GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

VSC/Trac off lights came on???

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-11, 05:29 PM
evnpar1020
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSC/Trac off lights came on???

Hey guys,
I'm brand new here. Thanks for the great site, very knowledgeable people here.
I bought my wife a 2005 Gx470 this past weekend. She has only driving it for the past 2 days. (still had gas in the old car, which is now for sale) She called me and said the VSC light off light came on and the Trac light was on. I did some quick searching and couldn't find anything definitive on what or why the lights came on for. She got gas yesterday, but probably only drove about 40 miles. I asked her if she tightened fuel cap until it clicked, she said she thinks...(crazy pregnant woman).

Any advise on resolving the issue would be great. I'm trying to avoid a trip to a dealer on a car I bought 5 days ago.
Also, how to reset the codes without a computer? I know my GMC truck, I just unhook the battery for 30mins or so and clears all codes. Hoping Lexus has a cheat too.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 09-29-11, 06:17 PM
evnpar1020
Driver School Candidate

Correction all 4 four lights on....looks like a trip to get the codes. Put still curious as the the possibilities of cause.
Old 09-30-11, 06:50 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First off, welcome and congrats on your new GX!

4 lights? Usually it's 3 IIRC: VSC, Trac & Check Engine

As for codes, you can disconnect the battery to reset them all (except airbag) or (which I recommend) you can go to most national parts stores (advacned, autozone, pepboys, o'reillys, etc.) and they will read (and usually reset) codes for you at no charge. If you decide to disconnect the neg (-) battery lead, know you'll lose all your radio/seat/clock memory and need to re-initialize all windows (open and close each from switch on that individual door in this order: driver, fr passenger, rear passenger, rear driver side and sunroof) to get auto-open/close to work along w/ being able to control from driver door.

As for causes... could be any number of things but hopefully just loose gas cap. Get the codes and post them back here for more help.

Congrats again and good luck
Old 09-30-11, 05:51 PM
evnpar1020
Driver School Candidate

Got the code. P1074
Old 09-30-11, 09:43 PM
evnpar1020
Driver School Candidate

Please help. I'm considering returning the car to dealer as tomorrow will be the 7th day since I bought it and I can still return it. I'm calling the dealership where I purchased, used acura, to see if they will fix the issue. I can't find anything for that error code. I hate to disappoint my wife by returning her new ride.
Old 10-01-11, 03:28 AM
F14AV8R
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JUST the VSC and TRAC OFF Lights

My 2004 RX-330 began displaying these two lights a few weeks ago. I checked for codes at Autozone. No codes. The CHECK ENGINE LIGHT is NOT on so they tell me no codes will be displayed.

Yesterday I took it to the dealer. They spent most of the day troubleshooting and finally determined it was a YAW SENSOR. The part alone is over $800. That is, of course, total BS and I won't be making the repair, at least at the dealer.

Anybody know where I can get the part cheaper?

Also, I would like to know what capabilities I've lost. I assume the traction assist mode is inoperative but is my ABS affected in any way. The dealer wasn't sure.
Old 10-01-11, 06:20 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Are you sure it's not P0174 - bank 2 lean? That seems more plausible, especially given CEL came on after your wife got gas. Did they reset code for you and if so are CELs back now? If it is, and you're sure you re-tightened gas cap then you likely have a vacuum leak or problem w/ MAF. I lean more to a vacuum leak b/c you'd likely also get P0171 if MAF.

Anywho... since it's only been 7 days, they definitely should fix for you ASAP at no charge and insist they do it today. If they balk, you can always threaten you need resolution one way or another today as it's the last day of return window... They'll understand your implication Find your salesman and make him get it done for you. It's a Saturday, typically their busiest day of week. Your salesman and mgr will want your issue resolved ASAP b/c not only will you be a distraction/hindrance to them making $ selling other cars, they could lose out twice should you decide to return yours. I'd call them or be at their door as soon as they open today.

Good luck
Old 10-01-11, 09:26 AM
evnpar1020
Driver School Candidate

The code is what the autozone , disgruntle hate my life, employee read off to me. He could have been wrong. Talked to dealership first thing this morning and the service manager was out, small town no service shiops are ever open on Saturday at least not past noon. They are coming to pick up the car monday and fix it. The guy was pretty understanding, being that in the negotiation, I asked if I drive it out of here and something happens will you back it up, he agreed. Love the car so far though. Thanks for the help. Now does anyone know how to turn off the auto backup mirror thing?
Old 10-01-11, 12:08 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

put the mirror selector switch in middle...
Old 10-01-11, 12:27 PM
evnpar1020
Driver School Candidate

its in the middle now, i think i read on here to put it to L to quit tilting.
Old 10-02-11, 09:44 AM
evnpar1020
Driver School Candidate

air bag light on now????
Old 06-05-16, 12:03 PM
Silvano
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, Just wanted to say that I had the same problem with my 2003 es 300 the track off and vsc lights along with the check engine lights we're all on and I have a code p2241 coming up on my code reader. It seems they're all on because of a bad bank 2 sensor 1 sensor. I just bought the sensor and am going to have it replaced but In the meantime I followed a suggestion I read in one of these forums on how to clear the track off and vsc lights by using a paper clip to short out the 4th and 15th pins on my diagnostic port and it worked. The track off and vsc lights went off. I still have the check engine light coming on and off every so often but I'm confident that once I replace that sensor it too will go off...so thank you for the info on how to clear those lights and if you're having that problem too just look in these forums under track off and vsc lights and scroll the messages till you find the one with the instructions on how to fix the problem by way of shorting out the diagnostic port with a paper clip...it's really easy to do too....
Old 06-05-16, 12:11 PM
Silvano
Driver School Candidate

Oh forgot to mention, I tried clearing the lights with my code reader but they wouldn't go off. The check engine light did go off but only for about an hour then came back on. The only thing that worked so far was the paper clip short thing and I did that this morning and the lights are still off......