GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What's hooked up to your GX?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-11, 07:53 AM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wireless cameras!

It would be unnerving to not be able to see through the mirrors. The biggest thing I have towed was a 21ft Sea-Ray. Pops was a semi truck driver so he taught me well. I just use a spotter if I have to back into a tight spot. Campers world might have a solution for extended mirrors. I still like the wireless camera idea!
Old 02-21-11, 05:11 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by yutahay
This is our Coast 21 LRBS guest house. I've towed it it back and forth to the dealer several times but haven't really had it on a long trip yet. I can't find a mirror set up that is wide enough to feel comfortable with in terms of rear visability. I tried the strap ons...too short; modified some truck slip ons but they didn't get out far enough to see around the 8 foot wide trailer either. I can't bring myself to put regular truck mirrors on with braces on the doors yet. Any ideas would be appreciated. ACHMUUUNDGH....thinking about trading the GX in on a new Ford F150 supercrew or Raptor.
I'm preparing to duck!
Don't make the mistake of trading in the GX for a Ford just yet...

http://swifthitch.net/
Old 02-21-11, 05:49 PM
Bob GX
Driver

Originally Posted by yutahay
This is our Coast 21 LRBS guest house. I've towed it it back and forth to the dealer several times but haven't really had it on a long trip yet. I can't find a mirror set up that is wide enough to feel comfortable with in terms of rear visability. I tried the strap ons...too short; modified some truck slip ons but they didn't get out far enough to see around the 8 foot wide trailer either. I can't bring myself to put regular truck mirrors on with braces on the doors yet. Any ideas would be appreciated. ACHMUUUNDGH....thinking about trading the GX in on a new Ford F150 supercrew or Raptor.
I'm preparing to duck!
Did you happen upon the McKesh Towing Mirrors (do an Internet search)? I have used those on my GX & they extend far enough to use with my travel trailer with no problem seeing around. Let me know if you'd like more info and I'll do a better writeup on them. They are among the best for add on towing mirrors IMO.

I also have a pickup that I almost always use for towing - not that the GX is bad for towing 'cuz it's not - but full size pickups are hard to beat since they are wider to begin with and have more options for things like towing mirrors, etc
Old 02-24-11, 06:48 PM
sprocket
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLUEGXLVCR
Lots of fisher-peeps here! Well, post up an impressive catch then!
Here you go! Mahi, Tarpon, Tarpon, Redfish.

Old 02-25-11, 12:41 PM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

DROOOOOOOL........... I'll take that with a knife and a fork thanks!
Old 02-25-11, 02:12 PM
cssnms
Racer

sprokets how come I have to come to a car forum to see these pictures?! lol Nice phin! How are those TLD's treating you?
Old 02-25-11, 02:25 PM
sprocket
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by cssnms
sprokets how come I have to come to a car forum to see these pictures?! lol Nice phin! How are those TLD's treating you?
The TLD's are fine, although they have only been used a couple of times. I'm heading out tomorrow morning on a friend's 30' Pursuit. Trolling for wahoo or mahi in the morning then looking for cobia midday. The cobia have just arrived in our area as the water is warming up. Most of the fish so far have been in the mid 40's!
Old 02-25-11, 04:47 PM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by sprocket
The TLD's are fine, although they have only been used a couple of times. I'm heading out tomorrow morning on a friend's 30' Pursuit. Trolling for wahoo or mahi in the morning then looking for cobia midday. The cobia have just arrived in our area as the water is warming up. Most of the fish so far have been in the mid 40's!
It's nice to have friends with big boats for the rough days! May you have tight lines and fare winds!
Old 02-28-11, 10:22 AM
sprocket
Pit Crew

Not to turn this into a fishing forum, but it was a nice day Saturday. Didn't catch a lot, but we did get one nice cobia . We were idling around looking for rays when we saw one jump. When we went over and cast out to it, 4 cobia came out from under it. The water was really clear so it was very cool to see. Got one of them and it ran about 30lbs. I did not catch it, and I don't have any pics.
Old 02-28-11, 03:11 PM
Frode
Driver School Candidate

Here's our 30' toy. I too agree it is hard to fond good towing mirrors for the GX. Will look into the McKesh mirrors; they do look promising. A back-up camera is awesome....for backing up, but I also want to know the exact whereabouts of the trailer when going on windy narrow roads.
Attached Thumbnails What's hooked up to your GX?-dsc04292.jpg   What's hooked up to your GX?-dsc04295.jpg  
Old 02-28-11, 03:58 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Frode
Here's our 30' toy. I too agree it is hard to fond good towing mirrors for the GX. Will look into the McKesh mirrors; they do look promising. A back-up camera is awesome....for backing up, but I also want to know the exact whereabouts of the trailer when going on windy narrow roads.
Wow--thats a nice size trailer your pulling! How does the GX like that behind it? Looks like it may be a load--
Old 02-28-11, 04:02 PM
Frode
Driver School Candidate

It actually handles quite nicely. The GX has plenty power to haul the 5000lbs trailer. I have the Equalizer sway control mounted, which is awesome in controlling most sway and drag from wind and other trucks.
Old 03-01-11, 09:37 AM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Good stuff Frode! Where do you and the fam go camping? I'm in Las Vegas so I forget, what is a "forest" again?! Good to see the GX can haul a bigger toy!
Old 03-07-11, 04:40 PM
yutahay
Driver School Candidate

Default McKesh mirrors

Thanks Bob for the tip on the mirrors. I've seen similar ones that strap on to the door but hesitated to ue them for fear of scratching the paint. Have you found that to be the case? The nice aero ones from Campworld were too noisy. When I got up to 50 mph they would hum and it sounded like someone behind me was honking at me.