GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Paint or refinishing for platinum wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-12, 06:07 AM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Paint or refinishing for platinum wheels?

The tire dealer used wheel weights on the outside of the rim. I had them redo this and go with inside adhesive weights. You can see the appropriate adhesive weights they used in the photo. photo. Unfortunately the wheel weight damage was done. When installing the weights the finish was completely chipped off. It was a real hack job with the weights. I don’t know what they were thinking.

These are platinum wheels. Has anyone found paint that matches the wheel? I can certainly fill in the gouges with a bondo compound but I need a matching paint. Hopefully someone has found a paint that matches. I am not to happy with them.

My first choice is the repair with a matching paint. Anyone know of a matching paint? thanks,
Attached Thumbnails Paint or refinishing for platinum wheels?-wheel-damage.jpg  
Old 04-23-12, 07:36 AM
zippymbr
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I know several guys that have had good luck with this. http://www.autogeek.net/wurth-1z-combo.html
Old 04-24-12, 04:12 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have asked about the color, on different posts about wheel pitting. No one has responded. I have a 2008. My wheel color is hyper silver. This is done with a black primer, then the silver wheel color over the black. Duplicolor probably makes a car touch up paint, that is close to our wheel color. Someone mentioned a Honda body color that was close, but I can't seem to find that anymore when searching. I don't have any pitting, since most of my wheels were replaced by Lexus, but I do have a couple of small chips.