GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

pictures of pitted wheels defect?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-12, 03:25 AM
kalcris
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JASP615,

Did you start out with the dealer and then go to Lexus, or right to Lexus?
Old 03-27-12, 08:47 AM
JASP615
Driver

Read this thread. It's my story hope it helps you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ims-fixed.html

Last edited by JASP615; 03-27-12 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-28-12, 12:48 PM
kalcris
Rookie

Great pursuit of what is right JASP615. I wonder if anyone ever threatened a class action, I'm sure the lawyers would find a metalurgist who could make the case against Lexus.
Old 03-30-12, 12:05 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ancient
A lot of people are going to the 4 Runner wheels. Did they have problems as well or not???????
No such problem with stock 4Runner alloy wheels as their surface is machined and not painted.
Old 03-30-12, 12:08 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kalcris
Great pursuit of what is right JASP615. I wonder if anyone ever threatened a class action, I'm sure the lawyers would find a metalurgist who could make the case against Lexus.
Its not the metal that is defective, but rather the coating that we have on the wheels.

My Lexus wheels started to pit after the warranty ran out... Yet the 4Runner wheels look as good as they did when I bought the truck.
Old 03-30-12, 01:05 PM
Badsupra10
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn thats crazy, i was gonna say this is happening to my mmr rims on my supra
Old 03-30-12, 01:09 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

must be a quality control issue, one of my wheel has pitting really bad but the other 3 has none, strange enough
Old 03-31-12, 07:21 AM
z0lt3c
Driver

There are plenty of 4runner owners reporting the same problems. There are plenty of Toyota owners of all vehicles reporting this problem. I already posted a picture of my factory chrome wheels which are pitted horribly -- so it's not just the painted the finish. Most people attribute the problems starting around 2004
Old 04-06-12, 06:35 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

All GX470 wheels with all finishes including chrome are DEFECTIVE. I always look at the wheels when a fellow GX drives by or parks near me, and its unbelievable that 95% of the wheels have some degree of corrosion. Lexus should be ashamed to have $50k trucks driving around with pitted wheels, kind of like wearing a tuxedo with ripped sneakers.
Old 04-06-12, 03:14 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
All GX470 wheels with all finishes including chrome are DEFECTIVE. I always look at the wheels when a fellow GX drives by or parks near me, and its unbelievable that 95% of the wheels have some degree of corrosion. Lexus should be ashamed to have $50k trucks driving around with pitted wheels, kind of like wearing a tuxedo with ripped sneakers.
Old 04-07-12, 06:15 AM
EricGreen
Driver School Candidate

My '05 has chrome rims and while they were dull when I bought it, they cleaned up and buffed out really nice, almost like new. I'm lucky enough to be in the southwest and other than dust and interior baking, cars hold up really well out here.

I do know that the combination of road chemicals and brake dust will corrode into anything! You have to be pro-active in road salt climates, no rims will/would hold up. If some of you do get new wheels, clean them well at a minimum every month - don't forget the backside either
Old 04-07-12, 06:35 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by redrocks
Lexus/Toyota rims have had this issue for years.
It's not just Lexus / Toyota... in salt-the-road states, its every chrome wheel, and even non-chrome wheels are susceptible to quicker corrosion and paint issues... I am contemplating new wheels on the wifes Vehicross right now because the chrome is peeling off the inside barrels of the wheels... Luckily, not so bad as to cause air loss, which is also common when the cracking is in the area where the tire seats on the wheel (the bead area)...

It can happen everywhere though, as I've seen it on cars in South Texas as well...
Old 04-07-12, 12:01 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by EricGreen
My '05 has chrome rims and while they were dull when I bought it, they cleaned up and buffed out really nice, almost like new. I'm lucky enough to be in the southwest and other than dust and interior baking, cars hold up really well out here.

I do know that the combination of road chemicals and brake dust will corrode into anything! You have to be pro-active in road salt climates, no rims will/would hold up. If some of you do get new wheels, clean them well at a minimum every month - don't forget the backside either

My GX has been in Houston since it had 6 miles on the odometer. Its always been in Houston and the PO was very **** about how she took care of her GX (I have 6 pages worth of maintenance history) and it still has the flaking chrome wheels.
Old 04-07-12, 06:18 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
My GX has been in Houston since it had 6 miles on the odometer. Its always been in Houston and the PO was very **** about how she took care of her GX (I have 6 pages worth of maintenance history) and it still has the flaking chrome wheels.
Exactly, I have since replaced my wheels with chrome Sequoia wheels and you guessed it, they are pitting too.
Old 04-08-12, 02:50 PM
EricGreen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RCsGX
IMO brake dust buildup alone will cause corrosion/pitting/separation on a wheel's surface if it isn't cleaned off properly from time to time. Some surfaces and finsihes may be worse than others with regards to this...

My '05 is from Houston too, full dealer service history at 90k miles. Luckily the chrome wheels are good, but I did have to put alot of elbow grease into them. I know now it will take minimal but routine cleaning to keep them perfect.

It is interesting to note that when I asked my local dealer parts guy about getting a new set of center caps with the gold Lexus emblem, he talked about how all chrome and special Lexus wheels (don't know if it includes the Gunmetal sport package rims) actually come from a wheel company in California, that Lexus bought the wheels from them and if I wanted center caps they would come from them. Maybe the original manufacturer of the wheels, if in fact it isn't Lexus, needs to be tracked down.

Last edited by EricGreen; 04-08-12 at 02:53 PM.

Quick Reply: pictures of pitted wheels defect?