GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Brake caliper question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-12, 07:22 AM
Wally20
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake caliper question

I have a 2004 GX. When we hit a bump, we get a loud rattle unless the brakes are depressed. Found the answer in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-of-bumps.html

I purchased my GX at a Lexus dealer about 400 miles away. The previous owner had a brake job done and replaced the front calipers with after-market parts instead of the OEM since he was about to trade it in. I took it to my local Lexus dealer who told me the anti-rattle spring "wasn't as beefy" as the OEM version and that's what's causing the rattle. Nothing they can do for me.

I came home and checked out the pins on the rattlling caliper (see part 47748B) http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X470-2004.html

I found that I was able to slide one of them back and forth about 1/8 of an inch. Makes me think maybe the internal spring is missing causing the loose fit. When I called the Lexus dealer I purchased from, the service manager said it's possible they didn't install the internal spring b/c the specs say it's optional.

Anyone have any insight here? MY main question is for anyone w/ after-market calipers to see if that pin fits tightly or if it has some room to move back and forth. Sorry for the long post and thanks!
Old 05-18-12, 05:37 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

I have after market calipers as well (my aftermarket warranty doesn't guarantee OEM part) and I have the same rattle, not sure if anything can be done. Post if u fix the problem
Old 05-19-12, 02:55 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 146 Posts

As I told Wally in some private exchanges. I had the problem for years with stock calipers, complained, Lexus could not "figure it out". Had new brakes and calipers done at private shop, same problem, complained to them , they fixed the problem with the anti rattle clips which are Lexus parts. The calipers were not OEM.
Old 05-20-12, 12:47 PM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default slide back and forth 1/8 inch?

I am not sure if I am reading your post correctly. I have never had on my GX and other cars an 1/8" play laterally of the pads. Usually here is not movement unless I compress the caliper using force on the pads. Stuck rotor piston?

I have used two complete sets of pads with aftermaarket anti-rattle spings on my GX. They looked just like the originals but of course I did not check tension to see if they were exactly like the originals.

Anyway just some thoughts.. I had you exact same problem (without the 1/8" play) with a Grand Cherokee. Stock pads and spings solved the probem for me. It was irritating to have the rattle you describle.
Old 05-20-12, 09:52 PM
mann777

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Sorry Wally, this is the first time I am hearing that the play would be 1/4. Never, they ( PINS whether Aftermarket or OEM) ) should sit just right and no play. Once the bleed is done. You should have it smooth. The First 10 minutes of your ride, you would have the brakes go down fully , normal, and then has this compression working towards the callipers inward. They should sit perfectly.
Old 05-22-12, 07:13 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Does the OEM anti rattle shims fit an aftermarket caliper? Sorry if this sounds dumb, but I'm not familiar with the anatomy of the brake system
Old 05-23-12, 11:35 AM
mann777

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Guys if your replacing the OEM Anti Rattle Springs, You must replace the Anti rattle with Hole Pin also, Just replacing the Anti Rattle would not settle the job. The Anti Squeal Shims must follow with the PIN Hole Clips. If not they would continue to rattle. Yes there are difference to OEM and Aftermarket Setup. I would disagree anyone going with a Half Lexus and Half Aftermarket setup. If anybody is trying to mix and match this, it would be definitely be a bit unprofessional.
It is would be better have the whole setup replaced if you are not happy.
The Setup on Lexus OEM set up is as belows
1. Brake Pad
2. Anti Squeal shims on both sides.
3. The Pin Hole Clips to hold the shims to the pads.
4. The Anti Rattle Springs onto the callipers.
5. The Anti Rattle with Hole Pin ( These go across the Callipers ) Cross bolts kinda..
6. All should be housed within the Disk Brake Cylinder Assy.
7. The Bleeder Plugs attached.
Old 05-24-12, 11:36 AM
Wally20
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aljodoro
I am not sure if I am reading your post correctly. I have never had on my GX and other cars an 1/8" play laterally of the pads. Usually here is not movement unless I compress the caliper using force on the pads. Stuck rotor piston?

I have used two complete sets of pads with aftermaarket anti-rattle spings on my GX. They looked just like the originals but of course I did not check tension to see if they were exactly like the originals.

Anyway just some thoughts.. I had you exact same problem (without the 1/8" play) with a Grand Cherokee. Stock pads and spings solved the probem for me. It was irritating to have the rattle you describle.

The play is not in the pads. The play is in the pin part desribed in the post above by man

5. The Anti Rattle with Hole Pin ( These go across the Callipers ) Cross bolts kinda..

This pin moves in and out about 1/8 of an inch. Seems like it should be a tight fit but it's not. Just wondering if someone could check the pin on theirs and tell me if it moves or not. You can reach through the wheel with your fingers and tell. Should be easy. Thanks for everyone's insight!