GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Audio sound intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-12, 10:18 AM
polschr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio sound intermittent

My '07 GX470 audio sound comes on intermittently. I keep the radio on always, but sometimes when I first start the car there's no sound. Then a while later suddenly there is sound and vice versa. If I start with sound, later it cuts out suddenly and there is no sound the rest of the trip. The Lexus dealer ordered a new amp 1/11/12 and it hasn't come in yet (2/18)- says it's on backorder. My question is - if I have a bad amp would I have sound at all? Would the problem be a wiring or connection issue? I didn't ask the service rep to check the wiring, I assumed he did. I have no hands free cell capability either while the sound is out. Thank you.
Old 02-19-12, 10:59 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

There is a issue to Certain Model on GX with related to the AMP issues where they become dead and suddenly they come back alive, They are intermittent. and I beleive your GX has qualified under the exchange program for the replacement. I think these were GX which were off the Tahara Plant and having the Pioneer as the Supplier. So get the replacement from the dealer and let us know how it has been.
Old 06-29-12, 01:02 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by polschr
My '07 GX470 audio sound comes on intermittently. I keep the radio on always, but sometimes when I first start the car there's no sound. Then a while later suddenly there is sound and vice versa. If I start with sound, later it cuts out suddenly and there is no sound the rest of the trip. The Lexus dealer ordered a new amp 1/11/12 and it hasn't come in yet (2/18)- says it's on backorder. My question is - if I have a bad amp would I have sound at all? Would the problem be a wiring or connection issue? I didn't ask the service rep to check the wiring, I assumed he did. I have no hands free cell capability either while the sound is out. Thank you.
I bought a nice 2009 LS-460 last week. Yesterday I was listening to my tunes and went inside to get a haircut. When I came out, NO AUDIO of any sort. I came home, made an appointment with my local Lexus Dealership and took it in. They advised they would have to replace the amplifier and it would be next week. I drove my car home and parked it in the garage and about 2-3 hours later I needed to back it out of the garage and when I did, the sound came on loud and clear. So, I will let them replace the amp since it's still under warranty, and I pray it's the Amp and not a wiring problem that causes intermittent problems. Good part is (if there is anything good about it) is that I have the ball rolling with the issue while it's under factory warranty. It is NOT a Mark Levinson radio, it is just Lexus Premium Sound. I hope the new amp fixes the issue.

My settings in the "Audio Mode" were locked up and I could not change the audio settings, and it showed the sound to be at the far right rear of the car. Working fine when I put my car back in the garage.

Good luck.
Old 07-25-12, 09:41 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Default Amp Issues

Originally Posted by mann777
There is a issue to Certain Model on GX with related to the AMP issues where they become dead and suddenly they come back alive, They are intermittent. and I beleive your GX has qualified under the exchange program for the replacement. I think these were GX which were off the Tahara Plant and having the Pioneer as the Supplier. So get the replacement from the dealer and let us know how it has been.
I have a 2009 LS-460 that was having intermittent audio. Lexus replaced the amp (under warranty). I've been driving it for two weeks now and yesterday, NO AUDIO. When I went into the audio settings, it showed the speakers to be set on far reat and right side of car, and all the controls locked up. I could not get the hands-free phone audio either. I do hope it's something else, and not a loose wire or something that will NEVER be found. I've only had the car about a month with 33,000 miles on it. Yesterday I was in and out of the car a lot and when I'd first start up, there was no audio, then a few minutes later, presto, I had audio. So it's back to doing the same thing. I take it in Monday and leave it with them to try and figure out what's wrong.

Any suggestions out there ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-28-12, 10:34 PM
mann777

if u are under warranty, I suggest dont do any method of troubleshooting, Let the dealer get this job done, sometime you may have to replace the entire harness and the hush kit NVH. let them conclude and say to you that they have exhausted all options and replaced every item.
Old 07-29-12, 07:34 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Default Amp Out !

if u are under warranty, I suggest dont do any method of troubleshooting, Let the dealer get this job done, sometime you may have to replace the entire harness and the hush kit NVH. let them conclude and say to you that they have exhausted all options and replaced every item.
Thanks, that's exactly what I intend to do. I have until November 26, 2012 to be under factory warranty and after that, I'm on the Lexus Platinum Extended Warranty another 4 years and I chose 75,000 miles on the odometer, but you can go longer if you wish. I take it in tomorrow and they will keep it until it's fixed. Second Amp in 30 days. I hope they get it right this time. Nice car, but no tunes.
Old 07-29-12, 10:03 PM
mann777

One thing you can query with them was a New harness used while replacing the AMP or existing harness used. Sometime the old harness if they have used, could be to low resistance you may have audio issues.
Old 07-30-12, 09:09 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Default No amp on ls-460

One thing you can query with them was a New harness used while replacing the AMP or existing harness used. Sometime the old harness if they have used, could be to low resistance you may have audio issues.
Thanks, and I did mention the harness. The Service Writer said they had talked about it and one suggested one of the speakers "Might" be faulty and shutting the amp down to protect itself. I'm doubting that for some reason but the amp has been totally dead for about 5 days since I went out of town in it and did want to drive it. It has not come back on, so that is good. Last time I took it in it had come back on and was working, and in the back of my mind, I'm thinking that just maybe the tech said, "It's working, so I'm NOT going to replace it" and didn't. Now that it's dead today, surely they will replace it, IF they elected not to about 30 days ago. They claim they have had very few issues with amps and that's why they don't stock them, but they are able to get them in about 2-3 days. I'm under warranty so I hope they work on it all week since I'm in their loan car.

I'll try to re-post what I find out. MY neighbor has the BIG SUV, whichever it is Lexus makes, and he said his last one was "Intermittent" the entire time he owned it. I'll trade cars before I start going in every 30 days for an amp.