but maybe. 5) Bluetooth - not the best I have ever heard, but way better than any aftermarket rig I have come across. 6) Finally, I just like the integration of sound, climate, NAV, phone, etc. on one control screen. The maintenance logs and other imbedded features are cool too.

I felt like the engine changes justified going with an 05. Others disagree, but the extra H.P. should be there, and official EPA rating was a bit better - reality may be different.

I was dedicated (to the point of stupidity) to finding a Sport Package 05, which has the options you mentioned in vehicle #1, plus a bit more, including KDSS. You will find KDSS difficult to identify, as many owners and dealers do not undertsand it or recognize whether KDSS is present or not. If you don't care, bypassing KDSS will make your search easier. Prepare to spend a lot of time if you want a Sport Package, especially with consideration to color/miles and overall cleanliness. I ended up with an 05 Sport Package with 58K, in superb condidtion, for about $23,500. I think it was a spectacular deal, but I have a dealer license and got it at a closed auction. I still had to pay sales tax. I forgot to look at your location before typing, but in my home state (NV) there is no sales tax on private used car sales. If I could have scored privately, I'd be about $2K to the better. If you can find an otherwise similar 05 w/o Sport Package for 24-25K, you are doing just fine. BTW, never bite on a two row GX if you want a third row - they do not have the mounts/seatbelts, etc., so you cannot add a third seat from eBay, junkyard, or whatever. Good luck with the hunt!
Old 11-10-10, 01:50 PM
grda
Driver School Candidate

Wow! Thank you for a great feedback. This is very helpful. You did get an incredible deal based upon my searches all over locally and on the internet.

I ended up getting my GX470 through at a dealer about 2 hours away instead of the other 2 deals.

Let me know if this was a good deal. It was a trade-in, 2004 GX470 with ML/Nav/Entertainment with 3rd row seat. It's the the air suspension that allows you to go up and down in height (not sure if this is standard) with 95k miles for $18250. Very clean inside and out except after I drove it home, I found the passenger door window don't work (motor works but window seems loose inside the door). I bought it as-is so I don't know what the recourse is but hopefully the repair wont be too much. Car was serviced religiously at local Lexus dealership according to the record so I am hoping the engine and all other critical components will last me for a while.

Originally Posted by zippinbye
I don't think you mentioned the year of GX #1. I spent two months looking for an 05, and pulled the trigger in late October. So I think I am "abreast of the market." If it's an 05, I would say good deal. The 04 without the options, perhaps it could be found cheaper. Of course the CPO factor as mentioned by other members is of significant value, but be careful. It must come under CPO status from a Lexus dealer. Many private parties have mistakenly implied the remaining CPO warranty is transferrable; I don't think that is ever the case (someone correct me if I'm wrong!). Also, I think another poster was correct, in that ML sound is married to Navigation. Here's why I think the NAV/ML and Rear Seat Entertainment are cool: 1) the ML system can be surpassed if you are an audiophile and/or get good, honest sales advice. But it will cost too, and let's face it, the ML is very good for a factory system. 2) The NAV is decent, and the screen is way bigger than you will get in a Garmin or whatever aftermarket subsitute you choose 3) It has a back-up camera. With another tragic incident of reversing over a toddler in my town this week, I cannot give a bigger "thumbs up" to this saftey feature 4) With an aftermarket module (Lockpick in my case) you can use NAV features and other buttons that are normally locked-out in motion (iPod or other input can be a feature of the Lockpick too). As a bonus, the DVD pic can be played on the NAV screen in motion. I know, illegal and all, but here's my reality: I really do ignore it in the driver's seat, but my wife gets to watch along with the kids. Not sure that feature could be accomplished w/o factory DVD, but maybe. 5) Bluetooth - not the best I have ever heard, but way better than any aftermarket rig I have come across. 6) Finally, I just like the integration of sound, climate, NAV, phone, etc. on one control screen. The maintenance logs and other imbedded features are cool too.

I felt like the engine changes justified going with an 05. Others disagree, but the extra H.P. should be there, and official EPA rating was a bit better - reality may be different.

