GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Anyone tried DC Gold 8 ohm 6x9s?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-11, 05:59 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Anyone tried DC Gold 8 ohm 6x9s?

Hi all,

Once again I'm faced with swapping out the wonderful ML front door 6x9s, as one has blown again I just don't see throwing another $200+ for crappy speakers that'll be dead again in a couple of years. I've searched this forum and googled and there are only a couple of pairs of 6x9s in 8 ohm that even show up. Ones obviously junk and the other DC Gold N69C may be decent and even referenced here, but no one has used them that I have read.

If anyone has used them or some other brand successfully, can you please chime in?

http://dcgold.com/products/classic-line/n69c/

Thanks
Old 06-14-11, 04:25 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Just buy 4 ohms you wont get easily 8 ohm speakers that will be any good that are 3 ways. I wouldn't think you would pick the difference and i really do not think it will harm your speakers as speakers with a very low impedance could cause a amplifier problem but it will overload and switch on and off this you will notice this if have a problem as the amp may not be able to deliver the current required. You will get more power/current out with lower impedance. Just put high powered 4 ohm speakers eg 300 watts they should behave louder than they would in a 8 ohm system with same watts. The amp isn't big enough to really be and issue but strong enough to do the job. Basically the higher the ohms the more current required so the lower the ohms the less current required. Putting it on 4 ohm is actually a current limiter, so the actual power output is never used. I have never seen an amplifier with two seperate sets of outputs (one for 8 ohm and another for 4 ohm), that doesn't mean it doesn't exist though, and if it does please let me know the make and model.
Same amps have switches between 4 and 8 ohms if you flicked one to 4 ohms half the power is taken away.

Last edited by Australian; 06-14-11 at 04:39 AM.
Old 06-14-11, 09:01 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by Australian
Just buy 4 ohms you wont get easily 8 ohm speakers that will be any good that are 3 ways. I wouldn't think you would pick the difference and i really do not think it will harm your speakers as speakers with a very low impedance could cause a amplifier problem but it will overload and switch on and off this you will notice this if have a problem as the amp may not be able to deliver the current required. You will get more power/current out with lower impedance. Just put high powered 4 ohm speakers eg 300 watts they should behave louder than they would in a 8 ohm system with same watts. The amp isn't big enough to really be and issue but strong enough to do the job. Basically the higher the ohms the more current required so the lower the ohms the less current required. Putting it on 4 ohm is actually a current limiter, so the actual power output is never used. I have never seen an amplifier with two seperate sets of outputs (one for 8 ohm and another for 4 ohm), that doesn't mean it doesn't exist though, and if it does please let me know the make and model.
Same amps have switches between 4 and 8 ohms if you flicked one to 4 ohms half the power is taken away.
That would be a very dangerous experiment. Lowering the resistance on the speaker will likely cause the amp to overheat. It's way cheaper to fix a blown speaker, than a fried amp. A good amp would be stable at lower ohms. Judging by the quality of speakers Lexus used in the GX. I would give the amp 30 seconds with a 4 ohm load at moderate volume. If someone's tried it, I'm willing to entertain the thought. As it sits, I was able to get a speaker repair kit from Orange County Speaker and fix the problem for under $20 each.
Old 06-15-11, 12:00 AM
nmmuzykam
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought some Genesis 6x9 8 ohm speakers two years ago, and after they broke in they sounded fantastic, much more bass and clarity than before. However, I believe the company closed shop, as their website no longer lists distributors anywhere in the world, and there are no speakers available on it. I attached a link so you can see the company, maybe you can find a pair on ebay or something. I was lucky, as they were kind enough to ship them directly from their factory in Britain to me here in the US. You can try emailing them and see what up. Hope this helps!

http://www.genesiscaraudio.co.uk/uk-en/
Old 06-15-11, 02:29 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
That would be a very dangerous experiment. Lowering the resistance on the speaker will likely cause the amp to overheat. It's way cheaper to fix a blown speaker, than a fried amp. A good amp would be stable at lower ohms. Judging by the quality of speakers Lexus used in the GX. I would give the amp 30 seconds with a 4 ohm load at moderate volume. If someone's tried it, I'm willing to entertain the thought. As it sits, I was able to get a speaker repair kit from Orange County Speaker and fix the problem for under $20 each.
I think it would be a problem if you tried it with the whole system but i honestly believe it would be okay for a front set. Many subwoofers are run at 0.5 ohm stable that are actually 4 ohm woofers eg rockford , soundstream. I think same can be applied to mid range or full range why not run a second amp as a mirror system if worried using an amp with high and low level inputs these can be found dirt cheap.

I will add that i have an 8 ohm system running 4 ohm split speakers in my 1986 pontiac.

Last edited by Australian; 06-15-11 at 03:04 AM.
Old 06-15-11, 06:52 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by Australian
I think it would be a problem if you tried it with the whole system but i honestly believe it would be okay for a front set. Many subwoofers are run at 0.5 ohm stable that are actually 4 ohm woofers eg rockford , soundstream. I think same can be applied to mid range or full range why not run a second amp as a mirror system if worried using an amp with high and low level inputs these can be found dirt cheap.

I will add that i have an 8 ohm system running 4 ohm split speakers in my 1986 pontiac.
It really isn't the speaker rating that matters, but the amp driving it. Voice coil impedance never changes, it's either a 4 ohm speaker or not, but stable down to 0.5 ohm would suggest the amp is beefy enough and able to cool itself well enough to handle the low resistance.

