GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

tinted windshield

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-11, 05:45 PM
LifeEnjoyr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tinted windshield

I tinted my windshield last week and have to say that it came out pretty clean! You can't even tell it's tinted but it does a hell of a job keeping the UV rays out and I can even drive without my shades on (though I still keep them on). It's a 65% shade, so it isn't too dark at all, even at night.

Here are some pics. I know, I know, it's illegal, especially here in Cali, but what isn't illegal in here. =P
Attached Thumbnails tinted windshield-dsc_1120.jpg   tinted windshield-dsc_1121.jpg  
Old 08-25-11, 03:32 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Just an FYI, back in the day my friend tinted his windshield and when he finally got pulled over, they towed his car and impounded it stating it is a safety hazard to have a tinted windshield because it reduces visibility especially at night.
Old 08-25-11, 06:35 PM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Davenlei
Just an FYI, back in the day my friend tinted his windshield and when he finally got pulled over, they towed his car and impounded it stating it is a safety hazard to have a tinted windshield because it reduces visibility especially at night.
They rarely bother now, but when the cars didn't come with tinted windows, and tints used to be hot, a lot of officers used to carry light meters to measure light drop through a window.

Each state has a different laws regarding allowable light drop of the side windows.
Here in NY, 70% of the light has to come through the side windows (front or back), only top 6" of the windshield can be tinted with non-reflective tint, although special tinting of the windshield is allowed with medical exemptions, other windows any tint.
In California, 70% of the light has to come through the front side windows, only top 4" of the windshield can be tinted with non-reflective tint, no medical exemptions are allowed, other windows any tint.

If your luck runs out and you manage to come across PITA officer that decides to check why your entire windshield seems to be darker, chances are you'll get a ticket or possibly get your car towed. One good thing you have going for you is the fact that you are in California . With so much sunshine who will notice your tint .

If you ask me - it looks great.
Old 08-25-11, 08:31 PM
khmer470
Rookie

it does help blocking the sun but the percentage is small, this small percentage will apply to your risk of accident. hopefully you get way from officer from inspecting your windshield, otherwise your fault would be default plus big fine. i don't think any states would allow to have windshield tinted except the top portion of windshield. i think......
Old 08-26-11, 03:56 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 146 Posts

are those the weather tech window visors? If so, are they a perfect fit?
Old 08-27-11, 04:47 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to have tints on all of my cars so I did my own tints when I first got my GX. MA's tint law is pretty mellow minimum of 35% light transmittence through driver and front passenger windows. I've only had a PO stop me once for my tints but I had it at 15% light transmittence which was pretty dark, he gave me a ticket but I went to court and told the judge I took off the tint so he let me get off with a warning now I stay within the 35% or higher range.

Typically its when I do the annual emissions the shop check the tint I typically just roll my 2 front windows all the way down before pulling into the garage to do the emissions and they typically don't check.
Old 08-31-11, 08:50 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tinted my windshield 3 years ago. As long as your side windows are not too dark you cant tell that windshield has tint. In CA if you dont give a cop hard time he doesnt care about windshield, they care more about their own safety, and hands free law.
Old 09-26-11, 01:25 PM
LifeEnjoyr
Driver

I know what you guys mean, it doesn't affect my visibility by much if any at all, though it does an awesome job of keeping the sun from beaming into my face! Big difference I must say! =)
Old 09-26-11, 01:28 PM
LifeEnjoyr
Driver

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Yup, they are Weather Tech's. A perfect fit, took me literally 5 mins to do all the windows. I can't recall the seller on eBay but found the best price on there. Just make sure you go for some good quality ones that fit right into the window seals. otherwise you'll probably be buying some cheap ones that use double-sided tape to stay on. These ones are more than double the price of what I've seen on Amazon and eBay but you get what you pay for.
Old 09-26-11, 07:38 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Fits great, but adds to noise level
Old 09-29-11, 03:34 PM
SmittysGX
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LifeEnjoyr
I tinted my windshield last week and have to say that it came out pretty clean! You can't even tell it's tinted but it does a hell of a job keeping the UV rays out and I can even drive without my shades on (though I still keep them on). It's a 65% shade, so it isn't too dark at all, even at night.

Here are some pics. I know, I know, it's illegal, especially here in Cali, but what isn't illegal in here. =P
Thats looks good!!! I may have to look into getting mine done
Old 10-06-11, 11:25 AM
97JZA80
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice!

I had my supra done for years before the DMV finally caught it. Wasnt too peeved about taking it off tho because on a dark road at night it was impossible to see.