GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

iPad Install in my GX

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-12, 07:53 PM
jaywkang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPad Install in my GX

So, I picked up 2004 GX price adjusted for current fuel prices for an incredible price. My wife couldn't believe that the truck was so "affordable." Well, since the second week I owned the vehicle I was not happy with the sound system. It is the non-nav unit. The sound was okay but the fact that I couldn't directly connect my ipod to the stereo was a real bummer. I researched this issue for months and surprisingly there is very little info on the web about stereo upgrades for the GX. I went back and forth with either replacing everything with an Alpine 910 to control it all to integrating an Audison Bit 1.

Finally, I decided on the JL Cleansweep and the summing device so that I could keep the dash stock locking and to avoid the price of the alpine unit plus the Beatsonic dash kit. $1300 just for the source unit and dash kit????? No way!

The entire installation took me around 20 hours soldering and heat shrinking the majority of connections. The only connections that weren't were the high level out of the factory amp to the summing device. I am running a JL XD700/5 driving a set of Morel Maximo components in the front and an Alpine 8" Type R sub. I bridged the amp on the fronts and left the rears disconnected. My baby likes to sleep on drives.

The cleanssweep does what it is advertised to do. It does it very well, actually. After about 3 weeks of living with an ipod and pandora I wanted more. I wanted Nav and a "huge" display and I happened to have an iPad laying around so I had to figure out a way to integrate the tablet into the dash but didn't want to cut bondo and paint anything. Soundman Car Audio out in California was the catalyst for this desire. I already installed the Scosche Hi amperage ipad cable with switchable video out so I knew that this was a mod I eventually would do.

Again, searching the internet for ideas to mount the ipad yielded in nothing for the GX. I thought this over while I aid in bed, while I drove, while ate, while I showered, etc. etc. Then it dawned on me. I never use my cassette player and the slot was in a very good location for a mount so all I had to do was fashion something that would slide into the tape slot. I was in the kitchen and decided to use a cutting board that I happened to be using. It looked to be the same thickness as a cassette tape, rigid enough to support the ipad and easy enough to cut and drill.

So here is my ipad installation (which can be removed to hide all traces when parked for extended periods and to keep valets' grubby fingers off of my property.)
Old 02-12-12, 08:10 PM
jaywkang
Driver School Candidate

Default Pics

Here are some pictures
Attached Thumbnails iPad Install in my GX-dsc_0004.jpg   iPad Install in my GX-dsc_0005.jpg   iPad Install in my GX-dsc_0016.jpg   iPad Install in my GX-dsc_0012.jpg  
Old 02-12-12, 08:13 PM
jaywkang
Driver School Candidate

Default Ipad in the dash

Project about 90 percent done!
Attached Thumbnails iPad Install in my GX-dsc_0018.jpg   iPad Install in my GX-dsc_0023.jpg   iPad Install in my GX-dsc_0024.jpg   iPad Install in my GX-dsc_0027.jpg  
Old 02-12-12, 08:20 PM
jaywkang
Driver School Candidate

So at this point a Dual GPS receiver is on the way. Don't know if it will work with my GPS apps nor do I know if it will work with tethering occurring at the same time. This whole project hinged on the fact that the ipad 2 and iphone 4s was able to be jail broken. Thank goodness it was because mywi is the best app on the market. Sorry wireless provider but you are gouging me as it were. You can see from my pics that I mounted my "Master Volume Control" **** down by the arm rest so that it is very easy to reach and the factory volume **** is not necessary. To the right of it is the bass control ****, which by looking at the pics is a little crooked and off. Oops.
Old 02-12-12, 09:01 PM
sidwin
Pole Position

dang that's hard core i just finished up installing my dvd head rest, beat sonic dvd and nav bypass, hardwire my valentine 1, put HID in both my low and fog lights, swapped out all the floor mats to rubber and tint the front windows... probably in less time then it took for you to do the stereo install that some extreme work to get gps and itunes but congrats on the hard work!
Old 02-12-12, 10:09 PM
jaywkang
Driver School Candidate

Thanks man, funny how I just don't trust a wiring diagram. Takes a lot of time with a meter and a 9 volt battery to make sure things are what they should be. Turns out the Lexus diagram is 100% correct btw. These are very enjoyable vehicles to work on. Things come apart very easily and go back together as they should.
Old 02-12-12, 11:40 PM
aznxenon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This looks outta control, altho I'm only worried about people breaking your glass just to jack your iPad. :X
Old 02-14-12, 12:44 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You're a crafty *****!
Nice job.
Old 02-14-12, 03:57 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty sweet - how does the thing not slide out of the tape player when you accelerate?
Old 02-14-12, 04:09 PM
Quik208
Lead Lap

That's pretty sweet! Good job on thinking out of the box.
Old 02-14-12, 04:12 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

That's frickin' awesome! LOL, nah seriously though, that look's great! Nice job!
Old 02-14-12, 04:20 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice job op, very ingenius of you...

while on the topic, i like the look of the nav screen but my gx470 doesn't have one so is there anyway i can get an 04 nav center console and install it in my car? or anyone wanna switcheroo with me and i add cash? i know those thing are outdated but i do like the look of one even tho we got a detacheable aftermarket dvd player and 2 ipads... thanx
Old 02-14-12, 05:01 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Club, I'm pretty sure it can be done, but I think it is fairly costly - you know how Lexus is. Check Sewell for the parts to see for sure.
Old 02-14-12, 06:27 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! Great job! Looks really great!
Old 02-14-12, 07:30 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdew002
Club, I'm pretty sure it can be done, but I think it is fairly costly - you know how Lexus is. Check Sewell for the parts to see for sure.
yea, i checked, used they run quite a bit so i may end up going for the aftermarket setup that way it will be an updated nav system that i can use and still look decent

Quick Reply: iPad Install in my GX