The option for a second amp is certainly a possibility. Once you start cutting into the system though, you're pretty much committed to going all out. Not that that's a bad option. I liked the previous post about adding three way 8 ohm 6x9s, but too bad that company no longer makes speakers.

A lot of manufacturers are going with these funky non standard systems, so they can hide stuff under panels and not worry about overheating and such. Maybe even look forward to selling high margin parts after the fact, but it really makes a mess for the buyer in the long run.

Next time, I'm getting a car without navi and all the integrated stuff, so I can rip out the factory junk and put in a real sound system. There's something to be said about old school. Even though the GX looks way better with navi, I could have had me a nice Pioneer AVIC and a serious sound system for what I would have saved and not worry about blowing out decent sounding, but beyond junk speakers all the time.

I've never really rocked out in my car, because I'm always worried about blowing out the speakers. Now that I've discovered they can be fixed for $20, the system is going to start getting a good beating. Haven;t really heard any complaints about the other speakers blowing out. I may add that with the new repair kit, the foam surround is way thicker and better quality than stock and doubt it'll rip again, so maybe this will be a non-issue going forward
Old 07-01-11, 05:30 PM
dustoff44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink 4 Ohm speakers

4 years ago I replaced the Mark Levinson 6x9 8 Ohm speakers in the doors of our SC430 Lexus with Alpine SPR 69LP 4 Ohm 3 way speakers. Since then we have never a had any problems with speakers or amplifier....
Definitely improved bass response too.

Let the audio experts flame away. But it is very hard to argue against a great but unexpected result.

When the surrounds on the ML 6x9" speakers in our GX470 fail I will do this again.
Old 03-19-14, 10:10 AM
W3I3L3L
Driver School Candidate

Default Has anyone officially tried DC Gold 8 ohms?

Hello,

I have a 2007 LS460 and have blown both left and right front speakers. Can anyone confirm they have tried the DC Gold 8-ohms? Seems like the only option and I want to be sure before buying.

I see this thread dates back to 2011 and was hoping for an update or a better 6x9 speaker option.

Thx.
Old 03-19-14, 10:44 AM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by W3I3L3L
Hello,

I have a 2007 LS460 and have blown both left and right front speakers. Can anyone confirm they have tried the DC Gold 8-ohms? Seems like the only option and I want to be sure before buying.

I see this thread dates back to 2011 and was hoping for an update or a better 6x9 speaker option.

Thx.
EDIT:

I see you have an LS. If the LS has individual mids and tweeters in each front door, the info below should apply to the LS also.

Definitely stick with 8 ohm 6 x 9 speakers. I would seriously consider the speakers listed below. Don't bother with coaxial 2 or 3-way 6x9's !!! The front doors already have mid range and tweeters installed. A mid-bass 8 ohm speaker is all you need for the 6 x9. Coaxial 6x9's will actually screw up the sound balance ML was striving to create. The required mounting depth of the speakers in the link is only 3.15". Don't know how much room is in the GX door. 3.15" is pretty shallow so the speakers probably fit a GX.

http://www.audiosavings.com/products...KER/XM698.aspx

I have not seen a spec on the SPL of the stock 6 x9.
SPL is a measure of the loudness of the speaker. It's usually measured with a 1 watt signal to the speaker and the loudness is measured with a dB meter placed 1 meter in front of the speaker.

DC Gold SPL is 92 dB
Cadence SPL is 102dB
Stock GX SPL ???

The Cadence plays quit a bit louder than the Gold (if the specs can be believed). What spec ML requires is anybody's guess. I'm thinking the 102 dB spec for the Cadence is not correct. 102dB for any 6 x9 size speaker is optimistic.

Here's an alternate. Requires more work, but the speaker choices increase and there are many more high quality 8 ohm 6.5" speakers to choose from. (You don't have to use home audio speakers.)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-speakers.html

Last edited by 470reasons; 03-19-14 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-19-14, 01:45 PM
W3I3L3L
Driver School Candidate

Cool... Thanks for the quick response. I'll do a little more research on the 6.5 before purchasing. Once I make my decision I'll be sure to update.
Old 03-19-14, 08:51 PM
Sethro
Rookie

Does anyone know how many ohm's the sub in the back is?

Thanks
Seth
Old 03-19-14, 09:16 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sethro
Does anyone know how many ohm's the sub in the back is?

Thanks
Seth
5 ohms. I ended up repairing all of my speakers including the sub and they have worked out well. I wasn't brave enough to try thr 4 ohm speakers and didn't get much feed back on the DC Gold when I first posted, so I took the repair route. Many haver complemented on the bass response of after markets, but the base response of the stock ML is pretty good too....when the collars aren't cracked and leaking.
Old 03-19-14, 09:37 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
5 ohms. I ended up repairing all of my speakers including the sub and they have worked out well. I wasn't brave enough to try thr 4 ohm speakers and didn't get much feed back on the DC Gold when I first posted, so I took the repair route. Many haver complemented on the bass response of after markets, but the base response of the stock ML is pretty good too....when the collars aren't cracked and leaking.
How did you go about repairing your speakers?

I've used quite a few re-edge kits from Orange County Speaker (but none on a GX). Orange County handles some odd ball sizes.

RE-edging is really not hard. The glue drys slowly so the cone can be centered and checked before the glue dries. The hardest part sometimes, is getting all of the old surround off cleanly. And hey, if you screw it up - the speaker was already bad before you started the repair.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/
Old 03-19-14, 10:29 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 470reasons
How did you go about repairing your speakers?
This is how I did it.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l-speaker.html