GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rebuilt Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-11, 09:36 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rebuilt Transmission?

Hi all. Has anyone had their transmission rebuilt? (not by Lexus) How much would it cost? Would other transmissions work in GX470 (Toyota trucks)? What’s the best way to go about it?
Thanks all.
Old 01-30-11, 10:05 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Globalinx
Hi all. Has anyone had their transmission rebuilt? (not by Lexus) How much would it cost? Would other transmissions work in GX470 (Toyota trucks)? What’s the best way to go about it?
Thanks all.
IIRC, the same model year V8 4Runner has the same transmission as GX.
Old 01-31-11, 06:07 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

The GX shares the same engine and drive train as the Landcruiser or the V8 4Runner.

You are the first that I am aware of to inquire/require transmission work. Why do you think you need your transmission rebuilt? How many miles on your GX?
Old 01-31-11, 11:27 AM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cssnms
The GX shares the same engine and drive train as the Landcruiser or the V8 4Runner.

You are the first that I am aware of to inquire/require transmission work. Why do you think you need your transmission rebuilt? How many miles on your GX?
Not that I need one right now. But I have been running the car hard and intend to do it further. After last time I came back from a track it felt like the trany wasn’t working right, felt like there was some slippage. While driving, when I pres on the gas there is a gap of about 400-500RPMs. Also it feels like the car doesn't pull as well till about 1000 RPM from the start. Just a heads up question. I wonder if I could hammer the car, and how long will the trany last? I don't wan't my wife being stuck without her new car LOL, and wonder if where I could get a cheap, used trany, and perhaps rebuild it and get it ready for the swap in case this one goes.
Old 01-31-11, 12:04 PM
ebradford
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not that I need one right now. But I have been running the car hard and intend to do it further. After last time I came back from a track it felt like the trany wasn’t working right, felt like there was some slippage. While driving, when I pres on the gas there is a gap of about 400-500RPMs. Also it feels like the car doesn't pull as well till about 1000 RPM from the start. Just a heads up question. I wonder if I could hammer the car, and how long will the trany last? I don't wan't my wife being stuck without her new car LOL, and wonder if where I could get a cheap, used trany, and perhaps rebuild it and get it ready for the swap in case this one goes.
interesting. i'm not sure a GX would be my first choice for a track vehicle due to the height, weight, and under-powered brakes. but maybe that's just me.
Old 01-31-11, 12:04 PM
mr2fast
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how many miles are on the truck, how long have you been towing with it, and have you ever changed the tranny fluid?
Old 01-31-11, 12:55 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you feel your harder on your trans you might want to get the trans serviced every 15k, rather then waiting 30-60k like most do, and if the truck feels like it is lagging change the diff fluid, stuff just get thicker with mileage
Old 01-31-11, 01:32 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mr2fast
how many miles are on the truck, how long have you been towing with it, and have you ever changed the tranny fluid?
The car is 2003 with 80,000 mi. Regular maintenance is done at Lexus. I am not sure if the car was used as a tow vehicle before me, but I do some spirited, winter/snow tracking on weekends. Basically Its stepping on gas and brakes for 100mi, nonstop. I gusess the car goes through a lot of gear changes in a short period of time under full load. I had the car only for 3 month now, so not sure what to expect.

Originally Posted by ebradford
interesting. I’m not sure a GX would be my first choice for a track vehicle due to the height, weight, and under-powered brakes. but maybe that's just me.
Not my first choice ether, but I only track on snow and ice covered surface on the short track. So the power and brakes are just fine. Till now it has to see a fair match. I think only once a dedicated race Subaru had outdriven me, which was driven by CrazyLeo from Can-Jam Rally Team.
Old 01-31-11, 02:38 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Tow my cars around often, no issues so far, but I change my fluids routinely.
Old 01-31-11, 02:45 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Since you are unsure of the vehicle's history, you should consider changing your transmission and diff fluids.
Old 02-04-11, 03:50 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts
Wink

I might get a girlfriend in case my wife leaves me.....I couldn't resist