I was dedicated (to the point of stupidity) to finding a Sport Package 05, which has the options you mentioned in vehicle #1, plus a bit more, including KDSS. You will find KDSS difficult to identify, as many owners and dealers do not undertsand it or recognize whether KDSS is present or not. If you don't care, bypassing KDSS will make your search easier. Prepare to spend a lot of time if you want a Sport Package, especially with consideration to color/miles and overall cleanliness. I ended up with an 05 Sport Package with 58K, in superb condidtion, for about $23,500. I think it was a spectacular deal, but I have a dealer license and got it at a closed auction. I still had to pay sales tax. I forgot to look at your location before typing, but in my home state (NV) there is no sales tax on private used car sales. If I could have scored privately, I'd be about $2K to the better. If you can find an otherwise similar 05 w/o Sport Package for 24-25K, you are doing just fine. BTW, never bite on a two row GX if you want a third row - they do not have the mounts/seatbelts, etc., so you cannot add a third seat from eBay, junkyard, or whatever. Good luck with the hunt!
Old 11-10-10, 02:09 PM
cssnms
Racer

Congrats on your new to-you GX.

I am however curious to know why you elected to buy a GX with 95k mi for only $3k+ less than a GX with only 60k mi? No disrespect, I just don't get the rational.
Old 11-10-10, 04:38 PM
grda
Driver School Candidate

With shipping to my house, the cost difference was almost $5k. Could not justify that much of a difference. The one I bought was couple hours away so I drove there and picked it up the same day. I figured Lexus would last a long time so looking to drive it until 200K. Had a bit of buyers remorse though after I found out the passenger window doesn't work though so hopefully that is a relatively cheap repair.

The one from the private seller (24-25k) turned out have a big dent on the hood. That one I also could have picked up but the dent scared me a bit.

Originally Posted by cssnms
Congrats on your new to-you GX.

I am however curious to know why you elected to buy a GX with 95k mi for only $3k+ less than a GX with only 60k mi? No disrespect, I just don't get the rational.

Last edited by grda; 11-10-10 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-10-10, 05:21 PM
cssnms
Racer

With shipping to my house, the cost difference was almost $5k. Could not justify that much of a difference. The one I bought was couple hours away so I drove there and picked it up the same day. I figured Lexus would last a long time so looking to drive it until 200K. Had a bit of buyers remorse though after I found out the passenger window doesn't work though so hopefully that is a relatively cheap repair.

The one from the private seller (24-25k) turned out have a big dent on the hood. That one I also could have picked up but the dent scared me a bit.
Fair enough. If your GX has been maintaned you're right, it should last a long time.

Did you run a service history? Has the timing belt been replaced? If not, it's due to be replaced at 90k miles, so you are over that point now. You DO NOT want that to break or it will cost you big time!
Old 11-10-10, 06:31 PM
grda
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cssnms
Fair enough. If your GX has been maintaned you're right, it should last a long time.

Did you run a service history? Has the timing belt been replaced? If not, it's due to be replaced at 90k miles, so you are over that point now. You DO NOT want that to break or it will cost you big time!
I did. It did not mention a timing belt replacement though. How much does that usually run?
Old 11-10-10, 06:42 PM
cssnms
Racer

I did. It did not mention a timing belt replacement though. How much does that usually run?
A lot, BUT not as much as a new engine. I will guess it will run you anywhere from $800 - $1200 depending on where you get the work done. The majority of the cost is labor. You should also get the water pump done at the same time since you are already paying for the labor to get in there, so effectively you are only buying the part which is not that much.

Word of advice, DO NOT wait or you will never see 200k mi. Call your local Toyota dealer and get a quote, then try to find a GOOD local shop in your area that specializes in working on Toyota's and obtain a quote from them. As a reference point when you call Toyota, the GX has the same engine as the Toyota Landcruiser of the same year so the timing belt will be one in the same. I suggest calling Toyota since it's about 30% cheaper to get any work done there vs going to a Lexus dealer.

Last edited by cssnms; 11-10-10 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-17-11, 04:16 PM
GeneE
Driver

I just bought a 2005 Sport Black/Gray, too. It has 92k miles but just had $3 in service: belt rad water pump brakes etc. I wanted a 2005+ Sport + Black and this is it. The KDSS suspension is awesome! Drove a 2004 non KDSS for comparison the day before and they are 2 noticeably different vehicles in acceleration and handling.
Old 07-17-11, 04:23 PM
GeneE
Driver

I just bought a 2005 Sport Black/Gray, too. 3rd row, nav, camera, m/l, dvd. It has 92k miles but just had $3 in service: belt rad water pump brakes etc. I wanted a 2005+ Sport + Black and this is it. The KDSS suspension is awesome! Drove a 2004 non KDSS for comparison the day before and they are 2 noticeably different vehicles in acceleration and handling.
Old 07-17-11, 05:50 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Enjoy the GX!