GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Can you put 2 boosters 1 car seat on the 2nd row seat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-11, 10:04 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can you put 2 boosters 1 car seat on the 2nd row seat?

My friend finally bought Lexus GX470. After owning BMW X5 and Range Rover he admit he loves GX better. He bought 2008 sport edition with KDSS. Now my question is he has 3 kids. Two kids in the boosters and 3rd is still in car seat. Yesterday we try to put all 3 on the second row. What we did is 1st booster we put on passenger side. 2nd booster on Driver side. We tried to put car seat in the middle but there is only one anchor/latch.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
Old 07-14-11, 12:12 PM
esf1224`
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a car seat (Britax Marathon) and a booster (Britax Frontier) installed on either side of the 2nd row. There is very little room left between these two. Granted these are large seats. I would say your friend can try installing car seat (using LATCH) on passenger side and one of the boosters in the middle. In general i find it much harder to install car seats in GX compared to any other cars i owned.
Hope this helps
Old 07-14-11, 12:43 PM
skim07
Driver

wow...3 on 2nd row? Man, I can barely fit Britax Chaperone baby seat in the middle. I have to drive with the seat close to the steering wheel.
Old 07-14-11, 01:58 PM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

I know, what you mean. I have one Britax Blvd, that takes most of the space.
Old 07-14-11, 03:47 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

I use the anchors for the middle kid and the locking seat belts for the left and right seats so it allows the car seats to scoot as close to the doors as possible. Very tight fit still.
Old 07-14-11, 09:36 PM
schan1w
Driver

I use Sunshine Kids Radian car seats. These are much narrower and fit three across in most any car. The problem with boosters is that once you have 3 seat so closely spaced, the kids will never be able to buckle the seat belt, as there's no space between the seats. Radian car seats fit much taller kids. Even though my daughter could be in a booster, I put her in a Radian car seat cause the belt then is in the front (5 point harness) and no issue with buckling.
Old 07-15-11, 11:05 AM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it unsafe / not legal to put a kid in a booster in the 3rd row?

Turby
Old 07-15-11, 11:25 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Turbinator
Is it unsafe / not legal to put a kid in a booster in the 3rd row?

Turby
Thats I want to know too. I called Lexus they told 3rd row not design for kids. I thought really, then what is it? Obviously not for adults.
Old 07-15-11, 11:27 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Davenlei
I use the anchors for the middle kid and the locking seat belts for the left and right seats so it allows the car seats to scoot as close to the doors as possible. Very tight fit still.

But there is only one anchor in the middle, because boosters use two on the left and and two on the right.
Old 07-15-11, 11:29 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by schan1w
I use Sunshine Kids Radian car seats. These are much narrower and fit three across in most any car. The problem with boosters is that once you have 3 seat so closely spaced, the kids will never be able to buckle the seat belt, as there's no space between the seats. Radian car seats fit much taller kids. Even though my daughter could be in a booster, I put her in a Radian car seat cause the belt then is in the front (5 point harness) and no issue with buckling.

Thank you for the info, do you know weight restriction, if not then I can google.
Old 07-15-11, 03:27 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lexus 4 ME
But there is only one anchor in the middle, because boosters use two on the left and and two on the right.
For the middle, I use one anchor intended for the left seat and one anchor intended for the right seat on the center car seat. This leaves only one anchor for each child seat on the left and right side so I do not use them for the child seats on the sides. I just use the seat belt for the seats on the left and right sides and use the seat belt locking capability for those.
Old 07-16-11, 01:14 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Here is an age/seat type requirement graph for child seating in California.

http://www.infant-car-seats.com/stat...alifornia.html
Old 07-17-11, 04:40 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Davenlei
For the middle, I use one anchor intended for the left seat and one anchor intended for the right seat on the center car seat. This leaves only one anchor for each child seat on the left and right side so I do not use them for the child seats on the sides. I just use the seat belt for the seats on the left and right sides and use the seat belt locking capability for those.
Yeah, this is a delicate one. The owner's manual specifies only two locations: passenger's side, and the driver's side that's "inboard" a bit. Really unfortunate that it isn't fully on the driver's side.

They do not recommend straddling the two inner mounts. I think this is because the LATCH spec specifies a width between anchor points, and the way you're mounting the seat results in the mounts being too far apart.

Likely not a big deal, unless you get into a huge shunt that really tests the anchors. if so, then the additional lateral forces on the anchors might compromise their strength...
Old 07-18-11, 07:00 AM
jrbyrn
Driver School Candidate

If it were me, I would not use the Latch system at all
Manually put the car seat in the center, use the center seat belt to fasten the seat, you have to extend the seat belt completely when installing the car seat so the belt will lock firmly on the seat. Use the teather strap on the back of the car seat to attach to the acnchor on the back of the second seat row. There is a center anchor on the back of the seat for that purpose.
Then the two booster seats in the outboard positions can use the seat belts
Old 07-18-11, 09:01 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Thank you so much for response, we ended up putting car seat in the middle and secure it with the seat belt. Booster can be secure only by latches/anchors.